Engine stand adapter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine stand adapter question

O.K. I must be missing something here. How does one go about securing the adapter to the engine block with these lower two thumbscrews? I know the top two holes of the adapter bolt up to the water inlet port on the side of the block, but dont see how these lower two could possibly mount to the oil pan flange on the block. Main reason is the major diameter of the threaded portion of the thumbscrew is to large for the oil pan mounting holes in the block and the small end of the thumbscrew is unthreaded stub?

Hope I'm being clear enough.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Brian, I have not had the commercial adapters in my hand so I cannot be exactly sure. We made our own.
    However I am fairly certain I understand the question, the thread of the thumbscews doesn't fit the pan rail 5/16 threaded holes, correct?
    If I were faced with that I would drill out the holes in the adapter, and use my own 5/16 bolts into the pan rail.

It is possible someone else on here has dealt with this issue and has a different answer.

Comment

I have the same one. Just put the unthreaded nose into the hole pan holes on the block
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Brian, it is simple, you mount the two top holes to the water inlet holes and remove the two corresponding pan bolts and the minor diameter slides into the now vacant holes to press against the mount.
        You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

O.k., so then they just press against the pan flange on the block. Seems like it would have been better for them to thread into it. What the he.l do I know. would have given two more mounting points.
          Brian W.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian in Wheeling View Post
            O.k., so then they just press against the pan flange on the block. Seems like it would have been better for them to thread into it. What the he.l do I know. would have given two more mounting points.
            Brian W.
            Exactly, press they do.
            You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian in Wheeling View Post
              Seems like it would have been better for them to thread into it.
              I thought the same thing the first time I used one
              3 ~ Tudor's
              Henry Ford said
              "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Hey, if you really want to bolt them to the pan flange, just drill out the threads in the mount and run a bolt through it from the top. Heh, I don't care, the results are the same, but I know I have done a lot of work without falter using it as designed.

Comment

Yup! First time I used it I had my doubts also. I called Mr Stipe, the seller, to confirm I had the correct understanding. It worked just fine and held the engine as I rotated it. Try it on faith and the testimony of those who have used it. You will become comfortable with it.
                  BudP
                  Last edited by BudP; 04-14-2019, 09:29 PM.

Comment

I like the added security of a couple 5/16 bolts going right into the pan rail, myself

your choice

Comment

Hey, I have even used the big block mounting on the rear of the A block with good success

Comment

There way prevents any cross threading of the pan bolt holes due to minor misalignment.

Comment

O.K. thanks for the replies of field experience usin it. I would feel better if it had been made so the lower holes could be bolted. Just because I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy...I may ending up doing what tbirdtbird says and drill the holes clean and clear so I can run a couple bolts into the pan rail. Drilling out the threads eliminates Russ/40's concern of misalignment of the bolts/threads.

Thanks again....Get out and drive them thangs!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• 4port
                            Is this engine stand mount safe?
                            4port
                            by 4port
                            This mount was sold by Auto Care & Restoration, and is no longer made. To start off the bolt center is not correct to bolt up to the water out flange. I will have to drill out one hole to get the bolts into the block. The engine is only supported by these two bolts. The pan rail is only connected by two pins that fit loosely through the pan rail, giving no additional support when the engine...
                            09-05-2021, 02:11 PM
                          • popsjohn
                            Engine Pan Installation
                            popsjohn
                            by popsjohn
                            My Town Sedan did not have engine pans when I purchased it. I have read on this forum that it is desirable to have them since they were part of the original design. I purchased a pair of powder coated ones and need some guidance on how to get them installed. On the advise of our local club's technical advisor I have dropped the oil pan while changing the oil for the first time. I thought this...
                            04-29-2020, 07:33 AM
                          • Mike Peters
                            Holes in dipper tray
                            Mike Peters
                            by Mike Peters
                            I hauled a 30 Tudor home last week and am going through the engine before starting it up, as the car has a 1963 license plate, and hasn't been run since 1970. Pulled the oil pan and saw these holes in the dipper tray. I don't remember seeing any drilled holes in any other engine I've ever pulled apart, so new one on me. What these holes apparently do is to limit the level of oil in the individual...
                            09-21-2021, 01:57 PM
                          • rusty
                            Engine oiling question.
                            rusty
                            by rusty
                            I found an area on the block that was probably damaged at the factory when they were removing casting flash. Comparing it to another block this area looks to be about a 1/4" low. Looks like this would starve the rear of the motor for oil. I'm thinking about bolting on a piece of lite gauge metal to raise this area up. Has anyone seen this before and what are your thoughts?
                            This gallery has 2 photos.
                            01-11-2021, 07:41 PM
                          • dmaxweb
                            Transporting Short Block
                            dmaxweb
                            by dmaxweb
                            I will be bringing home my newly rebuilt short block (oil pan, head, timing gear cover, flywheel/housing - all off). I want something more stable and secure than just laying it on an old tire. Thinking about building a simple wood stand/cradle of sorts. With the pan off, how much space do I need below the block to clear the crank? Anybody built one like this?
                            09-29-2021, 11:05 PM
                          • Chuck Sea/Tac
                            Casting holes
                            Chuck Sea/Tac
                            by Chuck Sea/Tac
                            Anyone know how these casting holes were factory sealed.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.
                            07-04-2017, 04:00 PM
                          • Bikerider58
                            Suck it out or let it drip - - oil change
                            Bikerider58
                            by Bikerider58
                            Sludge in the bottom of the pan is common due to non-detergent oil. If 10 years of non-detergent and 10+ modern detergent oil and engine build; then it seems like the sludge would be cleaned out. I still had a good layer of about 3/8 inch.

I did not check when the pan was off, but suspect a good amount of oil is in the pan below the drain hole. With the engine tilt it seems like there...
                            03-23-2019, 01:58 AM
                          • CabrioletDon
                            Engine too far forward, so can't get oil pan off!
                            CabrioletDon
                            Jr Member
                            by CabrioletDon
                            Noobie (and probably stupid question), but I'm trying to remove the oil/crankcase pan on the 1930 Cabriolet I'm working on restoring--and the front two bolts on the oil pan are visible, but partially blocked by the forward cross member. I can see the sides of the bolt heads, but there is not nearly enough space to get even a thin-wall socket on them.

Is it possible that the whole drivetrain...
                            01-27-2019, 11:46 AM
                          • Skinnedknuckles
                            petcocks on engine block.
                            Skinnedknuckles
                            Jr Member
                            by Skinnedknuckles
                            I want to drain the radiator and engine block cooling fluid. I must be blind. I see no petcock on the radiator and none on the engine block. Engine is 1937 60 HP. On the block shouldn’t there be two? One for each bank?
                            Will one of you point out where to find these petcocks please?...
                            11-06-2018, 05:44 PM
                          • copgib
                            Engine Stand
                            copgib
                            by copgib
                            Ok I am here to ask all the experts what would be the best engine stand to buy that I could work on a Model A engine with? I am hoping to get one that will hold a Model A engine with the transmission attached. looking forward to your advise. Hugh
                            12-13-2019, 09:55 PM
                          Working...
                          X