Got frame back from blasting...Not good news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got frame back from blasting...Not good news

As you can see from the photos below I'm probably going to need a new front crossmember so keep your eyes open. All of the pictures are from the front mount each a different area.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 7 photos.

Mine was very similar, maybe far worse.

I knew the former original owner who had four (4) sons, (2) still living), who rode on brutal mud roads in rough farm fields with my present Model A Coupe loaded with field farm workers and crossed unprepared railroad crossing maybe minimum (6) times a day, with RR tracks at least 6" high. The added box in the back was overloaded often with heavy items, dirt fill, and field hands.

My 1958 acquired $25.00, 1930 Model A Coupe had no doubt taken a most severe unimaginable brutal beating.

After purchase, I far more carefully drove it with these same front cross member cracks and missing rivets for 38 years with no problems on both paved roads, and while hunting on muddy roads.

About 23 years ago, I took a cold chisel and removed all front cross member rivets and used a Dremmel tool to cut vees above and below all steel cracks, followed by welding all vee joints and grinding same smooth.

Next I re-riveted the cross member with all new rivets after making a rivet back-up device to back up all difficult to back up rivets.

From actual hands on "experience", (and not just Model A Forum guessing), after riding 23 years with a former well cracked, half riveted front member with no problems, I have no fear of riding with a newly welded, fully riveted prior cracked cross member.

On the other hand, there is absolutely nothing wrong with acquiring and installing a better used front cross member, or maybe a new front cross member, or welding yours, and riveting yours, as is in place. (Just easier to grind welds when removed).

We will never ever encounter these horrible 1930 brutal pot hole laden roads and high rail railroad crossings again.

Just sincerely hope this helps.
    Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 03-19-2019, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      “We will never ever encounter these horrible 1930 brutal pot hole laden roads”

Are you sure about that Henry. Come north this time of year after the salt and brine as taken its toll all winter. We have some real landmines

Still repairable.
    Much like the firewall, this too, can be overcome. .
    Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

My front cross member had a wicked crack in it that I thought was a game changer. I contracted with a welder service who came to my house and proceeded to dig out the crack (almost) and proceeded to weld it back in full. That section of my cross member is now stronger than the remainder of the cross member. Mine is fixed. I believe that yours can be repair welded also. This is my two cents.

Comment

It is a hell of a lot of work to rivet in a new crossmember. They all look like yours, in fact yours looks better than most . If that were in our shop we would have it welded up in an hr

Remember in the early days these cars were beat to death on horrible roads, and had very inadequate shocks, although I admit they were the best available at the time.

In reality, lever action Houdaille style shocks are not much better than none, when you compare to the performance of tube shocks. I am aware there are ppl who will disagree with me.

However, if Houdaille style were so good, they would still be making them and using them today

If you are fine point, you have no choice, and you prolly do not tour with your car anyway, so in that case the Houdaille are fine
        Last edited by tbirdtbird; 03-19-2019, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Drill holes at the ends of those cracks. This will stop them from spreading further, then weld that sucker up. Fix up the rivets and your done. Easy Peasy
          4~ Tudor's
          1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Can I weld this with my MIG welder? I also have 115V arc welder.

Comment

• JDupuis
              JDupuis commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't use the 115v arc welder.
              It won't give the penetration into the metal that you need.

This is just another opinion for what it's worth but what has been said by all those above seems to make sense, why not remove, grind and reweld and grind again. Do all of these areas need rivets or could some be replaced by bolts if this is a driver?
            “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” (Will Rogers).

Comment

• Mickey
              Mickey commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought about the same thing. It is definitely a driver. I'll give the rivets a shot but maybe fall back to bolts as long as the head does not interfere with anything.

Mickey ck out this picture of counter sunk heads and the whole thread in general.
            https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...203#post125203
            4~ Tudor's
            1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,
            "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

FWIW:

A. I first removed all the front cross member rivets easily (23) years ago, by hitting and shearing them off horizontally with a sharp cold chisel and punching them out with a slightly smaller diameter flat head punch.

B. After cutting in vee cuts, I welded mine with my Harbor Freight 120 V MIG wire welder and ground the welds smooth.

C. Because former riveting enlarges the original frame rivet holes, I bored out the existing enlarged rivet holes a little larger and installed slightly larger rivets using Bratton's hand held riveting tools.

D. Re- riveting the front cross member is not at all that difficult ...... I have no idea how Ford accomplished this task ............. however, 100% of repeating this unique Model A trick for re-riveting a Model A front cross member like that of 90 years ago, is in taking one's time, thinking, and being able to design and make a functional metal front cross member rivet back up tool.

