Cylinder wall Temps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder wall Temps...

I took out thermostat, refilled radiator with 3 gallons. Ran engine at about 1/4 throttle. First after 5 minutes water was pissing because I over filled it....it found its level.

After five minutes I took temp on cylinder walls drivers side.

1) 114

2) 109

3) 108

4) 119

10 minutes

1) 169

2) 141

3) 153

4) 173

15 minutes

1) 192

2) 160

3) 175

4) 182

Without the therm it never got over 160-65 on the gauge. (20mins) Also, my temp only jumped to 190 cutting it off. So its running cooler without thermostat.....I still need to time again this afternoon to make sure I am exact.

Any thoughts?

PS: Blasted tank again and it didn't blow up and didn't lose any skin this time.

Your readings look quite good to me.

It is possible the thermostat was too restrictive; some are better than others. I don't use one, I feel it restricts the cooling of cylinder #4, which already has too little cooling. This is controversial like all else. I end up at about 170-180, never more, running an electric temp gauge. If it is a cold day (not common in Texas) then I shove a piece of cardboard over the rad. I would rather restrict AIR flow than WATER flow.

You may also want to put a piece of neoprene gas line over the TOP of the overflow tube to extend it as high up to the cap as possible. Usually this will add another 1-2 inches of height to the tube, and keep a little more water in the rad

Comment

Thanks, Dave!

Comment

• tbirdtbird
        tbirdtbird commented
        Editing a comment
        In fact your temps are fairly even, the water jacket must be quite clean

Related Topics

Collapse

• 1930 Closed Cab PU
      Cooling Performance - Thermostat vs No Thermostat
      by 1930 Closed Cab PU
      Have been testing Cooling System Performance on my 1930 Closed Cab Pickup.

Rebuilt Motor with 1200 miles on it, New Bergs Radiator, fresh oil change Rotella t4 15w40, in cab temp gauge installed.

Conclusions, I may be reinventing the wheel, but kept me busy and it was fun

Driving Performance

Best results - with Thermostat positioned correctly...
      07-01-2019, 11:25 AM
    • Chap52
      Motometer Reading-NOT!
      by Chap52
      I am having an issue with the motometer reading on my 30 Tudor. The only time I have gotten a reading is when I was on a 30+ mile outing, running at about 45mph and then the reading was just for a few moments. I then took the motometer apart and checked it in hot water comparing it to a meat thermometer. All OK.
      Yesterday with still no reading I experienced a leak, spray out of the motometer...
      03-04-2019, 07:28 AM
    • Bill G
      Condensation in oil filler pipe
      by Bill G
      See the attached photo. This was taken a couple months ago when it was still colder outside and I would go out to the garage every week or so during the winter and start the car up for a while or even take it for a few mile drive. Since then I cleaned it out, but now after about 100 miles and warmer weather, it is forming again. Weather now is in the upper '70's to low '80's

If I hold...
      05-08-2018, 02:23 AM
    • rheacox
      Foamy Coolant
      by rheacox
      I've been reading through past posts on this problem but haven't found a situation quite like mine. My car doesn't use any water (level does sit a little low, right at the tubes when cold), and temps are pretty good to my eye. The road to my house is a 1000ft climb over 4 miles, usually do it at 45mph. Temp measures 170-175 right after pulling into the driveway with a thermometer in the neck of the...
      05-24-2019, 12:36 PM
    • Greynomad
      Unusual way to back flush the radiator
      by Greynomad
      I recently built what looks like a farm ute, straight out of the paddock. For a radiator, I used one I had which I removed from the car we use to tow our camper outback. It was very near but not quite up to its job in high ambient temperatures while towing a trailer that weighs about a tonne at 50 mph. I figured it would likely be OK in a vehicle that wasn't going to tow anything. I was wrong (I think)....
      11-20-2019, 07:03 PM
    • Mark Maron
      Ok Engine temp time of the year.
      by Mark Maron
      Ok have to get some opinions. 29 TS. Running anti freeze still, thermostat, temp gauge & motometor. It’s been in the mid to high 80’s here in chi town (we skip spring around here). Car driving great and running at a solid 190 degrees. should I:

forget about it it all is good, go drive

drain anti freeze for distilled water keep thermostat.

remove thermostat...
      05-24-2018, 04:20 PM
    • Tom Wesenberg
      Engine Overheat and Thermostat Warning
      by Tom Wesenberg
      I use a thermostat in all my cars, including my Model A's, so this warning applies to modern and Model A cars. As many now know, I was in Arizona for 2 months to reunite with my girlfriend from the 70's and also to buy a nice rust free Buick. When I returned home the other day I noticed the engine temp would only get up to 109*. Even after completely blocking the air in front of the radiator, the...
      02-15-2019, 09:23 PM
    • Dan/Kzo
      Marco’s tech tip ‘Model A overheating’
      by Dan/Kzo
      On Marco’s site under ‘more on engine overheating’ there is an illustration describing a change in early to mid 29 where the baffle cavity cast into the block at the water inlet was increased to 5/8” to change the flow through the block to help reduce overheating. “Service letters were sent to the dealers” with instructions to alter the blocks baffle passage. I was hoping to find information...
      05-18-2019, 05:05 AM
    • 1930 Closed Cab PU
      Cooling Theory - Berts Radiator, rebuilt motor, thermostat
      by 1930 Closed Cab PU
      Think I just had a major aha, had a "now I think I understand" moment. Want to run it past Y'all, make sure I am correct.

Have been anxiously waiting for some summer heat to arrive. Me being a worrywart, did not understand why on a 75 degree day my temperature gauge is reading 180 - 185 degrees. I've seen posts that with a Bergs, clean cooling system, and a good motor it is...
      06-23-2019, 05:52 PM
    • carolinamudwalker
      Engine running to cold
      by carolinamudwalker
      Well now I have done it. Started with installing a new Auto-Meter temp gauge as per T-bird. I got the 180 deg. antique version with large numbers. Next I followed a very extensive article by Andy Wiedeman called COOLING SYSTEM SEMINARE dated Feb 25 2012. Tried to post the link but would not work. Drained and flushed radiator, pulled out thermostat, filled with distilled water and water wetter....
      06-17-2018, 09:17 AM
    Working...
    X