Question on "extra" parts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on "extra" parts...

As some of you know - I'm a newbie. I have a 1930 Town Sedan - Murray body. Not planning to restore, just want to make a decent driver - not a rat rod, not a street rod - just a Model A driver... Nothing is definite - everything is dependent on money, of course. I'm 60 and will be doing most if not all the work myself. I know I've been over this before. I'm getting to the punch line really!
    With the car I got a lot of parts. Some of the new parts that I didn't intend to use - I sold to finance other parts. But I have a lot of old parts as well. I have one engine with head that looks half way decent. I have one engine minus head that looks pretty good (has oil pan). The third engine is a rusted hulk... I have one transmission w/bell-housing & shifter, a couple of clutch covers, and lots of tranny parts (shift towers, cases, gears, old bearings...). I have a few timing covers (both parts), oil return pipes, several oil pumps, rods - some caps, water pump parts (just found those LOL but don't think they would have helped me - no castings), old valves, some lovingly saved in boxes with springs, guides & retainers...
    I want to keep some spares, obviously, but I want to raise some money for other parts and need to get rid of some of this stuff! Every time I walk around my Model A head studs are reaching out to scratch me - LOL! Oh, I have two bucket seats out of a mid 60's GM A body - they were the "back seat" in my A. I'm sure they will sell and I can find me a nice mini van seat to put back there. The only original part of the back seat was the back wood frame. I do still have the arm rests tho! Going to save those and reuse them. And I'd love right now to have a decent water outlet (mine is solid but very corroded). And I need a right front window regulator - right now a wire is holding the window up. Meaning I know someone needs some of these parts and I need some parts...
    So - here's the question: What do I sell and what do I keep? I know see if it runs first before you sell too much and I will. But I plan to have it started before the end of the year if possible. I mean how many spare oil pumps do I need? Because of all the tranny parts it came with I'm thinking it must need a transmission(?) But how many cases, shift towers do you need?
    My work has held me up so far (I'm the only IT guy for 65 people in 3 offices and I'm always on call) but I have a bunch of vacation to burn in the next six weeks!
    And the next question, related to the first one, sell on eBay? I've had decent luck selling things on Facebook on the Model A parts selling site... I'm not really wanting to make a fortune just try to fund my car --as much as possible-- from my "mad money" and not the "general fund" (if you catch my drift).
    =========================
    I do want to add this. Even tho the water pump was a little frustrating I'm having a blast. Wish the process could go faster but it is what it is. Walking into my man cave (my man cave is in my garage) I get a thrill out of seeing that car sitting there. I sometimes just stand and look at it. It's like owning a history book and getting to work on it. I learn something new every time I get to playing with it. Thanks for putting up with me guys. I appreciate all your help.
    Dan Reynolds

I would suggest that is an almost impossible question to answer Dan. You can bet your life, as soon a as you sell something, within a month you will need it! Don't ever worry about what you don't know. You have come to the right place for good honest, practical advice. I have been involved with old cars for almost 60 years. And I still learn something new every day. That's what makes it interesting.

Give it a couple of days and the good common sense will come rolling in on the VFF. Enjoy your model A. Tony

Comment

It shouldn’t take much to get it running. What more is needed to achieve that? Then worry about what blowing some stuff out
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• KB9JLO
        KB9JLO commented
        Editing a comment
        Mitch, it's looking better now that I got the frezer-reezin gal darned water pump finished (you have to speak looney tunes to understand that statement!). I need to static time it - the Les books cover static timing with a Mallory dizzy very well. I actually understand what's being said (plus past mechanical experiences). I was putting off the oil change till I was really close - no big deal and we've covered how to handle that. I have some wiring to do and install the alternator - again, nothing complicated there. But I have to buy a battery and an ammeter. I took the dash apart - the ammeter I believe is completely disconnected inside. I'm going to buy a 30A ammeter (using 12V alternator). I have money for both of those items. I have to order the ammeter.
        Biggest thing left is pulling the valve cover and taking a look-see. I do have a valve cover and oil pipe gaskets (and oil plug gaskets).

Dan, I want to thank you again for joining the VFF.
      Our entire membership has been enlightened by your genuine enthusiasm for your new experiences.
      Don't be in too much of a rush to sell your spare parts for cash, as often times not, they make better trade bait.
      Talk with fellow members in your local Model A chapter, then start some horse trading. Monies may never be needed for exchange. Fellow A'ers would rather see their old parts be put to use again, rather than hoarded.
      As for the spare engine, get it running. You never know when it will come in handy.
      Plus, all those spare part will be handy for your next build. . Jeff
      Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

• KB9JLO
        KB9JLO commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Jeff. I appreciate that.

