Model A vacuum leak detector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model A vacuum leak detector

Well actually not just Model A's but this works on any car. As you probe closer to the vacuum leak the led's increase plus it makes a whistle. I bought this many moons ago and have used it many times to detect an intake manifold or vacuum system leak

D9290945-2531-45CB-9B4F-EFF9C94BDC85L0001.jpg757527D5-0BBD-4F70-81E1-A91D3A474E83L0001.jpg
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Neat tool.
    I have always used an unlit propane torch. If the rpm increases you have a leak.
    Alaskan A's
    Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
    Model A Ford Club of America
    Model A Restorers Club
    Antique Automobile Club of America
    Mullins Owners Club

Comment

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      Well i learned something today.

I'm POOR, I use a $2.99 stethoscope, with just an OPEN hose. Screams like a BANSHEE!
    Bill Destitute

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
      Well actually not just Model A's but this works on any car. As you probe closer to the vacuum leak the led's increase plus it makes a whistle. I bought this many moons ago and have used it many times to detect an intake manifold or vacuum system leak

D9290945-2531-45CB-9B4F-EFF9C94BDC85L0001.jpg757527D5-0BBD-4F70-81E1-A91D3A474E83L0001.jpg
      I am curious. Is the Vacu-Tector better or more accurate that using propane?

Even if it isn't, it has a cool name.

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        First i remove the needle tip shown then locate the general location of the leak.
        With the tip installed it pinpoints the spot.

I know smoke all my motors for leaks that's the best way

• BNCHIEF
        BNCHIEF commented
        Editing a comment
        Mitch i know what you are talking about but not how a little tutorial please from a professional.

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        regarding? which device

• BNCHIEF
        BNCHIEF commented
        Editing a comment
        how do you smoke a motor your tool i understand but an explanation would also be nice such as your procedure.

Something we all seem to forget about when looking for a vac leak is the hose (tubing) that runs from the firewall up to the wiper motor.??
      Paul in CT

Comment

• BNCHIEF
        BNCHIEF commented
        Editing a comment
        I always would block something like that for starters but that could also be a source as well.

Usually on an A motor i just unscrew the vacuum line on the intake manifold and connect the hose to that fitting. Cap off the air horn on the carb and turn it on. Any leaks will be visible within seconds including the throttle shaft. It will also show exhaust leaks as the smoke travels through any open exhaust valves and out the tail pipe

I also have an adapter to smoke it right into the air horn and leave the vacuum line on
      OR
      I can use the cone adapter and smoke it right from the end of the tail pipe and it will travel right up and out the carb One of the best tools i have
      We mostly use it in the shop for EVAP leaks, but it comes in handy for finding those impossible to see vacuum leaks on modern junk

The smoke also has UV tracer in it where i can look with a black light on real stubborn things
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• BNCHIEF
        BNCHIEF commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Mitch there is a new one on me always learning here.

We recently had a 2000 Exploder that had a tiny exhaust leak tick. I smoked it up through the tail and we found the leak in the EGR tube that connects to the exhaust manifold.
      A huge time saver
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

A Stethescope, with just an open hose can help LOCALIZE sounds that transmit through EVERYTHING! Hold it slightly away from stuff & keep moving around. Using the probe, listen to various units, to see what their "normal" sounds are. VELLY INTELESTING!
        A distributor sounds like a HAY BALER! Generators make EIRIE sounds!
        Dad Fiddler

Comment

• BNCHIEF
          BNCHIEF commented
          Editing a comment
          Plus you did not have all those fancy tools like your son has.

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          You need good hearing to use a stethoscope

"They" say, if you're OLD & hear good, pee & poop good, you're a BLESSED MAN!
        Dad Blessed

Comment

• BNCHIEF
          BNCHIEF commented
          Editing a comment
          The simple pleasures of life Bill?

You folks can buy one of those stage foggers to just smoke for vacuum leaks ( they are cheap).. Mine is special because we use it for evap systems and low pressure applications.
        3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Here YA go make your own from a paint can

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVAP-Smoke-M...38.m2548.l4275

3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

The British car folks say that smoke is contained in the wiring, and if you let the smoke out, you have a big problem!
            Bill
            http://www.brauchauto.com/
            Eastern Connecticut

Comment