Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

List of Engine Rebuilders...please add to the list if you are pleased with your motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of Engine Rebuilders...please add to the list if you are pleased with your motor

Anyone up for a list of reliable rebuilders? We need members to post shops they were pleased with. If you were dissatisfied, that is another list for another time.
    The real test of a build is not that it can do an ice cream run on a Sunday, but that it can get on the road and do a tour and hold up!
    -Berts https://modelastore.com/
    - Dave Gerold in MN http://www.durableperformance.net/about.html
    - Rich Fallucca, Antique Engine Rebuilding (AER) in Skokie http://antiqueenginerebuilding.com/
    Last edited by tbirdtbird; 05-04-2017, 12:28 PM.

I have had several engines rebuilt by SCHWALMS BABBIT BEARINGS.
    Mike
    Michael
    1928 speedster
    1929 closed cab p/u
    1930 standard roadster
    1931 deluxe tudor sedan
    1967 ss/rs conv.camaro

Comment

I build my own but send out things like line boring and boring the cylinders that I don't have the equipment to do myself. Besides, none of the businesses likely to be listed here would be any use to me in Australia nor ours any use to you!

Comment

Doug Anderson, Automotive Machine Service, Albuquerque, NM cleaned my block, pulled old studs, installed one helicoil & new hardened valve seats. I finished the engine. She has run great for 2000 miles now. I would use him again.

Comment

He also re-sleaved and bored back to stock all four cylinders.

Comment

Ron Kelley at RK Designs www.modelaperformance.com
            Alaskan A's
            Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
            Model A Ford Club of America
            Model A Restorers Club
            Antique Automobile Club of America
            Mullins Owners Club

Comment

James Rogers (Dreamwerks) did a excellent job on my motor!! http://www.model-a-ford-4bangers.com/

Comment

I have also used Ora's services at SCHWALMS BABBIT BEARINGS. Very good workmanship and very nice to deal with.

Comment

I am quite satisfied with my rebuild by Ora at Schwalms. J and M Machine in Mass. seems to have pleased a lot of customers seeking new babbit also. My next babbit rebuild will be done by either Schwalms or J and M Machine.

Comment

I have an engine from James Rogers in my 29 CCPU, and an engine from Antique Engine Rebuilding in my 31 S/W Town Sedan. Both perform very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Saniewski View Post
                      I have an engine from James Rogers in my 29 CCPU, and an engine from Antique Engine Rebuilding in my 31 S/W Town Sedan. Both perform very well.
                      Ed
                      I take it the AER motor is inserts?
                      I buy from AER also because I prefer the inserts..
                      lots of great reports about the James Rodgers Babbitt motors..... http://www.model-a-ford-4bangers.com/
                      3 ~ Tudor's
                      Henry Ford said
                      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I wanted to try each to see if there was any difference in performance. Time will tell. I had some club members that were not pleased with the job done at Schwalms.

Comment

I don't think Rich at AER is doing babbitt any more.....

Comment

Charles Myland,did a fantastic job he is a member of the Floral city model a club in Monroe mi , best guy in Michigan!!!

Comment

I love my engine builder he is truly amazing

Comment

Babbitt motors by Herm Kohnke for 52 years in Clare, Iowa.

http://www.kohnkerebabbittingservice.com/our-story.html

Last edited by benson; 05-10-2017, 07:24 PM.

Comment

• BNCHIEF
                                  BNCHIEF commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Herm has done both of my t motors years ago and fantastic job.

Ron Kelly down in Texas. I have a lot of miles on it already and it's perfect.

Comment

I am very happy with my engine rebuild by Ora Landis at Schwalms Babbited Bearings.

