Tool tip, AKA you don't know what you don't know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool tip, AKA you don't know what you don't know

Mitch has written about the Mini-Ductor as a way of heating and freeing up frozen bolts, nuts, studs, etc. inductively.
    So this is not a new tip, but a personal use report.
    I just finished rebuilding a 6-cyl motor, all painted up, etc, and was ready to hang the custom made dual exhaust a guy made me 4 yrs ago. Shame on me for not looking more closely, I thought it would use the existing manifold studs. NOPE. Needs longer ones which he supplied. Now manifold studs never come out without a fight, and if you break one off you will have a really bad day. And on this engine, I have to remove 6 of them. These had been in for 70 years and they were planning on staying right there.

I would usually blast'em with the O/A torch, but with all the fresh paint I would have to have the hand of a jeweler. I did use it once but knew I was gonna get in trouble. A neighbor happened to have bought a Mini-Ductor for this exact problem on a car he is working on, so I borrowed it. But I couldn't seem to get it to do much. The studs he was working on were 7/16, and I used the same heater coil as he did. I spoke to Mitch and he said you want the smallest diameter coil you can get on there, and my studs were only 3/8.

Voila! Red hot studs! I deliberately heat cycled them 6 times knowing patience avoids catastrophe. Heat'em, let'em totally cool down, so wait about 30 min in between. It took me several hrs, but I got'em. Used some percussion by tapping on the ends, and a stud remover. Pix attached. The Inductive heater is off in the pic, so no red glow

Mitch, great job keeping us up to date with technology!

image000000(2).jpg
    71Ap3z2JoeL._SX466_.jpg

way to go it is fun when every think works right.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Dave.
      Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

That sure is the way to heat stuck things. Nice work.

Comment

• tbirdtbird
          tbirdtbird commented
          Editing a comment
          Tom you will recognize that Champion motor

Nice job Dave and not a mark on the paint. We use it all the time where a flame can be disastrous. Here is a video I made showing it working, from our old tool tidbits thread

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...1564#post21564
        3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• George Miller
          George Miller commented
          Editing a comment
          Mitch is that like the one you had at the work shop?

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes it's the same one

Way cool! Or should I say Hot. Thanks - I think my Christmas list just changed.....

Comment

• tbirdtbird
          tbirdtbird commented
          Editing a comment
          get the accessory kit with it, that way you have a lot of choices of heating coils and sizes

Now that is a really good tip. Thanks to everyone for sharing. Terrific video Mitch. Does anyone know if they are available as 230 volt as nobody in Europe uses 110v.
        Last edited by Tony Hillyard; 11-28-2018, 01:40 AM.

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          Tony see the link below.

• tbirdtbird
          tbirdtbird commented
          Editing a comment
          Tony, you can get the piece even redder hot than what the vid shows, same glowing cherry red as an O/A torch

• Tony Hillyard
          Tony Hillyard commented
          Editing a comment
          Very many thanks Mitch and tbirdbird. So they do do a 220v version. Another one for the Christmas list!!!!

Thanks for posting this, I don’t remember seeing this tool advertised back in my engineering days (think Plant Engineer or Engineering News Review). Who makes it?

Comment

http://www.theinductor.com/induction...ts/mini-ductor

3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

If you buy the inductor make sure you get the ACCY kit that has all different size coils.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I am using my inductor to remove some seized water pump studs today. Like Dave I don't want to torch and flame the paint off the engine or get the flame near the outlet housing gasket. I like using a stud socket better than those common stud removers. A stud socket pulls on it evenly instead of yanking it to one side. A little dab of grease on the stud adds a nice smoke effect

9775A608-BDFE-477E-BB34-DA39406226EF.jpeg

3 ~ Tudor's
              Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Now just a cotton pickin' minute, tell us more about that stud socket, new one on me.
                Which is why I titled the thread the way I did

You don't heat cycle it, you just go for it?
                Plus those were 5/16 studs, not much meat there.......

frozen studs give me migraines

Comment

• Mitch
                  Mitch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  These studs sockets have rollers inside which act as a one way clutch. If you buy cheapos they will be damaged when using them on a red hot stud. This is one tool where quality really counts.

A couple years ago there was a nice complete set of Snap-On stud sockets for $125 at the used tool store. Foolishly I didn't buy them right away, and when I returned a week later they were gone. And now, even worse, the store is also gone, closed for good.

Comment

• Mitch
                  Mitch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That was cheap and guaranteed for life. I always search eBay for good deals on snap on tools

Thanks for all the excellent info.! How can this posting/thread be found for future reference?

Comment

Originally posted by 40B1930 View Post
                  Thanks for all the excellent info.! How can this posting/thread be found for future reference?
                  Try typing these key words in the search feature. "frozen stud" or "stud" and it will pull out those keywords in posts. The search looks at the entire posts and not just the titles. It will highlight the words in yellow
                  3 ~ Tudor's
                  Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Here is a Snap-On stud remover set on ebay right now. Buy it now for $174.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-On-Too....c100167.m2940

Comment

• JDupuis
                      JDupuis commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Tom and Mitch.
                      Another new tool to be on the lookout for.

• 40B1930
                      40B1930 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That one sold quickly.