Battery cut off switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery cut off switch

Beau here is the switch I use and have for years they re well made.https://www.delcity.net/store/Master...=W8rgPpBk&crid alsohttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Pollak-Keyed-Master-Battery-Disconnect-Switch-Ignition-with-On-Off-Face-Plate-/302218250763?hash=item465d9c8a0b

check e-bay better prices but that should give you an idea of what you want the suppliers make a metal bracket for mounting these down by the starter.

That's a nice switch Chief posted but i prefer mine mounted in the cabin, where it's easy to reach and out of sight .
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too mine is under the driver seat and I can reach it Beauford has a pickup which is whu i mentioned it

And which wire should/could be disconnected, Or is this a topic like WW tires, oil, etc! :-)

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      i prefer the ground also which on a stock Model A would be the positive

I prefer ground and yeah this has been highly discussed.

Comment

Ground for me also. In my coupe it was in the cross member in front of the seat. Did not show and easy to get to.
      In my pickup I put it under the floor board. It has a plate over that swings to the side. You can turn it on and off sitting in the driver seat.

Comment

Beauford might like that tip george.

Comment

Thanks guys! On a mini vaca with the family so just catching up. I'll order one this week!!

Comment

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            HEY mother

YOU were just away on vacation recently... HAA

have fun and enjoy

Just so everybody is clear on this, a battery cutoff switch alone is NOT a safety shutoff! The engine will continue to run, with the genny or alternator powering the entire electrical system- even if you have a hot smoking short circuit.

If you also want it to function as an engine kill to stop generated power to the electrical system you need a double pole switch like this:

The heavy lugs break the battery. The smaller (rated 20A) are wired to break the ignition and, if you have them, electric fuel shutoff and fuel pump. THAT stops the engine in an emergency and in turn stops the running genny or alternator from powering a damaged electrical system independent of the battery. If you have an alternator you need to be careful not to wire this switch to break the entire alternator output from the output lug. That is usually fatal for the alternator. Many racing sanctions demand this type of switch and they can also be wired into the alternator internal circuit for a safe instant kill as an alternative to splicing into the ignition and fuel supply.

Of course, in a running engine electrical emergency you could just remember to shut off BOTH the ignition and battery, but this dual switch makes it simple. Mounting of a combination cutoff and emergency kill switch like this should be in a location accessible from the driver's seat and with the cutoff lugs breaking the ground connection for maximum safety.

I like my switches mounted through the center cross-member, with an access hole in the floorboard. Just lift up the corner of the mat or rug to flip the switch.

Last edited by MikeK; 08-27-2017, 10:50 AM. Reason: Syntax correction.

Comment

• Big hammer
            Big hammer commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Mike!

• BNCHIEF
            BNCHIEF commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Mike great post and info.

All a personal choice where the switch is located... As long as it's safely installed ---you're good. With my late 31 I used the mount on the starter and with my long arms I can easily grab the fuel valve from the driver's side.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• BNCHIEF
            Battery cut off switch
            by BNCHIEF
            Original Thread

Beau here is the switch I use and have for years they re well made.https://www.delcity.net/store/Master...=W8rgPpBk&crid alsohttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Pollak-Keyed-Master-Battery-Disconnect-Switch-Ignition-with-On-Off-Face-Plate-/302218250763?hash=item465d9c8a0b

check e-bay better prices but that should give you an idea of what you want the suppliers make...
            08-25-2017, 04:06 PM
          • Tom Wesenberg
            Hard to Push Starter Switch was an Easy Fix
            by Tom Wesenberg
            I know a lot of Model A's now use the starter mounted fuse, and this past Saturday I fixed a starter switch that you almost had to use both feet to get it to make contact. The fuse holder bracket was mounted UNDER the lip on the starter switch, so I moved it to the top side. Now it pushes very easy, as it should. Mounting the fuse under the lip will also make the switch set slanted to the copper button,...
            08-23-2017, 09:59 AM
          • 47 monarch
            Oil sending switch
            by 47 monarch
            I want to replace my oil sending switch in my 47 monarch . Will any switch work? I know / believe it needs to be 80 lbs. Thanks for any help
            05-17-2019, 09:31 AM
          • Beauford
            Starter Switch
            by Beauford
            Need help fast as I have a car show tomorrow. Last night I painted my new to me starter as mine fried yesterday. I installed this morning and I think I know why my other fried. The switch sticks (new repop) so I have cut the juice off to the RPU. What should I do????
            04-26-2019, 06:22 AM
          • BILL WILLIAMSON
            "HOT" SWITCH?
            by BILL WILLIAMSON
            "Sometimes" I read of electrical problems that are quite CONFUSING???
            It's good to know if your Ignition Switch is still wired in the original configuration, or if it has been rewired to a so called "HOT" switch, like most cars are. MANY cars have been modified, in their SORRID background!
            Dad Switcharoo
            04-12-2018, 07:33 AM
          • slammin
            Battery disconnect switch ratings
            by slammin
            While I'm recovering from foot surgery, I'm planning projects for the Model A. I want to put a battery disconnect switch in the floor between the front seats. All my research finds I should use at least a #2 gauge cable. I've found an outfit that will make up insulated cables. Now checking the switches, Brattons is the only vendor to list the ratings, 40 amps at 6 volts. Is that enough to handle the...
            03-24-2018, 11:58 PM
          • DaWizard
            Backup Switch
            by DaWizard
            Since I was asked about how I installed a backup switch in my shifter tower, here is what I did.

First, removed the tower and set it up vertical on a Bridgeport mill. This was easily done since the tower has machined surfaces that are at a right angle to each other. So I used a 8" angle plate anchored to the mill table, indexed the shifter rail end to the mill head, did a small removal
            04-02-2018, 10:46 AM
          • Chevmn56
            Most Agravating Thing to Work on On the Model A
            by Chevmn56
            Hey Guys I know i dont have the experience or knowledge that you guys have, but man i will say that i think the Model A light switch has been the worst to work on. After messing with the dam thing for 4hrs (im not a quitter) i finally gave up and called Berts. Steve took about 5 minutes to straighten me out and get me on the right road, i felt like a complete bone head.

In trying to install...
            05-24-2018, 10:22 AM
          • Beauford
            WIZ!! WIZ!!
            by Beauford
            Wiz, what was the fix on the repo brake switch you told me to do as the road was pulling out the switch? Someone else has this problem and I know you told me how to fix it and I forgot. Still works!!!
            12-18-2018, 06:53 PM
          • Tom Wesenberg
            Pictures of Fluted and Twolite Switch Contact Plates
            by Tom Wesenberg
            I finally found my pictures of the two main switch plates used on Model A's. I don't have a picture of the switch used with early 28's, and have only seen one of them about 20 years ago. Maybe someone has a picture to fill that one in. The blue background is the 4 contacts switch used with FLUTED headlamps with 3 positions, and the lower left in the picture just shows an extra contacts part I had....
            11-04-2017, 09:47 AM
          Working...
          X