Hard to Push Starter Switch was an Easy Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard to Push Starter Switch was an Easy Fix

I know a lot of Model A's now use the starter mounted fuse, and this past Saturday I fixed a starter switch that you almost had to use both feet to get it to make contact. The fuse holder bracket was mounted UNDER the lip on the starter switch, so I moved it to the top side. Now it pushes very easy, as it should. Mounting the fuse under the lip will also make the switch set slanted to the copper button, and I could see where it only touched on the outside edge of the button.

So, if anyone has mounted the fuse under the switch, you should move it to the top of the switch lip.

I am just wondering what lack of common sense led the owner of that to install it under the switch? Also, why wouldn't the need for extra pressure send a signal to that same owner that maybe the last modification suddenly was the cause of this added pressure?

There are times like these where all you can do is sigh and shake your head.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      He should have shimmed the opposite side up to make it even.. problem solved. Lol

Related Topics

Collapse

• Beauford
    Starter Switch
    by Beauford
    Need help fast as I have a car show tomorrow. Last night I painted my new to me starter as mine fried yesterday. I installed this morning and I think I know why my other fried. The switch sticks (new repop) so I have cut the juice off to the RPU. What should I do????
    04-26-2019, 06:22 AM
  • MontanaRed
    Starter Button
    by MontanaRed
    I am under the impression that model t's had starter buttons on the floor board however mine seems to be a small button to the left of the steering wheel, is this something that came standard in the later years or was this an aftermarket part? Hey and my Lights work!
    10-05-2018, 02:53 PM
  • popsjohn
    Fuse Block Installation Problem
    by popsjohn
    Following the advise in Les Andrews Vol II I purchased a fuse block from Brattons and installed it following the instructions. When I turned on the disconnect switch sparks started flying. Checked all the connections but still sparks flying. Must be grounded somewhere but can't see it. The only difference in my installation is that the disconnect switch is mounted to the steering column next to...
    04-12-2020, 06:58 PM
  • Soapy
    Starter Failure?
    by Soapy
    A week or so ago, I was checking for compression on my engine which hadn't been run for many years. I was concerned that the valves which were open while sitting might have stuck. I had already squirted a load of penetrant in all cylinders and the plugs were out. Sure enough, two valves were stuck open. I had been using the starter to turn it over, and it spun it up really well. After freeing up the...
    12-07-2019, 12:18 PM
  • JohnB15632
    Starter Switch Issues
    by JohnB15632
    Yesterday, my A started and well and ran well. Today, I tried to start the A and nothing just a soft moan. I checked the battery, 12.69 vdc. I checked throughout the A and great voltage.
    So, no turnover meant starter problems. I first removed the starter switch and fount that the bar in the switch itself had welded itself to the starter post.

What is wrong?
    What have I done...
    05-28-2020, 10:23 AM
  • slammin
    Starter draw
    by slammin
    I installed one of those buss 30 amp fuse blocks on my starter. The insulation was bad on wires from the ammeter to the junction box so I replaced those as well as adding the missing dash light. Today the weather was great so I decided to take a short drive around the neighborhood. I hooked up the battery and as soon as I hit the starter button, the fuse blew! I pulled out the multimeter and wiring...
    11-10-2017, 05:39 PM
  • canadian
    Starter won't stop
    by canadian
    so I have had several events that starter won't stop and stays engaged until ya get out and smack da bi$ch. happened last month a few times and I removed Vintique switch, and installed original . happened again unannounced and drilled rubber out of firewall grommet a little larger and smeared some lube on push rod. also have new T grommet Tingy the inserts in rod and pushs against copper strip. any...
    07-09-2019, 01:02 PM
  • Calistri
    ford model A starter pushrod
    by Calistri
    Has anyone replaced the ford model A starter push rod with button - the peddle is stuck. So why would I replace the rod, when I could replace the rod with a switch? Has anyone tried this?...
    10-23-2017, 04:47 PM
  • Captndan
    Remote starter
    by Captndan
    Considering the manual starter switch what would be the best way to connect a remote switch usuing a solenoid?
    08-01-2018, 07:26 AM
  • Bobm90
    Auxiliary Start Button Installation
    by Bobm90
    Replacing the floor mounted starter rod with a
    dash mounted starter push button

Whatever reason you want to alter your stock vehicle is your own, mine was out of necessity . I had to do a lot of trial and error to accomplish it the correct way and couldn't find any easy to follow instructions on the matter so I decided to write up...
    04-25-2018, 03:13 PM
Working...
X