• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaking transmission oil from shift tower

hello
    I'm leaking oil from shifter how do I fix this
    thank you
    kevin

It doesn't look like it's leaking enough to worry about, but I am surprised to see any leaking out the top by the ball pivot.

Mine shows a slight bit of oil leaking by the 1/8" vent hole.

Comment

Make sure the vent hole that Tom mentioned is open and not blocked with dirt, debris or paint, use a paperclip or such to check that.
      I have also seen certain trans fluid cocktail brews foam to much.
      if you had the trans top off and filled the fluid that way, there is the possibility that it could be overfull if the fill plug was not removed to obtain the proper level... just another thought
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I think I see your problem, its that shifter knob, its is so cool ! Tom & Mitch are right for your concerns :-)

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
          BILL WILLIAMSON commented
          Editing a comment
          I read of one Guy that filled it ALMOST to the top, when he had the shift tower OFF!!
          Bill W.

You may have a backyard 'snake oil' mix in there, brewed with non-compatable additives. That would account for foaming. If you mix an EP gear oil with detergent engine oil you will get a foam that puts Starbucks baristas to shame. Time to drain, flush, replace.

Although it is not necessary to remove the top for a quick flush, some people like to do so just to inspect. As Bill mentioned, DO NOT overfill and DO NOT run the engine with the tranny top off!

Comment

thanks for the replies I am using lucas oil stabiazer how full should it be I fill it to top of the fill hole just before it starts to come out. thank you big hammer for the comment on the shifter
          kevin
          1930 model a tudor
          1923 model t roaster p/u

Comment

Originally posted by kwisor View Post
            thanks for the replies I am using lucas oil stabiazer . . .
            Lucas stabilizer is known to cause volume expansion by air entrainment and foaming. There are several YouTube videos that show this.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeK View Post

Lucas stabilizer is known to cause volume expansion by air entrainment and foaming. There are several YouTube videos that show this.
              This sounds like his "PROBLEM"---
              Bill W.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• GARY FRANK
                50 F1 3 spd light duty trans with remote shift
                by GARY FRANK
                I seem to be getting leakage from the air vent on the top of the trans case. I have 90 wt Valvoline gear oil and you can only fill it to where it will leak out of the fill plug, so I don't think it's too full. The manual says capacitiy is 2.75 pts of gear oil. I didn't try to measure it but I figured filling it to where it's just about ready to run out would be suffice. Can you plug off or reduce...
                01-11-2019, 02:53 PM
              • Tom Wesenberg
                Tranny Leak at Shift Lever Pivot
                by Tom Wesenberg
                This is the first time I've seen a leak such as this.
                A club member is using gear oil from Bratton's, and I don't know if it has a foaming problem, or why the gear oil reached the shift lever pivot and leaked out.
                The color doesn't look normal either, but I don't know what color Bratton's gear oil is.
                I suggested he clean it, make sure the vent hole is open, then try another gear...
                07-29-2017, 07:49 AM
              • paul griesse
                Transmission oil leak
                by paul griesse
                Hi---new to this forum.....I`ve got a persistant oil leak from my trans on my `31 coupe. Its not overfilled, tower on and sealed securely. Seems to be leaking and blowing back thru the vented bell hosing cover. Has something like this been addressed previously? Many Thanks, Paul
                06-12-2017, 09:03 AM
              • Mitch
                Transmission vent
                by Mitch
                It’s not only external crud, but thick build up inside a shift tower can block the vent hole. This one had no external dirt but the hole was completely blocked solid. Foaming trans fluid can cause all kinds of extra leaks along with shifting and lubrication issues....
                12-03-2018, 01:13 PM
              • JtownJoe
                F-150 OD Drip
                by JtownJoe
                I installed an 87 F-150 Tranny a few years ago and I have developed an annoying drip at the tranny to bellhousing joint. I was considering trying out either a Lucas type gear oil stop leak or one of the Penrite Products that I've heard work so well on the steering box leaks. Anyone have any experience with either products or thoughts on their use on modern std trannys? I'm not sure what to think of...
                05-22-2017, 07:22 PM
              • Beauford
                Tracer Dye
                by Beauford
                So I was putting a new gasket on valve cover and upon opening cover I notice the oil is kinda a baby poop yellow-orange? I freak and drain the oil. It doesn't look right to me at all being I just start my project a couple times a week and tinker. I had used trace dye for my small rear leak. I'm wondering if this caused the coloration? I am a fanatic about opening rad and seeing fluid at same level...
                04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
              • Mule Driver
                STP in model a transmission
                by Mule Driver
                Has anyone ever used STP lubricant in a model a transmission to deter leakage and would not Lucas oil treatment be about the same thickness?
                03-26-2019, 09:00 PM
              • Tudor31
                Transmission oil leak
                by Tudor31
                Maybe I shouldn't make any fuss about it, but after replacing the oil pan gaskets and getting rid of the oil leak from the pan, the few drops of oil from the transmission is annoying. The tower has been rebuilt and has a new gasket, the drain and fill plus are nice and tight, but there is still a couple of drops a day (dripping from the drain plug, but coming from somewhere else). The oil is 50/50...
                04-08-2019, 06:07 PM
              • bosticjb
                Trans Leak
                by bosticjb
                I had my 29 Model A on the rack today and while changing the oil I noticed a leak between the back of the trans and the speedometer box,, any suggestions and how hard is it to drop the drive shaft tube ?...
                10-12-2018, 05:04 PM
              • Bikerider58
                Suck it out or let it drip - - oil change
                by Bikerider58
                Sludge in the bottom of the pan is common due to non-detergent oil. If 10 years of non-detergent and 10+ modern detergent oil and engine build; then it seems like the sludge would be cleaned out. I still had a good layer of about 3/8 inch.

I did not check when the pan was off, but suspect a good amount of oil is in the pan below the drain hole. With the engine tilt it seems like there...
                03-23-2019, 12:58 AM
              Working...
              X