Comment

https://modelamedic.com/ Eric Weninger Wichita Kansas great job great machinist as well also has online parts sales.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• tbirdtbird
                                      Engine rebuilding
                                      by tbirdtbird
                                      Many Model A owners will need their engine overhauled at some point. There are great many questions that come up when this occurs. We strongly encourage owners to do careful research, as there seems to be a lot of shops that claim they know engine building, but few that really do. Questions such as, babbitt or inserts, ring gaps, piston-to-cyl wall clearance, piston choices, camshaft choices, proper...
                                      04-30-2017, 06:39 PM
                                    • pAAt
                                      Line boring an engine
                                      by pAAt
                                      I'm thinking about line boring an engine and oversizing the piston bore. I need help in figuring out what is needed before I get started. Good donor engine checked for being capable of handling the build, insert bearings, balanced crank, oversized pistons, connecting rods, and rings. Should I have a Stipe cam and adjustable lifters on hand. 6.o head and the oil pump needs to be capable of maintaining...
                                      05-17-2018, 08:00 AM
                                    • Terry_Burtz
                                      New Model A Engine
                                      by Terry_Burtz
                                      Thanks for the warm welcome to VFF.

Regarding the engine project, details including the last 2 updates when the project was resurrected and other details can be found at: www.modelaengine.com

John (our team member responsible for manufacturing and quality assurance) will be leaving for China on Friday, Sept 6.

John has 30 years of experience having parts...
                                      09-04-2019, 09:12 PM
                                    • BNCHIEF
                                      Here is some interesting reading
                                      by BNCHIEF
                                      This is about the Terry Burtz 5 main model a engine supposedly it is back on track here is a link to the whole project, anyway I think you will find it interesting.
                                      RE-ENGINEERING THE MODEL A ENGINE Terry Burtz, Campbell, CA      (Copyright 2007 T. M. Burtz)  Automotive engine design and analyses has changed dramatically and is vastly improved since the...
                                      07-04-2019, 05:59 AM
                                    • Mickey
                                      Would like a little guidance on engine overhaul
                                      by Mickey
                                      I'm looking to take my coupe's engine up to Schwalm's for an overhaul. They have two base prices for a short block and long block overhaul. After that there are a number of extra add-on items that can more than double the price of the base overhaul. I looking to get a good solid engine that's going to last and can do a little local cruising. No high performance or long distance touring. I'm posting...
                                      02-08-2019, 10:47 AM
                                    • hudson32700
                                      Members list
                                      by hudson32700
                                      Is there a list in VFF that shows how many members there are from each state and country?
                                      07-09-2020, 05:19 PM
                                    • Greynomad
                                      B engine crankshaft and insert bearings
                                      by Greynomad
                                      I am reaching out to members in the US because it is a very different market over there with stuff available that would be very difficult or impossible to find here. First, some background:
                                      One of my cars has a B engine fitted which runs beautifully. It is my favourite and I think the counterweighted crankshaft is a large part of that. The bearings have inserts. I do not see inserts listed for...
                                      05-30-2020, 09:53 PM
                                    • Ray Horton
                                      I need serious experienced help with an engine problem
                                      by Ray Horton
                                      This engine, with only 4000 miles on it since rebuild, has always overheated and locked up when shut down after overheating, which is usually when driven at 45 or less for 30 minutes or more. (This did not and does not happen when driven under 35 and/or just around town for less than 45 minutes). I thought I had this problem fixed. But apparently not.

Here is the history: On 3/16/14 I...
                                      07-01-2017, 12:12 AM
                                    • carolinamudwalker
                                      Engine rebuild
                                      by carolinamudwalker
                                      When I first got my car I took it to a local rebuilder to have the engine looked over. He took out some shims and buttoned things up. Several tours later I started to hear some engine noise and noticed about 3/16 of shiny crank shaft at the front of the engine. I dropped the pan and found all the connecting rod caps had tiny loose cotter pins. some were broken and in the oil pan.They served no...
                                      11-09-2017, 02:16 PM
                                    • George Miller
                                      Rebuilding a model A engine
                                      by George Miller
                                      I do not want to get into bashing people. So I,m going to say the model A engine is one of the hardiest to get right when rebuilding them. You could do 2 chev small blocks or Ford small block to 1 model A engine, that is if you do it right. Every one always says how simple they are. But they are not simple to get right....
                                      01-22-2018, 02:25 PM
                                    Working...
                                    X