Rear of hood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear of hood?

My sons are helping me reassemble my 1929 roadster PU which was disassembled in the early seventies (yes, I know, some of you weren't born yet) and I have a question. I can't find the answer in any of the many books I have purchased. The center hood rod slides into the hole in the front. What happens in the back at the cowl. Does it just sit there? I saw a suggestion that you tie a little loop of wire around it?? Thanks in advance as I am sure the answer will appear.

P.S. Thank the good lord for helpful sons as my old mind and body get bogged down and move slowly.

You are missing a little piece that goes on the rod at the back of the hood and is help down by two screws in to the cowl also do not forget about hood lacing on the cowl and radiator shell.

Comment

3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

the rear bracket shown also can slide laterally to help align hood form side to side

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
          BILL WILLIAMSON commented
          Editing a comment
          Is that PIC worth a thousand wurds?----LOL
          Bill Silly

I'll check my "what is this?" parts box, but I don't think it was there when I bought it Labor Day weekend 1970. (Who knows?) I do remember a neighbor and I lifting the hood off and not using any tools. Thanks to all, and YES Bill Silly at least a thousand.

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          1970? Maybe the mice ate it

This is the place for help, great guys here.

Comment

Mitch, mice, or groundhogs, scurvy of the earth!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Beauford
            Damn hood...
            by Beauford
            there is zero frame sag so we can skip that part. (frame was checked before build) There is equal distance on either side of rad shells to hood sides. My shell is mounted as far back as shells allow. Adjusting the hood rods get the top cowl tight but what I need is the sides to meet the rad shell.
            09-09-2018, 08:48 AM
          • Art Ebeling
            Hood latch
            by Art Ebeling
            I have four hood latches two have the seam in the barrel on the hood side and two have the seam on the fender side. All four might be reproduction as the hook that fits on the hood is not very well formed, they are kind of straight, not curved. How do I tell if they are original or not? Thanks, Art
            11-17-2018, 06:44 AM
          • carolinamudwalker
            Hood Hinges
            by carolinamudwalker
            On the center line of the hood there are 4 riveted hinges. 2 at the front and 2 at the rear. Are these available anywhere? I have two at the front that someone tried to weld but they cracked again.
            09-07-2018, 02:15 PM
          • Nabco
            Question on this hood???
            by Nabco
            So I’m at a big car show today, about 2,000 cars in total....this car is parked a couple down from me....why does the hood look different.
            07-07-2018, 11:59 AM
          • Mitch
            Hood Props
            by Mitch
            Here are a couple of hood prop options that i use. The little guy that mounts to the cowl comes right off with one screw. I like these options better than the huge setup that mounts to the rods....
            12-02-2017, 02:00 PM
          • Beauford
            Radiator support rods
            by Beauford
            anyone know the length of these rods...I have the mid '29 - up rods and they seem to be 1/2 inch to long. I don't know if a early 28 frame makes a difference. I have a new 28-29 rad.
            08-14-2017, 02:40 PM
          • Cullen
            Radiator Shell Position ?
            by Cullen
            I am building a 29 Ford Model A pickup out of pieces......cab parts here, fenders there, etc.
            I am using all Miata running gear and suspension parts but I want the truck to look like a 29 that just came out of a barn.
            Here is what I need. I am trying to locate the Height above and Distance in front of the front cross member that the stock radiator shell mounts.
            I am not using a radiator...
            01-08-2018, 07:45 AM
          • Beauford
            Hood Shelves
            by Beauford
            In between my blocks the shelf is raised a little off the splash. Yes they are repop. Any ideas to resolve this? Same on both sides and all bolts in correct holes. Hood is not on yet but hoping since the blocks are down good that the latching will at least push it down....
            08-15-2018, 06:24 PM
          • Jeff/Illinois
            Proper fit repop '30-'31 Model A hoods
            by Jeff/Illinois
            Do the hoods that Rootlieb or Brookville Roadster make today, have the proper curvature in the rear of the hood, to match the curvature of the cowl? Most reproduction hoods I see aren't formed correctly here. They are straight. These seem to have been coming out in the '70's.

I've looked at their web sites and all they say is 'made to original, etc.'

Thanks...
            10-08-2017, 12:45 PM
          • Bobm90
            Hood Identification
            by Bobm90
            This is a picture of the hood on my 30 Town sedan, please note the holes in it surrounding the louvers, these appear to be factory made and are on both sides, the hood fits fairly well, I haven't seen these on any A hoods or replacements maybe you more experienced guys have , any info would be welcomed, thanks.
            04-30-2018, 07:48 AM
          Working...
          X