Installing new brake shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing new brake shoes

Have removed the rear brake shoes from the rear brake system BUT left the emergency brake carrier plate intact.

Now I want to install the rear brake shoes (with new pads) and find that it is going to be a not so fun job.

Is there any special tools or tricks that one should know about to accomplish this task?

It probably would be better to remove the emergency brake carrier plate from the backing plate but if I can accomplish the task without doing so, that would be great.

Thanks.

Pluck
    Last edited by Steve Plucker; 08-27-2017, 05:58 AM.

I always remove the carrier, it's just 4 nuts and you won't be fighting with it. The last time i tried to do it assembled I screwed up a spring and nicked up my finger from slipping off
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Done...not as bad as I thought.

Pluck

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Well which way did u do it?????

Related Topics

Collapse

• Great Lakes Greg
      Brake wedge pills
      by Great Lakes Greg
      I hope this isn't too trivial. I have done a dozen brake jobs, and done right in my humble opinion. Mostly cast iron drums, arced shoes, centered by welding and grinding the tracks until the shoes are spot on centered, all new hardware. The front brake actuating lever is supposed to be 15 degrees forward. To attain this I always, and I mean always, have to add two pills to the front wedge. I can't...
      06-20-2020, 10:59 AM
    • Steve Plucker
      Proper placement of Emergency Brake Band...
      by Steve Plucker
      When viewing the Emergency Brake Band where the two attachments are for attaching the A-2628 Emergency Brake Toggle Links, you will notice that the attachments are wider from the edge of the brake band than the other side...3/8" compaired to 1/4".

This means you can put the band on the Emergency Brake Carrier Plate Assembly one of two ways.

One way, will put the...
      04-06-2020, 03:26 PM
    • bosticjb
      Brake shoes
      by bosticjb
      What is the best brake shoes for the model A any recommendations Need good stopping power...
      07-19-2019, 04:37 PM
    • Steve Plucker
      Rear Backing plates
      by Steve Plucker
      I am trying to determine just why I can not get the rear hubs on my fully assembled rear backing plates.

When the backing plates are assembled to the rear axle and the brake wedges are fully bottomed out...the hubs will not go on.

I do not want to force them as I probably will not get them off.

Every part was looked at for quality, length, what ever.
      01-26-2020, 05:00 AM
    • Dennis
      Brake shoe wear
      by Dennis
      Which end of the brake shoe wears the most? The end at the adjuster, or the end at the wedge?
      07-05-2019, 12:19 AM
    • Denis4x4
      39-42 Lockeed rear brake issues
      by Denis4x4
      In September, I replaced all of the wheel cylinders and cleaned up the backing plates etc. This is a photo of the left rear brake on a Model A rear end. Had the original Ford logo brake shoes relined. The ebrake cables are Locar and work with the A ebrake handle. The ebrake arms are in a bind and the only things I can identify as issues are the guides on the backing plates where the ebrake arms....
      12-06-2018, 04:24 PM
    • Bob C
      Emergency brake or hand brake
      by Bob C
      While going through the parts book trying to identify some brake rods I noticed Ford changed the name three times.
      A-2853-AR Rod, emergency brake lever to cross shaft 1928-29.
      A-2856-D Rod, emergency hand brake lever to cross shaft 1930-31.
      A-2853-E Rod, hand brake lever to cross shaft assembly 1931.

Bob
      09-26-2017, 04:49 PM
    • Tom Wesenberg
      Pay Attention to Details
      by Tom Wesenberg
      This is what happens when you don't pay attention to details. Someone used a thin E clip, rather than the correct thicker U clip to secure the parking brake lever to the brake shoe. They also left out the wavy washer between the two parts, and this left the parking brake lever loose enough so the cable spring pushed it outward, where it rode against the brake drum. One wear spot is where the cable...
      05-14-2018, 05:52 PM
    • carolinamudwalker
      Arcing shoes
      by carolinamudwalker
      Just my attempt to arc my shoes to their drums. I rotated the shoe back and forth in the drum until it moved smoothly. Could not find anybody that still did this in my area. I did not try to put the drum with sticky back sandpaper on the car but it would have been faster
      04-24-2018, 09:47 AM
    • Farmputzer
      Brake adjusting wedge/backing plate
      by Farmputzer
      I suspect that the brake adjusting wedge threads are stripped in the backing plate. The brake adjusting wedge turns very hard and the brake shoes never produce more drag as I keep turning the adjusting wedge in. I have new brake adjusting wedges and brake adjusting shafts. It seems that my best option is to find a different front backing plate. Thoughts?
      11-26-2019, 08:05 PM
    Working...
    X