Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correct black paint for gen., starter, oil pan, etc.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct black paint for gen., starter, oil pan, etc.?

The engine is out of my 29 Tudor being rebuilt by the folks out in Skokie, Il. While everything is off the engine-I figured now would be the time to paint the black stuff. Would Rustoleum gloss black be close? I'm not really going for a high point show car, but since everything is off and relatively easy to paint-I would like to get it close. Obviously, Rustoleum paint is readily available. Thanks, Smitty

I like Rustoleum gloss or semi-gloss black for the starter and generator.

Comment

Smit,
      Coils varied between satin and gloss black, distributor semi gloss, armored cable gloss black, generators varied from satin to semi gloss, and the same with the starter, oil pan semi will work

like Tom i use rustoleum a lot
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Thanks guys!! I looked at my judging standards book today and it just said "black" - it didn't specify semi-gloss or gloss. I think I'm going to go with the semi-gloss. Thanks again!

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          Smit
          regarding the starter and generator yes the JS says black, but did you read the next sentence? ""satin to semigloss"""

Find a black that you like and stick with it I believe the re where differences in color from the factory

Comment

We've had issues with the Rustoleum and other recent rattle can paint formulations to meet VOC req'ts. They now may contain acetone which can wrinkle substrate primers/ prior finishes. The Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy gloss does not list acetone as one of the ingredients and is not as aggressive.
          Update: we tried again the Rustoleum black engine enamel again on a couple of parts for the engine in cooler weather, around 65 deg. It flowed out well and didn't curl the substrate primer and prior sanded finishes as before in temps. above 75 deg. The black isn't as grey toned as some others.
          Last edited by plyfor; 08-15-2017, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Chevmn56
            judging Standards Paint Codes
            by Chevmn56
            Hello all !!! i am real close to putting various engine parts back on Clyde. What started as a tune up 2 months ago, has now grown. I think i have the bug also. But in reading the Judging Standards book it makes referance to 2 paimt codes B- Black and R-Raven, now on doing some research on the internet i think R-Raven would be gloss black?????, so what is B-Black????? satin????
            01-16-2018, 07:48 PM
          • Steve Plucker
            Paint schemes...
            by Steve Plucker
            In Section 1 (Engine Compartment) and Section 4 (Undercarriage) of the Standards, the paint schemes per part are spelled out.
            Now we go to Area 7 (Brake System) and very little is told about the individual brake parts being a specific "black" color.
            Can you please tell me what parts are:
            1. Satin Black
            2. Semi-gloss Black
            3. Gloss Black
            I just can not...
            04-10-2019, 11:07 PM
          • Mike V. Florida
            Japan Black
            by Mike V. Florida
            There are a few items on the A that were protected by the process called Japan Black or Japanning. The Guidelines say the parts were dull but from what I have read and seen about the process, the results were far from dull.

So here are the questions, has anyone used the process? How glossy did it come out? Did you have it judged and what was the point result?

Here is a formula...
            02-17-2019, 02:21 PM
          • SeaSlugs
            28-early 29 floor board paint?
            by SeaSlugs
            So im getting a set of floor boards done - dovetailed wood plank style, all holes cut for AA with dual high pedals, holes drilled for support straps - went to old ace hardware for #12x3/4 screws with slotted head, but unsure of what to use to stain or paint them. I tested on the upper board near the pedals with black minwax polystain. Soaked in nicely to the end grain and will preserve it forever...
            09-03-2018, 09:42 PM
          • 1930murray
            Axle part paint sheens
            by 1930murray
            What black paint sheen should the spring clamps be? (I am referring to the c-shaped clamp that clips into and around the middle leaf of each pack)

What black paint sheen should the spring hanger (shackle) be?

what black paint sheen should the hanger bars be?

I am wondering why these items are not listed on sheet 4-22 in the judging standards. Are these components...
            03-21-2019, 09:56 PM
          • Steve Plucker
            Cad Plating and Black Oxide kits...
            by Steve Plucker
            Cad Plating and Black Oxide kits...

Who have you found that makes the best Cad Plating and Black Oxide kits that are on the market today?

Thanks.

Pluck
            11-28-2018, 08:38 AM
          • carolinamudwalker
            Black paint
            by carolinamudwalker
            I need to paint the panels just above the running boards. The fenders have been painted with a base coat/clear coat. My problem is I don't want to buy a gallon of paint. I think it was Tom W. that recommended a very black paint from one of the auto parts stores but I could not find that thread. I prefer a paint with a hardener for spraying. Any suggestions?
            02-17-2019, 12:22 PM
          • Jim Mason
            Japan black
            by Jim Mason
            Here's a link to an article I wrote re:Japan black. please note asphaltum is not the same as asphalt or road tar. just as amber is not the same as pine pitch.
            http://jmodela.coffeecup.com/japan_black.html
            08-28-2017, 11:29 PM
          • Tom Wesenberg
            Original Finish on 1929 Floorboards
            by Tom Wesenberg
            I have never seen original floorboards with just a wood preservative, unless Ford had some that looks like gloss black paint. I have a pretty nice set of original dovetailed Maple floorboards from an early 1929 Tudor, and they have a lot of the original black paint on them. They also have a run or two, so it looks to me like they got a heavy spray of gloss black or were dipped into the paint and hung...
            01-11-2018, 10:17 PM
          Working...
          X