Ford's USA Assembly Plants...Then and Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford's USA Assembly Plants...Then and Now

Have you ever wondered just what the assembly plant looked like for which your Model A/AA Ford was assembled and what it is today?

Well now you can...on my website is a article called "Ford's USA Assembly Plants...Then and Now" is up and running.

Here is the link http://www.plucks329s.org/pdf/assypl...atTheyRNow.pdf

Check it out.

If you have an airal view of a plant that has been torn down and would like to include it in on this document, please submit it to me at [email protected]

Thanks.

Pluck
    Steve Plucker

Banished  Badge Holder

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 01-13-2019, 06:07 AM.

Thanks Steve, That is the first picture of the Atlanta plant I have seen. My Victoria was built there. Art

Comment

Thanks for your hard work gathering the info and photos. Makes me happy to see so many of these complexes still in use today serving various enterprises. I return to my hometown Dayton, Ohio and most of the plants vacated by various GM divisions in the last few decades are big empty lots full of weeds.

Comment

Nice work on compiling photo's and information on these Ford Plants Steve. They're still bickering, on what to do with the prime land, in the Twin Cities.
        Model A's and of course the famous AA's

Comment

Good job Pluck, excellent material

Regarding the Phila plant at 257 N Broad st. You surmised that it was probably torn down. I’m in that area a lot so if you need me to check anything out just ask.
          3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Mitch...That would be nice...go for it.

Thanks.

Pluck

Comment

Than you for posting; great photos and amazed at how many landmark (Albert Kahn designed) buildings are still standing. Many are masonry and fortunately not in active earthquake country. The Richmond plant as many know is home to the Rosie the Riveter WW2 museum with some original Ford Factory photos displayed.

Comment

If you notice from the dates of those assembly plants...It appears that Ford started to assemble the "one" story assembly plants about 1924 or so thus doing away with the multi-story assembly plants that Albert Kahn designed....now those are beautiful buildings. It is really sad that the San Francisco plant was destroyed in the 1989 earthquake!

Pluck

Comment

The Phila plant at 257 N Broad st, is now the 676 center city thruway. Still standing is the Packard Motor Car building @317 N Broad st which is now apartments.
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 2 photos.
                  3 ~ Tudor's
                  Henry Ford said
                  "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

The Seattle plant: a half mile west on Mercer street(a block south of the plant) is The MarQueen Hotel. Originally built to train mechanics for Ford. They were the respected high tech people of the time. It look pretty much the same today.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Here are a couple I took of the Portland, OR building last year. I went through the building as there are many shops. There is a massive basement in the building too. I wonder what activities went on in the basements? I suppose with the freight elevators, they probably had inventory and probably the original heating plant for the building.
                      This gallery has 3 photos.
                      Bill G
                      Model A Lover!
                      Last edited by Bill G; 01-14-2019, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Steve Plucker
                        Mexico City Ford Assembly Plant
                        Steve Plucker

Banished  Badge Holder

by Steve Plucker
                        Does anyone have a photo of the Mexico City Assembly Plant (Before 1928) that assembled the Model T Ford?

Would any photos of assembly plants be in the Model T era books of Ford Industries?

If so, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks.

Pluck
                        11-18-2017, 12:43 AM
                      • Steve Plucker
                        Four-story assembly plants
                        Steve Plucker

Banished  Badge Holder

by Steve Plucker
                        Does anyone know of any publication that describes the workings of a four-story Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant?

Thanks.

Pluck...
                        12-05-2017, 03:26 AM
                      • hudson32700
                        Assembly plant number
                        hudson32700
                        by hudson32700
                        I located a stamping at the cross member where the drivers left heel would be on my 1931 Tudor standard, (it has an indented firewall). There are no letters, just a number 11336. What would that represent?
                        03-25-2020, 01:18 PM
                      • Steve Plucker
                        Two Ford assembly plants...
                        Steve Plucker

Banished  Badge Holder

by Steve Plucker
                        If you had your pick of just two Ford assembly plants between Kansas City and/or San Francisco...which one would it be? Both, neither, or one over the other?

Hmmmmmmmm?

Pluck
                        02-02-2020, 12:30 PM
                      • Steve Plucker
                        Model T assembly plant codes...
                        Steve Plucker

Banished  Badge Holder

by Steve Plucker
                        Has anyone ever noticed on the Model T BODY floor cross sill (front) any type of letter and numbers representing assembly plant codes?

For instance SFA 0927 for San Francisco Assembly plant or AS 12345 for Seattle Assembly plant.

These codes are on a majority of Model A's...was wondering about the Model T's.

Thanks. Pluck
                        10-08-2017, 09:58 AM
                      • Steve Plucker
                        Assembly Plant and Dealership Bill of Sales...
                        Steve Plucker

Banished  Badge Holder

by Steve Plucker
                        It has been awhile since I got some Assembly Plant and/or Dealership Bill of Sale records to incorporate into my data bases.

Does anyone have any to add to the data bases?

The neat thing about these records is that if enough are collected and put into the correct assembly plant data, one can come perty close in finding out just when a particular car came off the assembly...
                        04-05-2020, 08:04 PM
                      • reggie
                        Atlanta Ford Plant
                        reggie
                        Jr Member
                        by reggie
                        Does anyone know the Day, Month and Year that the Atlanta Plant Opened and Closed and as to what they all made there other then Cars and Trucks like some Plants Painted small part's and some made Rear Fenders or Both of the Fenders, And some Plants put Motors together and what I want to know is what did the Atlanta plant all make at that Plant and when that was all started and ended and what it was...
                        06-17-2018, 08:55 AM
                      • Steve Plucker
                        Model T assembly plant codes on body...
                        Steve Plucker

Banished  Badge Holder

by Steve Plucker
                        Has anyone ever noticed on the Model T BODY floor cross sill (front) any type of letter and numbers representing assembly plant codes?

For instance SFA 0927 for San Francisco Assembly plant or AS 12345 for Seattle Assembly plant.

These codes are on a majority of Model A's...was wondering about the Model T's.

Thanks. Pluck
                        10-08-2017, 09:57 AM
                      • Jamey E
                        Model A assembly plant in Parkersburg WV
                        Jamey E
                        by Jamey E
                        Has anybody ever heard that there was a assembly plant in WV? My dad told me that the now, Warner Kia, is where they used to mate the bodies with the chassis. The rolling chassis would come in on railcar & they would finish assembly at the Warner building. He also said he actually found a leftover stash of parts many many years ago there when he helped with some remodeling when it was a Pontiac...
                        10-31-2019, 04:39 PM
                      • Soapy
                        Assembly Plant Number
                        Soapy
                        by Soapy
                        I just found the assembly plant code for my early 1931 Tudor. It was under a thick coat of paint and the letters and numbers were larger than I had expected. There is also another X which I wasn't expecting. I wonder if it is related to the x on the frame number. The code is: AX STL 14511

Was the St. Louis assembly plant that assembled Model A cars, the same one that originally built...
                        This gallery has 1 photos.
                        10-23-2019, 01:22 PM
                      Working...
                      X