Cooling and block treatment Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling and block treatment Question

Mitch I looked at your link for thermocare my engine had been rebuilt and tanked but i am sue it is not like new if one uses the thermocare i assume you drain the anti-freeze add this product and distilled water and drive the car .
    How long and then you drain and flush it out and put back in the 50/50 antifreeze mix.
    What about water wetter
    What can you add that will keep rust from reforming(anti-freeze should take care of that.
    Would a gano filter be a good idea for a driver.
    Would like to know your thoughts on this since you run a shop.

Chief

Here are the instructions right off the site link along with a video! I used this stuff a couple times and it seemed to work good. The other route i would take is to use the standard evapo-rust
    3 gall and let the car sit for a week. With either method you need to flush everything through with water before doing the treatment. As far as re rusting i am a proponent of using antifreeze especially since living in a climate that freezes, so flushing out the product when your done and refilling with your favorite brand should help prevent that issue. If your running any kind of filter or thermostat in the upper hose i would remove it before treating. You can also get some after treatment flushing tips in the Tech Forum that Tom W posted or for a not so bad system i usually run a pipe off the upper hose over the front of the car and start the motor to flush.

1. drain and flush out coolant

Drain coolant and add one quart of THERMOCURE.
    2. Fill & Drive

Fill radiator to the top with water. Drive the vehicle for 3-4 hours up to several days to remove extensive rust. You may drive the car normally during this period. Once the engine has cooled completely, drain the cooling system.
    3. Flush & Refill

Flush the cooling system twice with water. Refill the cooling system with high quality coolant mixed to the manufacturer's specification with water.
    Do not use THERMOCURE in freezing temperature. THERMOCURE does not protect your engine from freezing.

http://www.evapo-rust.com/thermocure-how-to-videos/

3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Ok just wanted to be clear on this since this is a new brassworks radiator and a leakless pump thought this way i would insure block is clean always run anti-freeze and distilled water 50//50 we get as cold here as you guys do.

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        The only thing that gives me a concern is breaking loose any pieces of crap in the block and having that get caught in your new radiator. Probably in your case i would go the 3 gallon route and let the car sit. then drain it out and flush as i mentioned with a pipe over the front of the car. this way anything that comes loose not dissolved will go out via the flush pipe and not lodge into the radiator. take a rag or equivalent and stuff it into the opening in the radiator where you took the hose off from. keep a strong flow of water going into the radiator and start the motor...or use Toms pump method with the upper hose off as mentioned

I "wonder" if using STRONG cleaners "might" be tough on the Leakless Water Pump seals????---"Maybe" just pop on an OLD pump, first????
      Dad Wondering??? (Worry Wort!)
      Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 08-21-2017, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Bill that is a question I will ask those folks.

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          Personally i like using safe effective non acidic products. Your responses may vary

• BNCHIEF
          BNCHIEF commented
          Editing a comment
          Is thermocure an acid product? Also will look at tom's method

I looked at toms method for flushing the block that will work pretty well i think great idea as usual.

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          Toms method after using the Evapo soak is prob the WTG.

