Starter seems to be hanging up ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter seems to be hanging up ?

i have installed this starter on my car about four years ago last Saturday I went out for a drive she ran started an ran fantastic .Before returning home I decided to fill up with gas,when I started the starter started the car and then made a weird grinding noise I sounded to me like the starter spring did not fully return and was hanging up .When I got home I look at the starter rod was moving freely and it is so I tried to restart it and all seem ok. Was on my way to the dream cruise this evening and the same thing happened the car started but made a grinding sound .i feel the spring is not fully returning is this common can I clean and reluburcate the drive gear or is the spring going bad I do not want to try and start it again until I address the problem what would you do in my situation thanks for the help Joe have a great night

Joe, there should be little to NO lubricant on the starter bendix. If it is hanging up, it could be time to change out the spring, or bendix all together. I installed a "modern style" on mine and have had no problems at all.

It might be beneficial to learn the little quirks about starting your engine and learn how to hand crank start it. Mine is such a joy to hand crank start I do it just to prove to everyone how easy it is, even when it is cold!!

But just to be clear, you can clean it and lightly lube it with something like hobby or 3in1 oil.

One other thought, if you remove the starter, either find someone with a magnetic base and dial indicator or buy one, HF has the bases and dial indicators, and check the flywheel for runout and or the starter ring. If the starter ring has come loose or started to, while you have the starter out you can beat it back on and place a few dimples with a punch around the mating surfaces to hold the ring on.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Thanks I will do it today I don't want to mess up the teeth on the fly wheel

Comment

She fixed thanks so much Dawizard great help I really appreciate it

Comment

Great news and thanks for keeping us updated.
          You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Rubbing wheel bearing grease in the flywheel teeth helps some engagement & locking up problems. It sounds DUMB, but it sure helps.
            I learned this working on Jaguars, up to '64, they had a very similar starter drive.
            Bill Slick
            Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 08-21-2017, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• sideline
              Starter
              by sideline
              I may have missed it but I searched the archives and didn’t find the answer to my question. My car is a1929 still 6 volt with no plans to switch to 12 volt.

My starter is sticking and doesn’t seem to be disengaging from the flywheel. I’ve rocked the car back and forth and got it to pop loose a few times. I’m thinking it’s time to replace the starter drive. Also, when I swapped...
              09-27-2019, 10:08 AM
            • DUProf
              Starter Motor and Bendix
              by DUProf
              I have a heavily-used largely ‘29. Still a 6 volt system. One of the changes that occurred over years of use was change to a push-button start on the dash. Attaches through a solenoid on the firewall. Recently the starter motor stuck ‘on’ during a brief 2 block drive; only discovered as I turned off the engine. Fiddling with the switch caused the starter motor to stop running. On attempted restart...
              07-09-2019, 09:25 AM
            • Jamey E
              Starter issues
              by Jamey E
              So, what would cause a starter to not do anything after the car being ran for a while? This is on a 30’ roadster. Car started fine this morning, car was drove for an hour or so, & now the starter won’t do anything. Any ideas?
              05-02-2020, 05:12 PM
            • ckain16
              Need starter help.
              by ckain16
              1931 with model B engine. starter has locked up in the flywheel. I cannot get it to release. Moved the vehicle forward and backward, wheels just slide. removed starter bolts, no help ? Any advice ?? thanks. [email protected]...
              09-05-2017, 05:34 PM
            • Pklarkin
              Starter Hang Up?
              by Pklarkin
              Hi all,

The new site looks great! Asking for your help with a sticky issue I've been wrestling with.

My restoration was coming along well until I tried to crank the new engine for the first time today. I've upgraded to a 12v system and put in the modern Bendix drive on the existing starter. When I try to crank the engine, I get a click and then nothing. The starter seems...
              09-05-2017, 07:17 AM
            • Beauford
              Starter stranded me...
              by Beauford
              Went to feed store and recently had problems with the starter doing nothing. I thought maybe the switch was bad so put a new one on with the little cardboard doohickie under it and installed fuse. Ran and started good today twice. Leaving the feed store I step on starter and nothing. Waited a moment and tried again, nothing. Open hood and starter was smoking. Texted mitch as it was not 3am and he...
              04-25-2019, 03:21 PM
            • dmdeaton
              12 Volt Starter
              by dmdeaton
              What's everyone doing for a starter with 12 V? I see Snyder's sells a reduced gear new starter that is a little pricey. Have to install a electric switch to pull in the solenoid....
              11-20-2017, 06:29 PM
            • JohnB15632
              Starter issues
              by JohnB15632
              My starter used to work. No it doesn't.
              Yesterday I put on a new positive power cable. Now have power to the starter post. Put on new starter switch. Depressed the starter switch and got nothing.
              I took the starter off. I have 12 vdc + at the end of the jumper wires. I connected the negative to the case of the starter. When I touched the positive red lead to the post, I got large sparks....
              08-14-2019, 08:51 AM
            • Bobm90
              Auxiliary Start Button Installation
              by Bobm90
              Replacing the floor mounted starter rod with a
              dash mounted starter push button

Whatever reason you want to alter your stock vehicle is your own, mine was out of necessity . I had to do a lot of trial and error to accomplish it the correct way and couldn't find any easy to follow instructions on the matter so I decided to write up...
              04-25-2018, 03:13 PM
            • Bill G
              Time to go fishing
              by Bill G
              Not in the recreational sense,

What luck, Today my wife and I went driving around town and stopped to pick something up from a store. We got back out and the starter just spun freely. I was pretty sure it was the Bendix. We got someone to give us enough of a shove to start the car and got home. I pulled the starter only to find that one of the spring bolts had sheared off the Bendix....
              06-21-2020, 10:06 PM
            Working...
            X