E. Appears many don't have the patience to stop and think so they resort to using bolts when replacing a front cross member like the person who restored my 1930 Town Sedan maybe about 45 years ago.

Comment

• H. L. Chauvin
                H. L. Chauvin commented
                Editing a comment
                Just a repeat of my reply #17 in Mitch's illustrated thread in above reply #9. LOL

Originally posted by JDupuis View Post
              Don't use the 115v arc welder.
              Agree
              MIG is the currently preferred technology unless you are pipeline welding in the middle of Alaska.
              Vee out the cracks to get good penetration

Comment

You are probably very lucky that no previous owner tried to repair this. From what we have seen you do so far , it will turn out great. Jim.

Comment

Wire it Mickey, Rivets are better than bolts when done properly, Any old riveters here with good tips I always heated the rivet first put it in heated again and riveted with air hammer make sure you have a good bucking bar as well the rivet shank will expand and fill and tighten up the holes. On that front make sure you can get to all the rivets good, also make sure none of the rivet holes are elongated.

Comment

OK I'll give it a shot.
                    Couple of questions. What size wire? I assume .035 or .040? I have an air hammer for rivets and a selection of rivets but what's best for getting in there to do the V cuts?

Comment

Angle grinder
                      Air grinder/ dremel with the deburring grinder bit.
                      Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

.035 or .040 is way too big unless you have a 400 amp MIG behind it, your penetration will be minimal
                        Use .023, .025, or .030. The wire size for us car guys is not dependent on the thickness of the metal we are welding, it is dependent on the capability of your machine. You can weld 3/8 steel plate with .025 if it has been properly Veed out. It may take an extra pass or two, but you will have good penetration, else the weld just sits on top of the metal.

I'd be using my .023 wire on that, I use it for everything, even structural projects

I have seen some UTubes of welding instructions and some of them were done by pretty terrible 'welders', so be careful there.
                        Welding is one of those things where if it looks good it is good.

PS you should be running 12-15 psi for your gas, more like 25 if in windy conditions
                        Last edited by tbirdtbird; 03-20-2019, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Looks about like mine. Definately repairable. Rod
                          "Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good." Thomas Sowell

Comment

Many high schools and vocational schools offer night classes in welding, I would strongly encourage every vintage car owner to take such a course. There isn't a single day that goes by that we are not welding/repairing/fabbing something in the shop

You will learn some novel uses of the welder. As Mitch can testify, if we need to remove a bearing race (these are normally pressed in for assembly) from a modern car, once the bearing itself has been removed, we run a bead of weld around the inside of the race. Since heating metal actually shrinks it, once the weld has cooled, the race just falls right out of the car. Otherwise, it is a lot of work to remove them. This is just one example.
                            You can fab your own special tools, such as the offset 11/16 socket welded to a 3" extension (1/2" drive) that we made to get at the nut on #8 stud on an A (the one under the dizzy). We have done this in several sizes for several different cars we have worked on. If you use the same fabbed socket on all your studs, then the torque will be the same for all of them

Comment

Thanks tbird that is very helpful. I was thinking heavy metal needed heavy wire. My machine is a Lincoln 140amp.

Comment

Looks like the manual shows your welder drive roller is for .025 gas or .035 inner shield.

Bob

Comment

He can run .023 wire in there, I do

Comment

Yes it will run .023. I ran it from that broken spool until it jammed up.
                                    The spool not the machine.

Comment

Mickey, here is a pic of the 3 grinders welders love the most
                                      1) air die grinder. We run either 1/4 or 3/8 or 1/2" rounded bits. We get them from McMaster Carr, who calls them "burrs". Get the double cut carbides. The single cut non-carbide will be dull in less than a week. The double cut carbides last for years
                                      2) right angle air grinder fitted for 3" Roloc grinding discs. Most popular grits are 50, and 24
                                      3) 4" right angle electric grinder fitted with a flap disc, these flap jobs are the greatest and can really take off some material.
                                      Sorry, for some reason the DeWalt 4" right angle grinder is truncated in the pic, but you get the idea

So, you can Vee-out with these tools or grind welds smooth

grinders for welding.jpg
                                      Last edited by tbirdtbird; 03-20-2019, 11:23 PM.

Comment

OK, here is a better pic, I hope

grinders.jpg

Comment

Thanks tbird for the pictures. I have a couple of air tools but need to get some burrs and sanding disks.

Comment