Non-Toxic | Non-Flammable | Non-Corrosive | Biodegradable |

Been out mowing and thinking about this Tom's idea will work great i will make couple of plates to use with tom's set-up I can flush the block using my sprinkler pump after which I will flush again using distilled water altho I can use soft water out of my house hot or cold either way. Add a gano filter and refill with 50/50 anti-freeze. This will also let me by pass the radiator.
        Last edited by BNCHIEF; 08-21-2017, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• saxman657
          Radiator Cleaning and Back Flush
          by saxman657
          I recently did a chemical flush (Blue Devil chemical) of my radiator - drained and flushed, then added 50/50 Sierra antifreeze. This past year I used distilled water with water wetter. When I did the chem flush a lot of rusty water came out but no rust chunks. Continued flushing with water until it came out clean, then added the 50/50 antifreeze. Yesterday, not an overly warm day for SoCal, the...
          02-28-2020, 03:01 PM
        • Tom Wesenberg
          Back Flushing the Cooling System
          by Tom Wesenberg
          To do a good cleaning of the Model A cooling system, you need a good strong flow of water to dislodge the junk in the rear of the block, and to remove the junk laying on top of the radiator tubes. Even after running vinegar for 30 days in my Model A, I wanted to give it a good back flush, so I removed the radiator and turned it upside down then back flushed it with a sump pump. I used a large radius...
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 3 photos.
          05-24-2017, 04:10 PM
          Antifreeze winter driving
          by Guest
          Greetings,
          I have heard a great many conflicting opinions on the use of antifreeze in the Model A. What is all 'yall's opinion on what kind of antifreeze to use for cold weather driving?
          01-22-2019, 10:05 PM
        • pjdeb3082B
          Cooling System Flush
          by pjdeb3082B
          Certainly not a new topic, but many of the old posts don't answer the first timer's questions on flush/backflush:
          1. Do you run straight white vinegar....all three gallons?
          2. How long do you run it for? I have heard hours, days, weeks....
          Flush/backflush
          3. When you neutralize, how much baking soda do you use for the three gallons of water?
          4. How long do you run that...
          12-11-2019, 01:02 PM
        • saxman657
          Radiator Flush w/ Vinegar
          by saxman657
          I've posted about this before, but am at a new stage before pulling the radiator so wanted to start with a fresh new post.

First background: I started the TLC of my father-in-law's Model A last year. First time out after changing out filters in bowl and filling up a dry gas tank I spewed a huge amount of rusty water. Got her home and shoved a hose down the radiator and flushed a lot of...
          07-04-2020, 03:21 PM
        • rheacox
          Foamy Coolant
          by rheacox
          I've been reading through past posts on this problem but haven't found a situation quite like mine. My car doesn't use any water (level does sit a little low, right at the tubes when cold), and temps are pretty good to my eye. The road to my house is a 1000ft climb over 4 miles, usually do it at 45mph. Temp measures 170-175 right after pulling into the driveway with a thermometer in the neck of the...
          05-24-2019, 01:36 PM
        • Snagglewhen
          Removing Rust in My Cooling System
          by Snagglewhen
          Coming back from the last tour that I was on I was having issues getting my roadster to run at speed for any period without overheating. I just soaked my cooling system in Evapo-Rust for several days to remove rust buildup and it worked as advertised. Then water came out of the system completely black and the car runs much cooler now. The water at the top of the radiator was at 190 before the Evapo-Rust...
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 3 photos.
          04-06-2018, 09:17 AM
        • tbirdtbird
          Cooling System Information
          by tbirdtbird
          One method to clean a water jacket

The pix are self explanatory. Be very careful working with lye, keep it off your skin and eyes. I bolt the adapter I made to the inlet with a copper gasket. I carefully fill the water jacket to about an inch from the top with a strong lye solution. The lye gives off lots of heat when mixed, use cold water and mix it up little by little. Let it...
          07-11-2017, 11:33 AM
        • tbirdtbird
          One method to clean a water jacket
          by tbirdtbird
          The pix are self explanatory. Be very careful working with lye, keep it off your skin and eyes. I bolt the adapter I made to the inlet with a copper gasket. I carefully fill the water jacket to about an inch from the top with a strong lye solution. The lye gives off lots of heat when mixed, use cold water and mix it up little by little. Let it sit in the block for a week. The head is off, obviously....
          07-11-2017, 11:33 AM
        • Rob Patterson
          Bitsa cooling system capacity?
          by Rob Patterson
          Its bitsa this and bitsa that.......
          '25 block, Waukesha Ricardo head and a 1915 Brassworks radiator.
          Any ideas on coolant capacity would be very much appreciated.
          I'm trying to work out dilution percentages.
          Thanks & Cheers,
          Rob
          03-20-2019, 08:37 PM
        Working...
        X