Name That Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name That Generator

This is the generator that was on the car when I received it in 1993. It has performed well, and I am trying to determine its origin. It has the oilers at both ends and two wires coming from the grommeted hole where the stud to the cutout is usually found. One of the wires is connected to the cutout, the other is a ground to the one of the cutout screws. The pulley is two piece, riveted together, with the short tapir. The band covering the brush area has a semicircular indentation for where the cutout stud would be but if moved to that position will expose about 1/4" of the interior of the generator. Obviously too narrow for the generator.

I have a cutout on it now because the Fun Projects regulator (disguised as a cutout) I have had for at least 15 years started giving discharge readings at low RPM which it has not done previously, so may be at the end of it's life. Changes to the movable brush did not change the discharge reading. The cutout I have on the generator came with it and appears to have been serviced as the welds were broken, the coils and whole interior very clean, and the points look like new. The cover has the Ford script and a B stamped at the battery terminal. I have it adjusted for a 4 amp charge at high idle for daytime driving (I seldom if ever drive the car at night). The adjusting brush of the generator is at about the 2:00 o'clock position.

Any comments on the generator and/or cutout would be appreciated.
    Last edited by gdaquilina; 03-25-2019, 03:54 PM. Reason: See photo on next post

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

post Model A

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...=1522#post1522
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Chuck Sea/Tac
        Generator output
        by Chuck Sea/Tac
        I was helping a guy get his A started today. Shorted ignition switch. After it ran the ampmeter showed no charge. Would show discharge with lights on. The output of the generator post was the same as the output side of the cutout. 6.1 v. At idle or revved up. Does this indicate the generator is not putting out. Will the output stud of the generator show an output before the cutout closes? Tia
        07-21-2019, 02:43 AM
      • Chuck Sea/Tac
        Generator changes
        by Chuck Sea/Tac
        I’ve looked in the judging guide and As Henry Built It, but can’t find when the L2 generator switched from a output wire, to a output stud.
        The hole in the case is the same( oval), just , I assume, a different size hole in the grommet? Anyway, does anyone have documentation when this happened? Tia
        02-14-2021, 03:41 PM
      • Chuck Sea/Tac
        Generator rpm
        by Chuck Sea/Tac
        Does anyone know the correlation/formula for engine to generator rpm?
        07-11-2020, 12:36 PM
      • conaway2
        Polarizing a Generator
        by conaway2
        I’ve read a lot of posts on this, but the procedure still isn’t completely clear to me.

I’ve just disassembled a generator to re-wrap the field coils with Scotch glass electrical tape, and then cleaned and re-assembled it.

It will motor with my 6 volt 10 amp battery charger attached to it - negative to output post and positive to generator case.

If I connect...
        12-15-2020, 05:07 PM
      • Jim Baskin III
        Weird generator problem
        by Jim Baskin III
        A friend just called and said as soon as he turns the ignition switch on the generator runs or tries very hard against the belt.The first thing he did was replace the generator and same problem.Going down tomorrow to look.

Ideas on possible causes very welcome.This one has me stumped off the top of my head.
        07-01-2019, 06:38 PM
      • smittykid
        Proper charge rate?
        by smittykid
        I'm running a 6 volt generator on a pos. ground system. I was afraid the old cut out was over charging the battery. I replaced the old cut out with a new NUREX semi-conductor cut out. At regular idle the amp meter shows about 5-6 amps of charge. Running down the road- 40mph it shows around 12 amps charge. No lights on. What is the correct charge rate? Maybe the old cut out wasn't bad after...
        08-17-2017, 10:28 AM
      • Jamey E
        Alternator to generator
        by Jamey E
        If a person wanted to change their car back as it would have been originally, with a generator, what would you have to do to make it correct? We have a new alternator now on the car & have access to a couple generators. Thanks...
        08-06-2019, 01:57 PM
      • Fredski
        Generator cutout with diode installed ( brattons part)
        by Fredski
        Designed for 20amps. My. Question is can I adjust generator at full amps and this will act as a regulator not to overcharge the battery. If not is somthing available to work.

fred g
        02-05-2019, 11:42 AM
      • Soapy
        Generator Cutout Question
        by Soapy
        The generator on my Tudor is Ford, but not Model A. Instead of a post, there is a green wire. I don't think that it was connected properly, and ran under the cutout, where the metal edge was cutting into the insulation. I changed it around and this is what I ended up with. Other than a lack of originality, is this all correct? (I don't have the lighting wire attached)
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        12-07-2019, 11:38 AM
      • gdaquilina
        Model A Generators
        by gdaquilina
        The generator I have on my Town Sedan now has an oil cap on the front and rear plates with bushings on both ends. The output connection is on the rear of the cutout and two wires exit the output connection. Am I correct in assuming that this is maybe an early V-8 generator? If it is, is their any difference in its output from the Model A ones? All internals appear as the parts diagrams show for...
        12-17-2018, 07:51 PM
      Working...
      X