Flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flywheel

What was the reason to build flywheels so heavy? Common to shave pounds off when doing an overhaul. I'm working on another car with a smaller engine than an A and the flywheel weighs close to #50. There must have been an engineering reason.

that is how Henry was able to make a crank without counterweights work

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      It also helps in letting the clutch out without stalling the motor

Every car company was still going thru a learning process at the time.

It was all about momentum and stored energy, supposedly made driving easier. Just let the clutch out and go.

Comment

Then it seems that flywheel weight was replaced with shear horsepower.

Comment

Some flywheel weight is replaced with crankshaft counterweights. Clutch discs were also improved with damper springs. Recently I pulled mine out.. solid disc. I hope to see an improvement with a dampened disc and V8 pressure plate as I was told they have a smoother engagement.

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          Make sure your V-8 pressure plates finger pins are not held in by E clips or you''l be down and out on the side of the road

Related Topics

Collapse

• DaWizard
        Model A lightened flywheel profile.
        by DaWizard
        Ok, after doing an extensive site search, I have come up blank, so asking here.

I need some type of a drawing with dimensions to give to my machinist with the lightened flywheel profile. Everyone says "lighten the flywheel" but I can't find a drawing to dictate where and how much meat to remove.

Thrill me and produce me a picture I can copy and print for the machinist.
        02-09-2019, 11:05 PM
      • 2manycars
        Multi Plate Clutch Info!
        by 2manycars
        The inside of the flywheel is the most critical part. If the internal splines are worn to where they have divots from the teeth on the clutch pack rattleing, the clutch will not release well. Also, that flywheel looks from the photo to be the early flywheel with out the releaf for the starter drive, so an early starter would be necessary. The transmission gears look good, so that is a plus, and the...
        03-01-2018, 07:23 AM
      • OTTAWAED
        Flywheel Surface Depth
        by OTTAWAED
        What is the correct factory distance between the flywheel face and the clutch cover plate mounting surface. Brattons states 1.123 in in their catalogue. I measured 1.179 on an old flywheel which, of course may have been altered. Ed
        01-11-2019, 10:15 AM
      • Steve Plucker
        Converting MD Clutch to a SD Clutch system...
        by Steve Plucker
        Has anyone ever converted a Multi-Disc Clutch system to a Single Disc Clutch system on a 1928 Model A/AA Ford YET maintain that 1928 look on the outside of the chassis???

If so, just what is the procedure to do so?

Could it be wrote up to include in this fourm???

Thanks.

Pluck
        11-10-2018, 11:35 AM
      • Roadster Rich
        Stuck Clutch
        by Roadster Rich
        My car is now in Venice Florida since last summer. I last drove it in September and had a pretty bad leaking water pump. So I repaired that and just went to go for a ride. Started up like a champ, but the clutch is stuck and pushing in the pedal does nothing. I am right on the gulf and in a garage that is not dehumidified so I suspect it is corrosion causing this.

I seem to have heard...
        02-19-2018, 04:37 PM
      • BillLee/Chandler, TX
        Clutch matters...
        by BillLee/Chandler, TX
        My car has a lightened flywheel and a V8 clutch. It came that way from an engine build from the mid-80's. The pressure plate has some chunks of steel welded on it, apparently for balancing. Note in the picture the slug of steel welded in at about the 9 o'clock position, and another welded into the hole over the spring at about the 3:30 position. I haven't looked closely (yet) to see if there is any...
        11-05-2018, 11:39 AM
      • Tgenardi
        Bad clutch??
        by Tgenardi
        Just purchased a 1930 Model A with a 1980 Jeep engine and 1939 transmission from what I was told. It may have an adapter between bell housing and transmission. When you put the clutch in, you can change gears, but the vehicle doesn't move. The previous owner said it just went out as she had other potential buyers test driving the vehicle. The clutch pedal is kind of soft.
        I'm looking for some...
        08-06-2018, 08:59 AM
      • 40B1930
        Clutch Chatter Diagnosis
        by 40B1930
        After 60 miles of shake-down drives, I am hearing clutch disc chatter with the trans. in nuetral. When I press the clutch pedal in to the point where the slack is taken up the chatter stops. After driving the car for a few miles the chatter is gone (maybe the grease on the new throw-our bearing thins after warming)?
        1. All parts are new
        2. Clutch disc was centered
        3. Pressure plate...
        08-26-2018, 07:08 PM
      • pAAt
        Multi clutch Trans
        by pAAt
        Picked up a complete multi trans from flywheel to u-joint and all looks great except for the ring gear. I'm sure that's why they pulled it and lucky for me. The ring gear might be able to be flipped (worn about half way through), but I'll replace it. Anyone know if they're all the same as a single disc flywheel ? I found out today they are the same ring gear. I was told the clutch pack looks very...
        04-27-2018, 03:42 PM
      • Paul K.
        Clutch Disc F150 3spd w/OD
        by Paul K.
        I need a Clutch Disc for the F150 Transmission Input Shaft. Need 9"dia, 10 teeth spline and 1 1/6" shaft to install with a Model A Clutch and Throw Out Bearing on Model A Flywheel.
        The hole for the Torsion Spring hub on the Model A Pressure Plate is 5" dia.
        Folks say use 86 TBird 2.3L 4cyl Turbo, but that hub is about 5 3/4" dia. Have learned that are using the...
        03-14-2018, 04:57 PM
      Working...
      X