Power Supply Outlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Supply Outlet

Here is a nice power supply outlet for those times you need more than one item powered at the same time. I finally got my first cell phone a couple weeks ago, so I could have used this on my trip to South Bend.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Socket-...19.m1438.l2649

Have you ordered it yet? Affordable price that's for sure. I have a 12v neg ground alternator in my Tudor and I installed a socket for charging about a month ago. Problem is all of my chargers go on and off when they are plugged in and the engine is running. I guess my alternator is messing with things somehow.

Comment

It gets shipped out of Malaysia
      estimated delivery 6/3 -6/23...
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
        It gets shipped out of Malaysia
        estimated delivery 6/3 -6/23...
        Yes, it is a long wait, and that's what I don't like about shipping from the far east. It can also be purchased from California for $5.99.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis View Post
          Problem is all of my chargers go on and off when they are plugged in and the engine is running. I guess my alternator is messing with things somehow.

Thats what mine does but I have a 6volt gen. When the cars off it charges perfect. I posted about it in another thread.

Comment

This is the one I have in my pickup. Essentially the same as the one Tom pictured. Bought this one on Amazon. (Actually have them in both of my "modern" cars as well.)
            Alaskan A's
            Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
            Model A Ford Club of America
            Model A Restorers Club
            Antique Automobile Club of America
            Mullins Owners Club

Comment

Originally posted by Barber31 View Post

Thats what mine does but I have a 6volt gen. When the cars off it charges perfect. I posted about it in another thread.
              Barber31 I soldered a 6 amp diode inline and the problem is solved. You might try that on yours, just make sure the diode is rated high enough amp at least twice the load.

Comment

Barber31 I soldered a 6 amp diode inline and the problem is solved. You might try that on yours, just make sure the diode is rated high enough amp at least twice the load.
                Do you have a picture and where you purchased this diode? I'd definitely like to try that. Also, I'm assuming this was placed on the power supply line, correct? After the power converter or before?

Comment

Originally posted by Barber31 View Post

Do you have a picture and where you purchased this diode? I'd definitely like to try that. Also, I'm assuming this was placed on the power supply line, correct? After the power converter or before?
                  Radio Shack was a good place for a single diode, but we recently lost Radio Shack and a very good electronics surplus store in the Twin Cities.
                  Ebay is a good source, but you may have to buy several at a time.

Comment

Yep, like Tom said ebay is a good source but you have to buy several. To me it was still less expensive than having to drive across town to Radio Shack and I seriously doubt they would stock diodes this big. Keep in mind a diode will reduce the voltage .7 volt. In your case they may or may not work with your 6 volt system. ?? Here's a link to the party I ordered mine from. Place between the source and your converter. A diode is more or less a check valve, allows voltage to flow in one direction only.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/132114125153...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                    Last edited by Dennis; 05-26-2017, 11:55 PM.

Comment

I purchased a diode as recommended. The guy at the store told me there's 3 type of diodes so after explaining what I was trying to do he recommended a rectifier diode. I bought both the rectifier and the diode thpe that was on the link provided. Unfortunately neither worked for me. Well I couldn't actually get a good connection on the rectifier. I'm gonna try again.

Comment

Barber, keep in mind a diode lets current flow only in one direction. You might have to turn it around.

Comment

I bought a single power outlet from a Radio Shack store that is closing ($5) and wired the power wire to the passenger side terminal of the terminal box and the ground wire to an existing bolt in the firewall. I have a master battery cutoff switch installed so the outlet is not "hot" when the car is parked. The "cigarette lighter" power plug I use has two USB ports in it and the electronics to provide the correct voltage/amps to my smartphone for use as a GPS and to keep the smartphone charged on road trips. (My 1931 Model A Town Sedan has a 6v alternator.) The power outlet body is plastic (no inadvertent grounding risk) and I attached it underneath the dash with automotive grade Velcro for easy removal. Just returned from driving the Model A on a 1,000 mile road trip to NY state and it works great!

Comment

Country Squire brought up a good point about idle current for the outlet. I just tested the outlet I listed above, and the idle current is 6 mA, so even though nothing is plugged into it, the red LED power indicator light and circuit draw 6 thousandths of an amp. This is a very small amount, but when I park my car, I don't want any drain, so I will unplug it from my plain lighter socket, which I will mount to the steering column.

BTW, my dad bought a new 1954 Country Squire, and hated it so much that within a couple days he went back to the dealer and bought back his 1950 Studebaker he traded in. He kept the Ford for another 6 years, then traded it in on a 1960 Valiant station wagon.

Comment

Barber, keep in mind a diode lets current flow only in one direction. You might have to turn it around.
                              Dennis, i originally wired it up and no current passed thru. So I flipped it and it's the same situation. Constant on/off charging of my phone.

Comment

• Big hammer
                                Big hammer commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I had a phone charging cord go bad! The phone would show charging then not, just a thought!