Front fender question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front fender question

Which year/model front fenders are interchangeable for a late '31 coupe.

Late 30 and all of 31. All models
    Bill
    http://www.brauchauto.com/
    Eastern Connecticut

Comment

Late 30- 31 used the one piece splash apron and round speedometer. Early 30 used the two piece splash apron and oval speedometer. There was an overlap period on production lines and left over stock,. Pictured is the two piece (early)splash apron which uses welting in between the joint. Two piece can be put on a 31 car for the record but it won't be period correct and visa versa
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

How about pickups, tudors, furdors?

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          See Bills post above

• Mickey
          Mickey commented
          Editing a comment
          OK thanks Bill and Mitch that really helps. My coupe has a left front that had a spare tire well that was closed up. After doing some straightening the bondo has cracked and chipped so I may just replace it.
          Last edited by Mickey; 01-01-2019, 12:58 PM.

Mickey, with the exception of a few minor mounting holes, the fenders from all 4 years are interchangeable. As mentioned above, the aprons are he real difference. Now remember, the only ones that are year correct are the design of the '28-'29 and the '30-'31. You can use any of the years to replace fenders, and if you change out both, unless someone looking knows the specific differences between them, no one will know.

But to keep it year correct, the '30-'31 fenders will not be noticed if you only change one.
        You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Originally posted by DaWizard View Post
          Mickey, with the exception of a few minor mounting holes, the fenders from all 4 years are interchangeable. As mentioned above, the aprons are he real difference. Now remember, the only ones that are year correct are the design of the '28-'29 and the '30-'31. You can use any of the years to replace fenders, and if you change out both, unless someone looking knows the specific differences between them, no one will know.

But to keep it year correct, the '30-'31 fenders will not be noticed if you only change one.
          If you try to install an early 30 fender on a late 30 or 31 car, you will need to also change the splash apron and running board.
          Bill
          Eastern Connecticut

Comment

I wonder if anyone has or had a 30/31 with the differences on either side.

I know of a few 28/s with a different front fender on each side.

Comment

• DaWizard
              DaWizard commented
              Editing a comment
              Keith, I would be interested to see pictures of those '28s with different fenders as mine has different fenders.

Have no pics Wiz, but I am sure my survivor that went to Hoogah had one of each.

And when the discussion came up, a few others chimed in.

Funny thing is, there are prob heaps of them around, because unless it is shown out to you, the average guy (and owner) never noticed.

Ya can't see both sides of the car at once,

But once you know the difference, it stands out like dog's balls.

Comment

• DaWizard
              DaWizard commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually, I can see both sides at once and just sitting in my chair looking at the front of the car I noticed the difference until I stood up and noticed more differences.

I know there are very early ones with eyebrows and such, but I am talking about the hump part where the fender is near the spash apron.

Comment

HA HA Wiz, I hope i have not done to you what I did to a guy some years back.

A young guy, he had a pride and joy rice burner, after he said the painter put on 8 litres of paint, I casually said, hmmm, it is a bit thin here and there, I can see primer under.

He never noticed it until then.

Saw him some time later, and he told me he got the car repainted, as after I picked it out, every time he went near the car, the paint drove him crazy.

Comment

Wiz can you post clear pictures showing the differences on Wheezer
                3 ~ Tudor's
                Henry Ford said
                "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• DaWizard
                  DaWizard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sure.......stand by.

Since I am unable to place arrows in the prints, you will just have to go by my typing description to understand. Something tells me I have already posted this...

So, looking at the front of the car you can plainly see that the swoop of the fronts are different, the radius of both fenders is different. After measuring the depth and cut of the fender I know they are different.

Now, on the slope down of the seam, they are again, plainly different as the lower ending of the seams are different, about about 4inches!

I do hope you can see the differences clearly.

This gallery has 9 photos.
                You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

On your 7th pic, the hump that goes around the bend from where the horizontal part under the hood shelf ends can be very different on 28 fenders. image_18799.jpg

Comment

Here's my June '28 bodied phaeton with two different front fenders. This is the car that Pooch refers to in this thread. I've put a photo of each side together in the one picture so show the differences in the "hump", as Pooch describes it in Post #13. (It's hard to find the words to describe these variations!).
                    My car has largely original paint but the condition of the paint on the RHS front fender is much better than that on the LHS, so I am assuming that this fender is probably a later replacement following an altercation with something hard!
                    MudguardComparison.pngMudguardLHS.JPGMudguardRHS.JPG

Comment

• DaWizard
                      DaWizard commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Both of my fenders look like your left fender with the somewhat flatter area.

• Mitch
                      Mitch commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That side by side picture really shows the differences. Are we thinking that it just could be an old repop?

20190101_180841.jpg

From the standards
                    http://jmodela.coffeecup.com

Comment

Thanks for those photos, Jim. The "eyebrow" change is difficult to see without something like this. Flicking back and forward from photo to photo while trying to retain the details of an image in my head actually does my head in!

I wonder why these changes were made?

Comment

Eye brow was in 30
                        20190101_184740.jpg
                        http://jmodela.coffeecup.com

Comment

• Hoogah
                          Hoogah commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Oh, I see what you mean by eyebrow. I was thinking it was just about the PROFILE of the leading edge. As I said, descriptions are difficult!

Here is a good photo of the early 30 eyebrow fender.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.
                        Bill
                        Eastern Connecticut

Comment

• DaWizard
                          DaWizard commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Oh Bill, you just HAD to slip that one in!

• Mitch
                          Mitch commented
                          Editing a comment

• Hoogah
                          Hoogah commented
                          Editing a comment
                          If anyone says "What fender?", I'm going home!

• Mitch
                          Mitch commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Maybe Jim will add this picture to his repertoire of official data

• 2manycars
                          2manycars commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I have a lot more of that car, but the girl has lost her clothes, and the headlights are on for safety!!

• Afordman31
                          Afordman31 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Is there a Model A in the picture?

• CarlG
                          CarlG commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Where can we get the rest of the pictures ?

Boy! Now I am confused.

Comment