Tod's engine block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tod's engine block

Haven't seen any info on Tod's A block casting project lately, anyone know what the story is?

I think it was abducted by aliens, near as I can tell.

Comment

It is still in progress. I am working right now on several things as well as new castings. I have cores in the shop that will be used to make a sample 5 main block with the new crankcase cores. I have not been posting much as it seems to always end up causing more people wanting to send deposits and I am not ready to take money as foundries are many months behind. The last batch of Snyder's 5.5 head to come in took over 6 months to get made.

Tod

Comment

Thanks Tod for the update. Weren't you looking into starting your own foundry?
        3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Thanks for the update Tod.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
            Thanks Tod for the update. Weren't you looking into starting your own foundry?
            I was but interested investors seem to have backed away. I had to give up on that idea. Too bad. There is so much casting work available mountains of money are waiting to be made. Now I have to wait for foundries that are even busier than they were.

Tod

Comment

Today I started applying the mold coating to the engine block cores I have in house. I will also be making a couple of B heads very soon. I am waiting on mold locator cores. Water jacket cores are in house and the pattern is ready to go. Thomas heads are being cast, intakes, and headers are being worked on. I have bunches of Winfields to make as well as several iron Thomas heads. Of special concern to me is the OHV head I am just about ready to sample. The pattern is almost ready to have a sample mold made off of it so I can make my first casting.

Tod

Comment

Good for you Tod! Thank you for taking this on!!

Any 59AB Flathead blocks projects coming in the future? I've got one at a machinist's and he said it looks like it's going to be scrap. Motor was raced back in the dirt track days saw some hard use.

A Flathead has to be a nightmare to cast I read of the troubles Ford had trying to get it up and running.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
                  Good for you Tod! Thank you for taking this on!!

Any 59AB Flathead blocks projects coming in the future? I've got one at a machinist's and he said it looks like it's going to be scrap. Motor was raced back in the dirt track days saw some hard use.

A Flathead has to be a nightmare to cast I read of the troubles Ford had trying to get it up and running.
                  The 8BA is mostly idle with all the work I have to do right now. I mess with it occasionally but my time is severely limited right now.

Tod

Comment

That's OK Tod, in 1930-32 when Cast Iron Charlie Sorensen was working with Henry Ford to produce a one piece cast V-8 block they had a real tough time making it work, and they had unlimited resources and tooling and engineers and all working on it. But they eventually got 'er done!

Thanks for what you are doing we all appreciate it!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Terry_Burtz
                      New Model A Engine
                      Terry_Burtz
                      by Terry_Burtz
                      Thanks for the warm welcome to VFF.

Regarding the engine project, details including the last 2 updates when the project was resurrected and other details can be found at: www.modelaengine.com

John (our team member responsible for manufacturing and quality assurance) will be leaving for China on Friday, Sept 6.

John has 30 years of experience having parts...
                      09-04-2019, 10:12 PM
                    • BNCHIEF
                      New model a block
                      BNCHIEF
                      by BNCHIEF
                      Have not heard anything lately know one exists because it is on you tube is this still a go? I know Todd is doing other things as well.
                      09-28-2017, 06:03 AM
                    • PepeLoco
                      Is a short/long block going to be available for the Burtz Engine?
                      PepeLoco
                      by PepeLoco
                      Is a short/long block going to be available for the Burtz Engine?
                      I don't have the shop or time and would love to just buy a short or long block to drop in. I would be paying for convenience, no doubt. I understand Burtz said he really did not plan on selling to the individual and wants to go through the shops instead.
                      07-29-2021, 01:10 PM
                    • BNCHIEF
                      Here is some interesting reading
                      BNCHIEF
                      by BNCHIEF
                      This is about the Terry Burtz 5 main model a engine supposedly it is back on track here is a link to the whole project, anyway I think you will find it interesting.
                      RE-ENGINEERING THE MODEL A ENGINE Terry Burtz, Campbell, CA      (Copyright 2007 T. M. Burtz)  Automotive engine design and analyses has changed dramatically and is vastly improved since the...
                      07-04-2019, 06:59 AM
                    • dmaxweb
                      Cleaning Block for New Head Gasket
                      dmaxweb
                      by dmaxweb
                      I've got all the head bolts off except one of course. I'm in no hurry and sure as heck don't want to snap the stud so just soaking with Kroil for now.

I came across this video on cleaning the top of the block. It's a Ford block but not Model A. Any thoughts on the procedure?

https://youtu.be/Uy5p-cUge5s
                      06-27-2021, 09:07 AM
                    • DaWizard
                      Rowe Block
                      DaWizard
                      Grumpy Senior Member
                      by DaWizard
                      Ok, in the tear down of the current customers engine that I started today I have found some interesting tags. Mainly a tag stating "Original engine out of '30. Rowe Block" or "Roe Block".

It has a nicely counter balanced crank(Bolt on & welded), B cam and since I don't yet have the head off, from the bottom looks like some nice aluminum pistons. Pictures to follow....
                      07-23-2019, 11:17 AM
                    • dmdeaton
                      Engine Block Sleeves
                      dmdeaton
                      by dmdeaton
                      If you need to sleeve a block, are the new sleeves modern steel? How do these wear and hold up compared to the stock cast iron bores?...
                      12-11-2017, 03:09 PM
                    • DaWizard
                      How much can I remove?
                      DaWizard
                      Grumpy Senior Member
                      by DaWizard
                      The engine I got has some serious pitting on the top of the block. I would like to know just how much surface I can remove to get rid of that pitting?

I am thinking most of you will say just find another block or engine, and I might do that depending on what my surfacer says it will cost me. We will see.
                      02-27-2018, 07:48 PM
                    • Jhva
                      Another Diamond Block
                      by Jhva
                      Picked up a Diamond block for 60$. It was outside under a lean to, so it's seen some weather. I got the head off easily. Crank rotates a bit, got a stuck valve or two. Distraction work and in no hurry to do anything but see how things look inside and do some research. Have looked on Fordgarage for serial no. Info etc....
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.
                      04-07-2021, 02:04 PM
                    • 31Roadster
                      Cracked block
                      31Roadster
                      Jr Member
                      by 31Roadster
                      I have a cracked block left side of engine leaking water . May try Blue Devil Block sealer . Any other suggestions other than a new block. I used it last year for a sand hole casting leak in the valve adjusting chamber worked out good so far over 2000 miles on that repair .
                      08-27-2017, 12:29 PM
                    Working...
                    X