Discarding an original part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discarding an original part

I am of the belief that one should never discard an original part. But here I am with an Autolite manifold that has sagged in the rear to a point where the exhaust port is exposed about 1/8". I have a line on a good replacement, but do I discard the bad one? Or hope that somehow, somewhere, it could be rejuvenated?

Ya know, that is a good question. Personally, I would hold on to the original until I have another original or at the very least, a serviceable repop. I have never heard of anyone straightening a severely bent original, way too many variables.

I'm not saying it is impossible, but there are a lot of originals out there.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Ray, I send unfixable parts in the scrap iron pile. Over time if I didn't I would have been out of room years ago. Still have alot of parts to sort through and scrap the broken and badly damaged parts. I do have some of the heater manifolds that are cracked. They may make good wall deco for the shop. Rod
      Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Ray some things you just gotta let go of.
        Dump it

I had a good size pile from "Rusty" ....with two frames, two motors and well....two of everything I was lucky if one of the two were good!!

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
        BILL WILLIAMSON commented
        Editing a comment
        Refusing to scrap out a useless part, is a VIRTUE, only up to a point! FINALLY scrapping it, is the beginning of WISDOM!!
        Anonymous

I put a new manifold set on today. They're beautiful! The old set goes into the scrap pile.

Comment

• Beauford
        Beauford commented
        Editing a comment
        I did the same a month ago...my original was god awful looking!

The problem is that you NEVER get rid of the PILE----
      Bill Nopile

Comment

• Ray Horton
        Ray Horton commented
        Editing a comment
        Right Bill. At my age, piles are a problem!

Related Topics

Collapse

• Steve Plucker
      So you have an all original car...OK...
      by Steve Plucker
      09-04-2017, 10:22 AM
    • BILL WILLIAMSON
      Originality
      by BILL WILLIAMSON
      I'm NOT the best at it, but I "think" even casual Model A owners strive to keep their cars "reasonably" ORIGINAL.
      I once got BANNED, somewhere?? else, for makin' FUN about Cotter Keys & HOW to bend them PROPERLY--LOL
      Rascal Bill W.
      07-20-2017, 11:47 AM
    • BILL WILLIAMSON
      AMAZED!
      by BILL WILLIAMSON
      In dealing with your overall Model A experience, what one particular thing has AMAZED you MOST?
      Bill W.
      07-21-2017, 02:32 PM
    • Tom Wesenberg
      Original Finish on 1929 Floorboards
      by Tom Wesenberg
      I have never seen original floorboards with just a wood preservative, unless Ford had some that looks like gloss black paint. I have a pretty nice set of original dovetailed Maple floorboards from an early 1929 Tudor, and they have a lot of the original black paint on them. They also have a run or two, so it looks to me like they got a heavy spray of gloss black or were dipped into the paint and hung...
      01-11-2018, 10:17 PM
    • Art Ebeling
      Shade tassles
      by Art Ebeling
      Does anyone have the original shade tassles for an early 31 they can post a picture of? I am interested in the color and the color of the twisted cord they hang from.
      03-22-2018, 07:41 PM
    • Tom Wesenberg
      New Gasket Material for Warped Manifolds
      by Tom Wesenberg
      I saw this being discussed on another car site today. It comes precut for many engines, or you can cut your own.

"They are called "Remflex", and they are 1/8" thick, but when torqued down, compress to half that thickness."

Anyone else heard of this stuff, or used it?...
      01-25-2018, 03:41 PM
    • jordanka16
      Stocking up
      by jordanka16
      So, I intend for my car to last at least as long as me, to that end I have been thinking about extra parts to keep on hand. I know from reading that certain NOS parts are much better than any new ones, points for example. Are there any other NOS parts that it would be worth searching ebay for just to have on hand, parts that the repros do a poor job of replicating?
      10-22-2018, 08:24 PM
    • dmdeaton
      Reproduction Parts
      by dmdeaton
      Was going to put this in technical, but pertains to both sections. Who is making all the repro parts offered on the market today? How much of this is US made and how much is from overseas?...
      09-25-2017, 07:16 AM
    • EarlyBert
      Water or excessive moisture in exhaust port
      by EarlyBert
      I have recently purchased my first Model A. I am replacing the manifold gaskets. I noticed excessive moisture in the 3rd exhaust port from the front. What could be the significance of this?...
      11-06-2017, 06:52 PM
    • Great Lakes Greg
      A good car for fine point restoration
      by Great Lakes Greg
      Greetings, My first post here having migrated over from ******** for something new and to get away from "what kind of oil should I use".
      I have just purchased a rust free Special Coupe that was last registered in 1961. It is a time capsule with about 90% of it's original parts intact. If not for an ugly blue repaint, I would register it in original class in Dearborn next year. I did...
      10-14-2018, 06:24 PM
    Working...
    X