Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing check, no test light required

This is from Larry Brumfield,

Here’s a good and easy and accurate way to check to make sure you have your engine correctly timed. No test light required.

Remove #1 spark plug and position it so you can see the plug spark by laying it on its side to touch a head nut for ground. Attach a wire from the distributor body to the plug to conduct the spark to the plug.

Remove the other 3 spark plugs so the crank will be easier to turn. Remove the timing pin from the front cover and insert it back in the hole using the round end. Push the spark lever all the way up to the fully retarded position. Put the trans in neutral. Turn on the ignition. Take a hand crank and begin turning the engine over to allow the #1 piston to rise on the compression stroke. When nearing the top of the stroke, apply pressure with your fingers on the timing pin so you can feel it when the pin moves into the little dimple on the timing gear. In other words, you will be doing as one does when setting the timing.

The very instant you feel the timing pin slide into the dimple, you should see a spark at the spark plug!

Related Topics

Collapse

• Tom Wesenberg
    Spark Timing, Set It and Forget It, Timing info, Timing lights 101
    by Tom Wesenberg
    Spark Timing, Set It and Forget It,

There are at least a couple ways to set the timing. You first must set the point gap, and I always set mine to .020" with the points setting on the highest part of the cam lobe. This remains the same whether you use the "A" cam or "B" cam. After the points gap is set, you can then push the spark lever all the way up,...
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    05-16-2017, 02:34 PM
  • Manager
    A couple of questions on spark timing.
    by Manager
    I'm going to set the timing as per Tom's post . It has got to the stage my car won't run sweet unless the advance /retard is in the last 3 clicks all the way retarded.(down) I'm thinking the timing needs reseting? I checked the working of the lever and it is working correctly as in all the way up just on one side of the slot all the way down just on the other side. Am I on the right track or is it...
    06-02-2017, 01:18 AM
  • Tom Wesenberg
    Spark Timing, Set It and Forget It
    by Tom Wesenberg
    There are at least a couple ways to set the timing. You first must set the point gap, and I always set mine to .020" with the points setting on the highest part of the cam lobe. This remains the same whether you use the "A" cam or "B" cam. After the points gap is set, you can then push the spark lever all the way up, which is where it should always be when starting the engine....
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    05-16-2017, 02:34 PM
  • DaWizard
    Having timing problems
    by DaWizard
    I need to pick the brains of those here..

Let's say I had a B block with B timing cover with an A cam.

Would setting the timing with the pin in the B hole into an A cam timing gear make the timing ahead so far that after setting the timing advancing the spark handle make the engine too far advanced as to make the engine stutter and fall on it's face?
    05-27-2018, 10:19 AM
  • William_Smith
    1937 V8, will not start
    by William_Smith
    I am getting spark at the plugs and my carb seems to be functioning alright, I just installed the my distributor last night after realizing I had a bad rotor which fixed my no spark issue, Could I have the timing off by a revolution? Also it is not not even kicking when turning it over which is telling me timing is way off.
    04-09-2019, 01:01 PM
  • Mitch
    Timing lights 101
    by Mitch
    I received a PM regarding the use of those Timing indicators that bolt onto the front cover. Are they needed? NO...

Find TDC with the timing pin...
    Put a dot on the crank pulley and a dot on the front cover so that it is even with the dot on the crank pulley. The location of the dots on the pulley does not matter, just as long as they are directly across from each other.
    Use...
    09-07-2017, 08:18 PM
  • tbirdtbird
    Timing, does it matter?
    by tbirdtbird
    Not long ago Wild Bill Williamson gave us a brainteaser regarding turns of the crank with a multi-cylinder motor. Engine timing is a brainteaser to many.

Let's start a thread and have opinions given about various timing issues.
    For example,
    1. Does it really matter anyway? Just what is it? Is it more than a pin shoved in a hole?
    2. is there such a thing as too advanced...
    04-02-2018, 04:06 PM
  • Farmputzer
    Spark plug continuity
    by Farmputzer
    If I continuity check from the screw cap to the electrode on a 3X spark plug, should there be any resistance, or at most very low resistance?
    10-29-2018, 07:21 AM
  • jbterlaje
    Timing Gear Knock
    by jbterlaje
    Hello VFF,
    New here so I wanted to reach out get get an opinion. I have a '29 Speedster and there seems to be a knock in or around the timing gear. Upon cold start, the knock is not there but once the engine warms up, the knock becomes louder and much more distinguished. Seems to go away once the engine RPM increases and comes right back at idle. I did some digging and found that with the...
    02-15-2019, 10:31 PM
  • MANYHERRAMIENTAS
    Spark plug 3x champion
    by MANYHERRAMIENTAS
    Hi friends
    I bought the 3x champion spark plugs and I need a tool to adjust them, what would it be? Spark plug hexagon is 1- 1/8 inches
    Thank you
    06-10-2018, 07:20 PM
Working...
X