I always have parts for sale to fund whatever is next in life. The A is on hold indefinately at this point. Chassis/ mechanical parts are harder to sell. Rod
      "Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good." Thomas Sowell

Comment

I bought my only Model A when I was 58. The truck I bought had the body and interior already restored. The mechancal (engine, transmission, brakes and suspension) were in unrestored condition. Over the least 14 years I've managed to restore everything else, not to fine point standards, but very good driver standards. In all those years I have never needed two blocks, two transmissions, two axles (large items). I never wanted more then one Model A so there was no need to have spares. Unless you are planning to build another Model A, I would work on one thing at a time and when that's completed, sell the extra parts you didn't need to complete it and move on to the next item. Example, when you have rebuilt the engine, there's on need for spare engine blocks, heads, rods, pistons, oil pans, manifolds........etc. Chances are you'll never need them. If I were in your position, that's what I would do. Just my opinion, good luck with your project.

Comment

I keep good original parts that the vendors don't generally sell and then some; original stainless steel door handles/ radiator shells, good carburetor bodies, motor mounts, wheels,oil return pipes that can come apart, bell housing if not cracked, oil pan, windshield wipers, steering housing or 2, body trim parts,window regulators etc. Get ahold of parts catalogues and study them and try to fill the voids. Also, check out ebay and Model A sites to see what's being offered and pricing. Decades ago, I sold 3 van loads of model A parts but kept some original parts that weren't being reproduced at the time.

Comment

• KB9JLO
            KB9JLO commented
            Editing a comment
            Shoot - that reminds me. I have several carbs and they all look like they've been rebuilt. There are two each Zenith, Marvel-Schiebler (that plant was in Decatur where I live) and Tillitsons. Plus spare parts. I'm keeping all of them till it runs! LOL!

I keep everything plus buy more.

Comment

Good engines with out cracks and not bored way over size are getting harder to find. There was a guy just the other day that his transmission busted in pieces. I would keep the good engine and a transmission for sure.

Comment

• KB9JLO
              KB9JLO commented
              Editing a comment
              If it does run. And even if it runs fine. I really want to attempt to rebuild one, hop it up a little... That's my dream, goal, whatever you want to call it.

Check the serial numbers on the engine blocks and the title. Then be sure that the car ends up with the correct number on the engine.

Comment

• KB9JLO
              KB9JLO commented
              Editing a comment
              Got that covered! LOL! I checked that first. Hee, hee.

My motto, though I still don't always practice it.
            Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Comment

Parts will get you thru times of no money better than money will get through times of no parts
              http://jmodela.coffeecup.com

Comment

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                I like that Jim, how true

• Jim Mason
                Jim Mason commented
                Editing a comment
                Paraphrased from an underground comic of the 70s. Fabulous furry freak brothers.

Hi folks, another newbie on the VFF. Reading Dan's original post (#1, above), I felt like I had written paragraph #2 myself! I have inherited Dad's '31 Wide bed that he bought in1970 - when he got "Model A" bug - drove for 6 months, and then decided to tear it apart to restore. So he and I, his 13 year-old son, began the disassembly process in his 2½ car garage. That's where I learned all there is to know Model A - the grille shells, the wheels, the body aprons, the instrument panels, dash indent, gas caps, etc. Dad joined MARC, MAFCA, went to shows, swap meets, club meetings, and soon realized he had no car to DRIVE! So he located a '30 Town Sedan, in need of a light resto, spent the next year and a half on paint (himself), upholstery (himself), and fresh engine rebuild, and now had a driver.
              Now able to get back to the truck, he started, natch, with the frame. After meticulous and painstaking stripping, he drilled out all those worn-out rivets, put a beautiful coat of black lacquer on the frame members, and was just beside himself after fastening it all back together with brand new cad-plated bolts! Wasn't long after, he's beaming about his progress at a club meeting, when one member said "Joe, you used cad-plated BOLTS? No, no, no, hehe, that will never fly! They'll take points off for that." So Dad, the machinist, ever the perfectionist, was not about to continue with an incorrect resto detail. So over in the corner the frame went, to be rectified later. He then began in earnest on the cab. Learned lead, repaired the rusted cowl and bottom rear of the cab ('nother story!), bought and installed new Bonney kit, sprayed it all with red primer, and black lacquer on the inside. Then life happened, one project after another resulted in never finishing the truck.
              My father died in '08, leaving me the Town Sedan, done, and the '31 wide bed, sitting in (now) Mom's garage, to be completed someday. I was in no hurry to do the truck resto - it would always be there- but, then Mom died in April of this year, and suddenly I have an estate to liquefy.
              I want the truck - I took it apart, for God's sake! And like my father, I want restored-original. Although I may be capable, I have plenty of life's projects myself, so wisdom tells me to let someone else do the resto. So that is happening as we speak, but it comes with unexpected hurdles - like, "wow, Mark, that bed is going to take a LOT of work; you can get the pieces for a whole new bed"...well, I don't know if I want that. If I truly want to RESTORE what I have, how is a store-bought piece a sincere restoration?
              I know...I've gotten very windy, but just had to share after reading Dan's post. Comments welcome, and I'll probably be posting more of the nuances and idiosyncrasies eventually!

