Shimming rear hub question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shimming rear hub question

When I disassembled the rear brakes for sending out for overhaul I found a worn through shim on the left rear hub. I'm about ready to reassemble the new rear brakes and am wondering how and what to check for as far as shimming is concerned. I ordered up a couple of new shims to have on hand just in case.
    http://www.turnbophotography.com

Make sure everything is installed correctly, brakes and so forth and the backing plate is not bent. . If the drum does not rub when spinning it by hand you are good to go without shims. If the axle taper or hub has wear then sometimes they are necessary because the drum slides on to far.
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Thanks Mitch.
      http://www.turnbophotography.com

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• GranTudor
        Rear Hub Removal
        by GranTudor
        I have tried to remove the rear hub on my 1931 CCPU and can't seem to remove it. I have all brakes off and the adjuster turned all the way out and used a hub puller to loosen the hub. Nut is off. Hub still binds and won't come off . What should I try next? Grant
        05-06-2018, 10:47 AM
      • Jamey E
        Quick question for you A experts
        by Jamey E
        Is there anything I need to replace with doing just a brake inspection?? I plan to grease bearings while apart, but should I order hub seals or anything else before I start? I’m thinking the brakes just need adjusted, but I won’t know till we tear into it...
        07-09-2019, 09:45 PM
      • wrndln
        Rear drum/hub removal problem
        by wrndln
        This is a continuation of trying to remove a drum/hub from a rear end from my 29 CCPU. I posted a message last fall about this problem, but I thought I would start a new string. I tried to remove it last fall with a smaller older hub puller and never got it to budge. I left the old puller on the hub as tight as I could get it for a couple weeks and nothing happened. Yesterday I got a loaner modern...
        05-07-2020, 06:40 PM
      • dswoodh
        uneven wear rear spindles
        by dswoodh
        Pulled rear wheels to check brakes. Found drivers side castle nut loose and noticed some play in hub. Could not remove drum but was able to remove drum and hub together. Noticed where hub was rubbing on the E brake mechanism and where the main linings were also rubbing on the drum. On the passenger side hub was tight and there was a 1/8 in clearance between the E brake mechanism and the hub. I will...
        04-24-2020, 06:01 PM
      • wrndln
        Removing rear hub/drum
        by wrndln
        I have a rearend that I can't get one of the hub/drums off. I removed the other side and it was easy to remove. The hub has a raised area on it and I have a 1928 hub puller tool (it looks like a Ford puller that is very well made) that fits perfect on the raise rib on the hub. I tightened the screw on the puller to the point I can't turn it anymore. The hub is on extremely tight and being old I...
        11-25-2019, 06:11 PM
      • Corley
        Hub to Hub axle measurement?
        by Corley
        Anyone know the "wheel mounting surface" to "wheel mounting surface" on a model A tudor rear axle, and is it the same for all years (28-31, I think yes). Not looking for the track width, that is something different. Of course I can measure it, but that is difficult without removing the wheels, and the word "lazy" enters my thinking on that. (I'm thinking with a 56"...
        04-02-2019, 12:34 PM
      • pAAt
        AA worm drive hub
        by pAAt
        On my worm drive, I pulled the rear hubs off to check brakes and found castellated nut loose with no cotter pin. Looked like it was also missing a washer to make nut workable. My question is, is this hub a snug fit on the tapered shaft of the axle like the Model A hub ? I've made a washer that fits, but was wondering about tightening this thing up tightly. Thanks, Pat
        07-23-2018, 07:08 AM
      • Denis4x4
        Rear axle issues
        by Denis4x4
        Recently, the right rear drum is rubbing on the backing plate (39-42 Hydraulics). The right rear axle is 4-9/16" from the hub to the end of the axle. The left rear axle is 4-11/16" That 1/8" can not be shimmed as the contact on the shoes will be affected and how the drum seats on the axle taper. I pulled the axles and gears and can not figure where the 1/8" is missing. There's...
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        06-04-2020, 05:08 PM
      • carolinamudwalker
        Axle shims
        by carolinamudwalker
        When adding rear axle shims do you lubricate the hub with anything to help it torque up easier? It is hard to get the hub on without getting grease on the axle anyway. Maybe liquid soap!
        07-06-2019, 07:27 AM
      • Great Lakes Greg
        Front hub interchangeability
        by Great Lakes Greg
        Are all front hubs interchangeable for all years. Not drums. Hubs....
        06-18-2020, 05:41 PM
      Working...
      X