Rear of hood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear of hood?

My sons are helping me reassemble my 1929 roadster PU which was disassembled in the early seventies (yes, I know, some of you weren't born yet) and I have a question. I can't find the answer in any of the many books I have purchased. The center hood rod slides into the hole in the front. What happens in the back at the cowl. Does it just sit there? I saw a suggestion that you tie a little loop of wire around it?? Thanks in advance as I am sure the answer will appear.

P.S. Thank the good lord for helpful sons as my old mind and body get bogged down and move slowly.

You are missing a little piece that goes on the rod at the back of the hood and is help down by two screws in to the cowl also do not forget about hood lacing on the cowl and radiator shell.

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

the rear bracket shown also can slide laterally to help align hood form side to side

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
          BILL WILLIAMSON commented
          Editing a comment
          Is that PIC worth a thousand wurds?----LOL
          Bill Silly

I'll check my "what is this?" parts box, but I don't think it was there when I bought it Labor Day weekend 1970. (Who knows?) I do remember a neighbor and I lifting the hood off and not using any tools. Thanks to all, and YES Bill Silly at least a thousand.

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          1970? Maybe the mice ate it

This is the place for help, great guys here.

Comment

Mitch, mice, or groundhogs, scurvy of the earth!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Art Ebeling
            Hood sides
            by Art Ebeling
            I am just finishing the hood for my 31. Should the very bottom edge be a straight line? If laying on it's side should it lay flat? Mine seems to curve inward at the middle between the latches. In the Judging Standards in the hood section it says "Inspect the hood sides for proper curvature by viewing from the rear on each side of the vehicle". What is that referring to? Thanks, A...
            12-10-2018, 07:49 PM
          • Beauford
            Damn hood...
            by Beauford
            there is zero frame sag so we can skip that part. (frame was checked before build) There is equal distance on either side of rad shells to hood sides. My shell is mounted as far back as shells allow. Adjusting the hood rods get the top cowl tight but what I need is the sides to meet the rad shell.
            09-09-2018, 08:48 AM
          • Hazelhoff
            Installing hood alone
            by Hazelhoff
            Anybody installed a hood on your own ? The car is ready and shiny. I would prefer to not hiring people to help.
            12-03-2018, 11:40 AM
          • Hazelhoff
            Hood rods
            by Hazelhoff
            Well, got help and installed the Hood. Now I notice the smaller rods which hold the side panels are the hood length .. Wouldn't it be better to cut them so the tips don't sit on the lace, forcing the hood away from where it is supposed to rest ?
            12-10-2018, 09:52 AM
          • Bill G
            I knew this was going to happen.
            by Bill G
            That is, I knew I could not hold back. Got it back from paint and can't wait to dink with it. Waiting for a hot day and a couple helpers to put the top on, so making busy with other stuff. Tonight was "hood night" I put new corners and rubber bumpers on the hood side panels. Put cowl/hood lacing on front edge of gas tank. Wired it in. Assembled the hood on a dry-run basis. Needed...
            This gallery has 14 photos.
            05-14-2019, 02:33 AM
          • Art Ebeling
            Hood latch
            by Art Ebeling
            I have four hood latches two have the seam in the barrel on the hood side and two have the seam on the fender side. All four might be reproduction as the hook that fits on the hood is not very well formed, they are kind of straight, not curved. How do I tell if they are original or not? Thanks, Art
            This gallery has 2 photos.
            11-17-2018, 06:44 AM
          • carolinamudwalker
            Hood Hinges
            by carolinamudwalker
            On the center line of the hood there are 4 riveted hinges. 2 at the front and 2 at the rear. Are these available anywhere? I have two at the front that someone tried to weld but they cracked again.
            09-07-2018, 02:15 PM
          • Nabco
            Question on this hood???
            by Nabco
            So I’m at a big car show today, about 2,000 cars in total....this car is parked a couple down from me....why does the hood look different.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            07-07-2018, 11:59 AM
          • DBaldwin
            Hood alignment.
            by DBaldwin
            I know this horse has been beaten to death and it usually ends up being frame sag. I still have a question concerning the two different hoods sold through the venders they sell a 28-29 and a 30-31 because of all the other problems I’ve came across with Hugh’s coupe I have to question wether or not this is the correct hood?are there tell tale signs or measurements that can be taken to confirm that...
            01-02-2021, 06:32 PM
          • Mach.8
            Hood Latches Pop Open
            by Mach.8
            On the right side only, after driving at speed, the right hood latches become unlatched. The latches and hinge appear to be in good condition and the hood acceptably aligned. The spring tension in the latches seems good and equal to those on the left. The radiator support rods are tight. I've only driven the car about 500 miles, but this is happening with increased frequency. Any ideas on how...
            This gallery has 5 photos.
            05-12-2020, 08:47 AM
          Working...
          X