Mark Kormelink

Comment

Welcome to the VFF, Mark! Encouragement and knowledge are here in abundance. Share your concerns as you have done above. And, by all means, bring your problems. Welcome!

Comment

Dads31Widebed
                  Mark, Welcome to the VFF!
                  Very glad you shared your story.
                  Sorry for the loss of your parents. Your Dad's truck certainly must hold a lot of sentimental value.
                  I am certain you will do him proud.

Please keep posting about all the nuances and idiosyncrasies as they appear. We're here to share our experiences.

Jeff

Comment

Hey Mark Dads31Widebed Welcome! I, too, am sorry for your loss. There are many heirloom projects going down right now on this VFF. Every one of these has a special story, which requires us as inheritors to go about these resurrections in a certain way. It seems we are compelled to bring these vehicles back the way that our Dads, Grandfathers, uncles, etc would have wanted it to happen. For me I just need to get dads car back to a daily driver looking like it was, but with a restored and safe driveline. Keep us posted on your adventure by starting your own thread and then adding to it. It's been a bit but I'm planning to get rolling this winter on dads Tudor.
                    They are watching us
                    https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...w-project-soon
                    3 ~ Tudor's
                    Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Hey Dads31Widebed , WELCOME to the VFF!!
                      You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Wow! Never would have expected the responses so quick and sincere! I feel like I've been away from the fam, or something. Thanks very much for the welcoming, all of you! Don't know how I'll ever know if/when someone posts to my thread, ala fb notifications, since I don't LIVE on here, and only Christmas vaca allowed me time to visit here! Guess I'll have to check back once a week...
                        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Dads31Widebed View Post
                          Guess I'll have to check back once a week...
                          Mark, I'm thinking you will be checking in here more often than once a week once you get to know us and the wealth of information that is available here.
                          You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Mark, it is addictive. You cannot help yourself. I have a quick look every time that I walk past the I-pad. Look at the time. I just got up for a pit stop and had to check in. Bet you will to. Lol. Jim.

Comment

Don't know how I'll ever know if/when someone posts to my thread
                              Mark email notifications can be set up in your user profile.
                              3 ~ Tudor's
                              Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Wow! Never would have expected the responses so quick and sincere! I feel like I've been away from the fam, or something. Thanks very much for the welcoming, all of you! Don't know how I'll ever know if/when someone posts to my thread, ala fb notifications, since I don't LIVE on here, and only Christmas vaca allowed me time to visit here! Guess I'll have to check back once a week...
                                Mark
                                Mark, We want you to know how sincere we are here at the VFF.
                                There is no
                                There are no Egos
                                There is some funny banter back and forth among us, that have gotten to know each other through the VFF.
                                There are no mind games
                                We are here to help you, and each other, through all questions asked.
                                I have learned so much from this group it is hard for me to show how Thankful I am, for the support here.

Now, “your job” here, is to “join in”
                                Pull up a chair and share your experiences and frustrations. We don't judge here.
                                You are now part of this “family”.

Welcome to the family.....now we request family photos.
                                We love pictures of our cars.
                                Jeff

Comment

Thanks again to all you welcomers! Mitch, I think I set my e-mail notification option up properly. And Dizzy, Jeff, and Jim - I don't know how I could expect to finish the resto if I'm on the Forum all the time! But I'll try.

Comment

Thanks again to all you welcomers! Mitch, I think I set my e-mail notification option up properly. And Dizzy, Jeff, and Jim - I don't know how I could expect to finish the resto if I'm on the Forum all the time! But I'll try.
                                    It’s easy, turn a screw,, make a post and so on
                                    3 ~ Tudor's
                                    Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Dads31 welcome to VFF, you are blessed with a project that will bring many more memories and the ones with your father. I have my grandfather’s 30 town sedan, lots of memories past and present.

Comment

widgetinstance 451 (<center>Related Topics</center>) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                      Working...
                                      X