Which Engine Oil to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Engine Oil to use

I have a 1931 Model A with an original engine, never out of the frame or rebuilt. What type and weight oil would be the best for this Car ?

Hey Atlasboy, great to see you posting again.
    Your oil question, is one of alot of discussion on the forum.
    Mitch did a poll on oil types that everyone uses.
    The related topics section, listed below, will bring up related threads as well.
    I personally use 15w40 Shell Rotella, as a friend of mine, also on this forum, suggested this type.
    He was in the oil business, so I trust his advice.
    Good Luck !
    Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

Not much information to work with here. When was this engine last run? What's in the oil pan? Pull the valve cover and oil pan to see if any crud is in there. If it looks clean refer to the bazillion posts we've got about oil preferences. If it looks dirty with sludge I would clean the pan, oil pump and valve chamber making sure that oil is reaching the main bearings before I would fill it with fresh oil and try to start it.

Comment

Atlasboy, there is enough oil information here to fill a small book and it is all great information. The one thing you need to remember is, the oil blends of today have no comparison to the oils used 86+ years ago, so what ever your wallet can afford is going to be good. One thing I do agree on is don't run non-detergent oils.

Personally, yesterday at a local "cruise night" it just happens to be within walking distance of a WalMart and I took the stroll and purchased the last two bottles of their generic conventional 20w50 oil. Since I am filtering the oil, I don't feel it necessary to change it every 500 miles, but I do change it often and at $12.88/1.25gal(5qt) I'm not breaking the bank but I am protecting the engine.

Remember, without an oil pan drop, it only takes about 4qt so with the 5qt bottle, there will be some left over, do not over fill it! Since there is a small usage between changes, I just keep that bottle handy and keep the oil topped off til the change time.

If I were to take an old engine and get it running, first thing I would do is drain the oil, bend a coat hanger at a right angle and stick it up in the drain hole and twist it around to see just how much sludge is in there. If it is deep, pull the pan, if not, toss a quart of ATF in with the first oil and run it for only a few minutes, enough to heat up the engine and change oil. If you do this, see if the sludge starts to loosen up and exit the drain. If not, you can run the same oil through cheese cloth and put it back in the engine and run it more. I have increased the amount of ATF with each change and straining, but don't go over 50/50 as you still need the heavier oil lubrication.

If you pull the pan, also pull the valve cover and check the drains to the main bearings by using a pipe cleaner. These are easily found, the center main is right behind the oil pump/distributor drive, and the front is right behind the first valve lifter boss, and the rear is the same, but behind the last lifter boss. If you need pictures of where they are, ask, if someone else, Dave, doesn't have an open engine, I might be able to come up with something.

But if the sludge build up isn't deep, I see no reason to pull the pan unless this is what you want to do. The ATF is very high detergent and will break loose the crud, so often changes are a must! This doesn't mean you have to use fresh oil with each change, but if you don't use fresh oil, be sure to strain it as you don't want to put the junk drained back in the engine.

I must disclaim, I have done this myself, this is not to say it will work in all cases, I have had it work, and had to drop the pan, so your mileage may vary.
        You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Atlas take a look at our oil poll in the powertrain tech forum, then draw your own conclusions on which oil to use . If your motor has sludge in it from years of running a non detergent brew then it would be prudent to clean out the valve chamber and the oil pan. Switching to a detergent oil on a sludged motor may cause the main oil feed holes in the valve chamber and the oil pump pick up screen in the pan to get clogged.
          Maybe others can add some more relative information
          3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

If the engine valve chamber and oil pan are clear of sludge, you can use any modern oil you want. Unless you are running insert bearings stay away from the fuel saving oils like 5w20. Once you decide on a type of oil, stay with it. Don't go changing brands etc. as each brand has there own additive package. Best to keep to one type of oil. Me I use Shell Rotella T 15W40. Been using it since 1988 and have never had a oil related issue.

Comment

• JDupuis
              JDupuis commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow...when Steve speaks..I listen!
              Good to see your typing buddy!

Gentlemen , Thank you all. I apologize that I did not spell out the condition of the Engine , I cannot find much sludge anywhere.
            The Engine has been , believe it or not , run at times over the years and kept rather clean, and from what I have been told and what I see , it is rather clean inside.
            I will go with a detergent Oil probably 15W40. I always thought that detergent Oil was NG for a Model A as it promotes foam. Maybe I am wrong about that.

Comment

• JDupuis
              JDupuis commented
              Editing a comment
              You’re on the right path.
              Don't be worried about the oil foaming. Even if it foams...it still lubricates.

Originally posted by Atlasboy View Post
            I always thought that detergent Oil was NG for a Model A as it promotes foam
            Nope you'll be good

Have fun
            3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said
            "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Sounds like you got it figured out, I also use a 15w40 oil, usually Delo as I get an extremely good deal on it.

Comment

I am another fan of Rotella 15W40! I get mine at TSC in 10 qt containers. As every one else has said, steer clear of non detergent oil. It wasn't fine in Henry's day, It was just all they had.

Comment

I was advised by an old timer that if the engine has been using a non detergent, to not switch to a detergent oil. It will loosen the crud and cause problems. If you do decide to use a detergent add a filter and change it often.
                  28 Tudor
                  57 Tbird
                  2kMR2 Spyder
                  62 Willys Pickup

Wise man once told me you don’t know what you don’t know

Comment

• Mitch
                    Mitch commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That was good advice from the old timer.

The best solution is to just clean the crud out first

Even after cleaning all the crud out, using a detergent oil will constantly loosen and break down, the filter is necessary to collect all the crud and carbon.
                  28 Tudor
                  57 Tbird
                  2kMR2 Spyder
                  62 Willys Pickup

Wise man once told me you don’t know what you don’t know

Comment

Originally posted by JDupuis View Post
                    I personally use 15w40 Shell Rotella, as a friend of mine, also on this forum, suggested this type.
                    He was in the oil business, so I trust his advice.
                    Good Luck !
                    My engine builder, Ron Kelly from Texas (that’s a State now), suggested that same oil you use.

Comment

I don't use Rotella personally but I'm sure it is a good oil and a lot of guys in antique cars use it and swear by it. You'll do well with it.

And one nice thing about it is, you can buy it in 5 qt. jugs at WalMart pretty cheap! 4-4 1/2 gts. at a refill the other stayed in the dipper tray. You won't get 5 qts. out unless it is overfilled. In that case the extra oil probably found it's way out onto the garage floor anyway.
                      Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 12-02-2018, 02:00 PM.

Comment