Points cleaning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Points cleaning.

I was perusing through my book of Service Bulletins again today and stumbled across something rather interesting.

Henry suggested that when the points seemed to be dirty or corroded or in some way in need of a cleaning, that a whetstone be used to burnish the pads. Well, I was thinking to myself, since most of the folk I know that own a Model A might not even know what a whetstone is, let alone OWN one thin enough to enable them to clean the points, why can't we use something a bit more inline with the times.

So, while I was visiting my local drug dispensary, I happened across the section on hygiene *shudders* and noticed a rather interesting object. A steel nail file with some nice fine abrasive on both sides and thought, what a wonderful idea for a point file.

Since we all visit the drug dispensary monthly to pick up our supply of life enhancing chemicals, what harm could there be in walking down the nail polish isle and gathering up a Revlon red handle nail file? You MUST walk to the rear of the store for those chemicals, so take a bold trip down the polish isle and snag a file for each "A" tool kit, and one for the garage tool box.

Who knows, they might even be able to be used when you snag that nail on some part of the car and rip that nail back to that nasty scraggly broken finger nail that bugs ya because it isn't even with the rest of those claws. Pffft, who'da thunk.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Tool trucks used to sell FLEX STRIPS that work good.
    I found "flex strips" used to clean PINBALL machine contacts, they work fairly good.
    Bill Boingboing

Comment

That's a great idea Mr. Wizzard, If you have anymore ingenious tips i would like to hear about them. I'm on my way to CVS now:p

Comment

That great but not really embarrassing! Try walking into a store looking to buy a nursing bra lol not for me my wife! At least it was embarrassing for me Red Faced BH

Comment

• DaWizard
          DaWizard commented
          Editing a comment
          As long as it didn't fit ya, I see no problem !!

• BILL WILLIAMSON
          BILL WILLIAMSON commented
          Editing a comment
          It was HARD, NOT to say something to a YOUNG Gal, who spent 5 minutes @ the CONDOM Rack ! !
          Bill Bleedingtongue

A. For the very soft metal on ignition contact points, Amazon.com offers professional Ignition Points Files for $4.31 with free shipping.

B. Many Model A owners use sand paper, bastard files, and fingernail emery boards where they are constantly ruining points and are constantly buying new ignition points, plus adding sand grit to wear out distributor bushings.

C. Ignition points should last at least 100,000 miles if ignition points are allowed to close and be cleaned with a professional Ignition Points File.

D. Then when at the back drugstore counter, after skipping the Revlon File, you can have a Model A distributor Tune-Up excuse to buy your K-Y jelly for lubricating your distributor cam and lubricating your radiator hose connections.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Great Lakes Greg
          A good car for fine point restoration
          by Great Lakes Greg
          Greetings, My first post here having migrated over from ******** for something new and to get away from "what kind of oil should I use".
          I have just purchased a rust free Special Coupe that was last registered in 1961. It is a time capsule with about 90% of it's original parts intact. If not for an ugly blue repaint, I would register it in original class in Dearborn next year. I did...
          10-14-2018, 06:24 PM
        • ClaudeC
          1933, 1942 distributor points.
          by ClaudeC
          Can existing points be cleaned and used again in a rebuilt distributor or are new points needed to provide the proper springiness to work properly. Should I purchase brand new from Bob Drake or NOS antique parts?
          02-09-2018, 02:37 PM
        • Captndan
          Did a search but came up empty. Where to get good points? Need them now not in a week.
          11-02-2018, 07:04 AM
        • ronnaab
          Judging Standards
          by ronnaab
          Just starting to review my Judging Sheets from Fine Point Judging @ Branson. Can't say that I am to impressed with the knowledge of the judges.
          Standards show deduct 2 points for white walls, my score sheet deducted 20 points. Tools had several points deducted for wrong tire pump, wrong jack handle etc. Same tools were judged 2 different times with a different car (same year) and received full...
          09-26-2018, 11:46 PM
        • Jim Mason
          free 5 points
          by Jim Mason
          There is one area you can hang on to 5 points with no work at all. which area is it?
          06-22-2018, 10:54 AM
        • Mitch
          Known Dangerous Parts for Judging
          by Mitch
          This question stems from the other thread about reusing an original wiring harness for competition. Gary Karr brought up the point that I had mentioned about an old original harness being a fire hazard. Are fine point cars forced to use original parts for judging, even though they can be a life threatening item? Two items that come to mind at this moment are the fan blade and the wiring harnesses....
          01-01-2018, 07:01 PM
        • Mitch
          Homemade Tools
          by Mitch
          Post your homemade tools to this thread.
          06-15-2017, 07:50 PM
        • Mitch
          Model A special tools
          by Mitch
          We need to have a VFF free tool loaner program. The user pays shipping
          Folks can post the tools they have and locations

But what happens when it comes back in 2 pieces? Yikes
          01-04-2018, 05:54 PM
        • DaWizard
          First Aid kit
          by DaWizard
          Since I don't know where to put this, here it goes and I'll let the PTB fit it where it should be.

How many of you carry a Fire Extinguisher?

How many carry a First Aid Kit?

How many of you know how to use either?

In the basic First Aid Kit you have the normal bandages and ointments and such, but how many have super glue?

Now you are
          09-03-2017, 05:48 PM
        • H. L. Chauvin
          Write something ......
          by H. L. Chauvin
          FWIW: "If" we think about it:

There are instructors and instructors ...... there are teachers and teachers ....... some less effective snob teachers want students to say nothing and just listen to Mr. or Mrs. "Know-it-all" ....... others who are more compassionately concerned , ask students for comments ....... usually the student who is brave enough to ask a question,...
          04-13-2018, 10:17 AM
        Working...
        X