Head gasket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head gasket question

My short block out of my 29 Tudor is out in Skokie, Il. for a rebuild. I bought the 5.5:1 high comp. head from Snyder's along with the B-6051-C Graphite gasket. My Grandson is a tool & die maker and he has the Snyder's head checking for flatness. I though I read somewhere that there is a right way and a wrong way to install the head gasket. Something about "dimples" being installed up or down. Can anyone shed any light on this, or doesn't it matter? Thanks, Smitty

You might want to think about going with the BEST brand copper gasket. [email protected] AER was using the graphite and i thought i remembered that he stopped using those due to leak issues. Maybe a phone call to him directly would be best especially since he is rebuilding your motor.
    Let us know what he says
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Mich,
      I just got off the phone with Ryan (Manager at AER). He said just the opposite of what you thought. They got away from the copper gaskets because of leaking issues and are going with the graphite gaskets. I gave him Snyder's part# of B-6051-C and he said that's the one I want. He said the correct installation of that gasket is to have the stamping "Best Gasket 573" facing up. Thanks

Comment

• Big hammer
        Big hammer commented
        Editing a comment
        Did he/they mention greasing both sides of the gasket, lightly. Torquing to 55# the first time, then 60# there after

Originally posted by smittykid View Post
      Mich,
      I just got off the phone with Ryan (Manager at AER). He said just the opposite of what you thought. They got away from the copper gaskets because of leaking issues and are going with the graphite gaskets. I gave him Snyder's part# of B-6051-C and he said that's the one I want. He said the correct installation of that gasket is to have the stamping "Best Gasket 573" facing up. Thanks
      Smit
      Well actually they were using those silicone composite style head gaskets a few years ago and were having leak issues, so that is what i was talking about( i forgot to add silicone). I know that because my engine came with one from there. Well now you know what to do so run with it...

I have used both the best brand copper and composite with no issues FYI
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Yep, those silicone composite style head gaskets were a disaster. we still have better luck with the copper here, tho. Whatever

Comment

Ten (10) years ago I installed a Bratton's No. 8080 head gasket, (listed as a "Modern Head Gasket"), on my Town Sedan, fitted with a B marked Model A high compression head with 0.125" oversize pistons and cylinders. Torqued it as always at 55 ft. lbs. with new nuts and new, non-extra strong cylinder studs; allowed engine to run until achieving operating temperature, and in trying re-torquing nuts after immediate shut down, they remained at 55 ft. lbs. Like during the past 60 years, I never tried re-torquing again. This Bratton's Modern Gasket never leaked in the past ten (10) years.

I never researched if different Model A parts suppliers offer the same exact head gaskets as that of Bratton's No. 8080, listed as a "Modern Head Gasket", advertised as soaked with silicone, with .005 bead of high temperature silicone; however, according to his listing and in discussing same with Mr. Bratton, he said it was a much improved seal over his copper gaskets.

His catalog mentioned to not add gasket sealer; and Mr. Bratton said I did not "need" to add gasket sealer; however, like for the past 60 years with no head gasket problems with B marked Model A high compression heads with NAPA Model A copper and non-copper gaskets., I coated the block, head and both sides of this Modern gasket with non-hardening "Permatex No. 2."

This same head gasket subject is on the other Forum emphasizing how "Dead flat" is of primary importance ......with warnings galore, two (2) pack a day tobacco smokers will never listen to health advice either ....

Comment