horn problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horn problem

wanted to adjust my horn & took out the 2 screws in back instead of adjusting the 1 I should have. Haven't been able to get a sound out of it since. Motor spins but no sound

Hey Welcome to the VFF

Usually there is one screw that holds the back cover on and the other screw is for the sound adjustment. The cover needs to be in place for the sound to be made

So are you saying that you have 2 screws that hold the cover on and one for the adjustment?
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• lpl87
      lpl87 commented
      Editing a comment
      just have 2 screws

Originally posted by lpl87 View Post
    wanted to adjust my horn & took out the 2 screws in back instead of adjusting the 1 I should have. Haven't been able to get a sound out of it since. Motor spins but no sound
    Hey, WELCOME to the VFF!

Holy Smokes, I can't remember the last time I removed the adjusting screw. All I can tell ya is keep screwing the screw in until it presses the ratchet against the diaphragm. That is a pivot, when you screw in the screw, it teeters the bar against the end of the motor shaft, so it takes almost the whole length of the screw. Just be sure you are using the right screw....the one with all the threads
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

screwed it all the way in until the motor stopped turning but no sound

Comment

Originally posted by lpl87 View Post
        screwed it all the way in until the motor stopped turning but no sound
        And it worked before you removed the screws?

Check in the horn cap to be sure nothing fell out into the cap when you removed the adjustment screw.

A bit more thinking about it, it sounds like you lost the ratchet from the end of the motor when you removed the pressure off the motor. Check around the area and the end cap for the ratchet.
        Last edited by DaWizard; 08-14-2017, 01:02 PM.
        You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

the back cover is on when your adjusting it correct?
          3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Here is a nice horn tutorial check it out, this may help u figure things out

http://modelabasics.com/horn.htm
            3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• EarlyBert
              EarlyBert commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Mitch. This will be very handy when I work on my horn that is really quiet right now.

Yes the back cover is on. I did find the ratchet & think I finally figured out how it went back on. Wish I had the diagrahms above earlier.

Comment

• lpl87
              lpl87 commented
              Editing a comment
              It did work before & now nothing.

Took it apart last nite & put back together. Adjusted on it for quite a while & must have hit the SWEET spot because it now works !!
            Thanks for the insight & help.

Comment

• Mitch
              Mitch commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the follow up

Related Topics

Collapse

• Cape Codder
            Horn Sound
            by Cape Codder
            Is there anything that can be done to a horn other then the adjusting screw? Horn does not sound like most even using the adjusting screw from one extreme to the other.
            10-21-2017, 08:34 PM
          • aok
            Haunted horn
            by aok
            Had a problem with the horn , traced it to a bad brush.
            Replaced brush holder, spring etc. Tested with battery cover off reinstalled did not work, blew fuse. Three fuses later figured out that the screw that held cover was too long and hit brush. Put a few washers on screw. Horn works!
            05-29-2020, 12:39 AM
          • 31modelaguy
            Can screw issues
            by 31modelaguy
            hey y’all new here with a question. I have a 31 Model A and I’m trying to adjust the timing. My issue is I can’t get the cam screw to come loose. Any suggestions? I’ve tried wd 40 and different lubricants but can’t seem to break it loose. Am I missing something or could the screw just be seized in there? Thanks for any help.
            07-14-2018, 05:50 PM
          • WMWS
            Horn
            by WMWS
            I have what I think is an aftermarket horn. It only has one screw in the cover and that is to take the cover off. The adjustment is underneath the cover. I was going to clean up the motor and replace the brushes but there does not seem to be any way to get it apart. I think I have heard that some of the repros are not rebuildable. Is that the case?
            02-23-2019, 04:51 PM
          • Mitch
            Horn Info!
            by Mitch
            01-01-2018, 01:04 AM
          • Tudor31
            Ahooga horn in trouble
            by Tudor31
            Somebody called himself a knucklehead. Well. here is another one. I have had problems with the horn on my 31 Tudor and have been taking the back cover of multiple times. The last time I guess I didn't tighten the screw enough since it come off while I was out driving. Yes, you guessed it, the cover came off and the car behind my ran it over making it into a flat piece of metal. So, here we go....
            05-31-2018, 08:31 PM
          • Tom Wesenberg
            Horn Adjustment Screw Felt and Wire Terminals Position
            by Tom Wesenberg
            Here's a picture of the round felt pad that fits around the adjustment screw. These felt pads are often missing. I was at Menards the other day to buy some felt door weather stripping, and it would work great to cut a round horn felt. It's 5/8" wide by 3/16" thick, and 17 feet long, and only costs $2 for the roll. It's a medium grey color but could be dyed black by using a felt tip marker....
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.
            07-25-2017, 06:25 AM
          • Beauford
            Got my horn!
            by Beauford
            Got a deal on a Spartan and have zero idea where to hit it with the battery. Two screws on the back I assume? One seems to make a adjustment and the other is just a screw. Going to work now but plan on testing in the morning. Seller says works well....
            06-01-2017, 06:00 PM
          • copgib
            Horn Removal
            by copgib
            While working on my Model A today I read in Les Andrews red book to take the only screw out of the back of the horn to disconnect the wires for removal. Well I tried to do this, but that screw just turns and will not come loose so I can pull the back off the horn. Any suggestions or will I have to start in the front and work my way to the back to take it apart? Any suggestions would be apprciated....
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            06-28-2018, 04:47 PM
          • Jamey E
            Learning something new every day
            by Jamey E
            While working on the car tonight we learned a few new things.
            1. Car was manufactured 2/16/29
            2. It has a Stewart Warner aaaoooga horn.
            3. The brake light is still a pain in the hind end!!
            Question, is the horn an original or an after market brand??
            09-26-2019, 09:49 PM
          Working...
          X