Radiator hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator hose

I need to replace the upper radiator hose,on my 31. I know I have to remove the hood. But do I have to tilt the radiator back or can I sneak the hose in without tilting.As long I lube the inside of the hose. Also witch is the best hose clamp I can use? I forgot to mention it's not a point car. It's my daily driver
    thanks.
    Last edited by Johnnymo; 08-14-2017, 03:00 PM.

Just loosen the rad bolts so it can tilt back a little. But some powder or lube on outside to help to get it on.

Comment

You shouldn't need to move anything
      Warm up the hose, hot water or in the sun. Slide it down the outlet, bend it a little start it on the radiator, slide it up.
      Lub with soapy water, daily driver you could use worm gear modern clamps.

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        i do it like Big hammer mentioned,, a little silicone spray aids in it sliding...

I use these, they are so positive, never had a leak.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...waApTcEALw_wcB

You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the originals and never had a leak

• CarlG
        CarlG commented
        Editing a comment
        Same kind I use. Got mine at a marine hardware store.

YEP, Mitch, they don't leak if you rub the inside of the clamp & the outside of the hose with K-Y JELLY;)
      KY KDad

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        I will remember that good advice

Just wanna say thanks to all
      I layed the hose in the sun for about an hour. Lubed the Inside of the hose with KY. and it slid right on no problem. I didn't even have to remove the hood.
      I'm one happy camper ;)

Comment

WTG Johnny, knew ya could handle it!!
        You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• wrndln
          Radiator hose installation
          by wrndln
          I searched for an older post that describes if or what sealer/lub should be used when installing the radiator hoses and couldn't find anything. It would seem that a little grease on the inside of the ends of the hoses would help insert the hose onto the pipe, gooseneck and radiator and help keep the hoses from leaking. If anyone has a better way or if grease is a good sealer to use, please post...
          12-02-2019, 12:22 PM
        • Steve Plucker
          ORIGINAL Radiator Hose Clip Assemblies
          by Steve Plucker
          Can anyone tell me what the correct length of the bolts are that are on the A-8261 Radiator Inlet Hose Clip Assembly and the A-8287 Radiator Outlet Hose Clip Assembly are?

Thank you.

Steve Plucker
          03-12-2019, 08:27 PM
        • lhend50
          restriction in Radiator hose
          by lhend50
          Hi, I am a new member, just picked up a beautiful 1936 Ford Cabriolet. Car was restored 25 years ago but still looks great. Lower radiator hoses were leaking so I bought a new set of hoses to install. The top hoses that were on the car looked like a universal type hose with a 3" stainless steel band about 1/3 of the way down the hose. When I removed them, I looked inside and saw what looks like...
          10-30-2019, 08:11 AM
        • saxman657
          Radiator Flush w/ Vinegar
          by saxman657
          I've posted about this before, but am at a new stage before pulling the radiator so wanted to start with a fresh new post.

First background: I started the TLC of my father-in-law's Model A last year. First time out after changing out filters in bowl and filling up a dry gas tank I spewed a huge amount of rusty water. Got her home and shoved a hose down the radiator and flushed a lot of...
          07-04-2020, 02:21 PM
        • JohnB15632
          Radiator straighening
          by JohnB15632
          I figured that there was something wrong with the radiator installation that prevented the hood from aligning correctly.

Well, I backed my A out into the sunlight and wow, my radiator is catiumbus.

So, how do I straighten the radiator?

Thanks,
          06-25-2020, 10:27 AM
        • Roadster Rich
          Check for Purchase
          by Roadster Rich
          Along the lines of Mitch's post, I don't know the answer to this, but so many of us have had problems with cooling and the blocked radiators, I wonder if there could be some good calibrated check of the rate of flow through a radiator. For instance, keep pouring water into the radiator so that it is full (flowing out the overflow tube and top of the radiator won't matter) and then disconnect the...
          08-13-2017, 08:03 AM
        • dmdeaton
          Hose Rack
          by dmdeaton
          Ok, I notice goofy things. While looking for my first car the past month I have seen 3 garden hose reels made from Model A spoke rims. Some rusty patina, others painted and nice. How many others on here have one? I am on the search now for a couple rims to make them. One each for the front and back of the house....
          08-27-2017, 11:53 AM
        • getgood
          Thermostat in Top Radiator Hose & Fan removal question
          by getgood
          Got my radiator off this morning and saw that there is a thermostat in the top radiator hose. This is my first time working on this system of the car - replacing the water pump that is leaking.

Should the thermostat be canted the way it is (about 1/4" gap at the top and canted forward towards the radiator)? Seems like water would just go around. Have not pulled the upper hose yet...
          04-26-2020, 05:57 PM
        • pAAt
          AA radiator
          by pAAt
          Flushed and cleaned radiator with water/dawn mixture. Radiator was filled with mouse nest stuff. No rust came out and seemed to flow good after that was removed. Cleaned exterior as good as I could and will soak entire radiator, in Rust911 as soon as I find a container to put it in. Lower hose tube needs repair and shroud support brackets need to be soldiered back on. I love the hood open supports...
          05-17-2018, 07:43 PM
        • Jim Baskin III
          Thermostat moving.
          by Jim Baskin III
          While doing work this winter I replaced the thermostat and installed it in the upper rad. hose next to the head outlet.In the past the thermostat stayed in place, but the new one from Brattons want to move to the top of the rad. hose. How can I stop this without putting a clamp on the rad. hose to stop it moving as I want to keep the engine compartment correct and the extra clamp would look out of...
          04-20-2019, 07:27 AM
        Working...
        X