clutch / PP / throwout noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch / PP / throwout noise

A friend of mine (really) sent me this short video of an issue he's having with his 1931 Model A sedan. V8 type pressure plate. I don't know what kind of clutch disc he has. Mitch has the video and says he'll post it here for me. What's going on with this car?

3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• DaWizard
      DaWizard commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, if you slow it down, you can tell that it is not a throw-out bearing noise because the bearing is running a long time before the noise is heard. What I would do is warm up the car a bit, just so it is not stone cold, pull the starter and hand crank start it and listen again with the starter out. What it sounds like to me is the ring gear or the flywheel is rubbing on the starter bolt. But that can be determined by setting up a mag base and dial indicator against the flywheel/ring gear and checking for run out.

Slow it down to .5 and listen, you can barely hear the rubbing before the pedal is depressed, at least the engine noise is parallel to the sound when depressed.
      Last edited by DaWizard; 08-09-2017, 10:22 PM.

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with Wiz's assessment about the ring gear walking off and or starter bolts. Another thing he might check is the crankshaft end play, pushing the clutch in can move the flywheel / ring gear closer to the starter bolts. This noise should be relatively easy to find with a little investigation and removal of parts. Take a good look at the V-8 pressure plate fingers, i have had the pivot pins walk out as on certain brands they were held in by tiny snap rings a poor design.

Bruce is this a brand new install? was anything changed or worked on? a little back history may help
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
      Bruce is this a brand new install? was anything changed or worked on? a little back history may help
      This engine with clutch, flywheel, PP and clutch disk has been in the car for about 8 years. Never a problem like this. Nothing has been changed since the install of a rebuilt engine etc. 8 years ago. I will see the owner today but not the car.

Comment

Bruce any update on the noise?
        3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

No update yet. Took the starter off and the noise persists. It's not a starter bolt hitting the flywheel/ring gear.

Comment

So the problem has been solved. The ring gear had worked it's way forward on the flywheel. A few solid taps with a good sized hammer fixed the issue and got the ring gear back where it belongs. The car had a 6 volt starter and a 12 volt system. Starter was changed to a 12 volt unit some time ago.

Comment

• Mitch
              Mitch commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Bruce

Hey glad it is fixed, and thanks for the update!

Comment

Had a similar noise with V8 clutch/pp on new build; it turned out to be one of the 3 fingers was out of adjustment as well as the 1" freeplay wasn't to spec causing the throwout bearing to chirp. Thanks Bruce for posting this, something to watch out for.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• BudP
                Transmission Noise Guidance
                by BudP
                TRANSMISSION NOISE
                FORD MODEL A

Symptom: Noise from transmission, effected by clutch pedal movement.

Clutch Throw Out Bearing Noise: high-pitched rubbing noise with only slight
                pressure on clutch.

Pilot Bearing Noise: high-pitched noise when clutch is fully depressed.

Noise When Clutch Pedal Depressed:
                -throw out bearing,...
                02-11-2018, 08:38 AM
              • BudP
                Transmission Information & Noise Guidance
                by BudP
                Original thread link

TRANSMISSION NOISE

FORD MODEL A

Symptom: Noise from transmission, effected by clutch pedal movement.

Clutch Throw Out Bearing Noise: high-pitched rubbing noise with only slight
                pressure on clutch.

Pilot Bearing Noise: high-pitched noise when clutch is fully depressed.

Noise When Clutch...
                02-11-2018, 11:34 AM
              • BudP
                Throwout Bearing/Pilot Bearing Issue Diagnosis
                by BudP
                Over the years I have had two throwout bearings go on me, one with bad consequences because I tried to drive home rather than call AAA. This Saturday I will be helping an acquaintance diagnosis what he believes is a transmission noise that is getting worse. Below is a diagnostic/remedy process I now follow. Feel free to criticize, amend, etc.:

TRANSMISSION NOISE
                FORD MODEL A...
                02-07-2018, 06:56 PM
              • 40B1930
                Clutch Chatter Diagnosis
                by 40B1930
                After 60 miles of shake-down drives, I am hearing clutch disc chatter with the trans. in nuetral. When I press the clutch pedal in to the point where the slack is taken up the chatter stops. After driving the car for a few miles the chatter is gone (maybe the grease on the new throw-our bearing thins after warming)?
                1. All parts are new
                2. Clutch disc was centered
                3. Pressure plate...
                08-26-2018, 06:08 PM
              • 2manycars
                Multi Plate Clutch Info!
                by 2manycars
                The inside of the flywheel is the most critical part. If the internal splines are worn to where they have divots from the teeth on the clutch pack rattleing, the clutch will not release well. Also, that flywheel looks from the photo to be the early flywheel with out the releaf for the starter drive, so an early starter would be necessary. The transmission gears look good, so that is a plus, and the...
                03-01-2018, 06:23 AM
              • Steve Plucker
                Converting MD Clutch to a SD Clutch system...
                by Steve Plucker
                Has anyone ever converted a Multi-Disc Clutch system to a Single Disc Clutch system on a 1928 Model A/AA Ford YET maintain that 1928 look on the outside of the chassis???

If so, just what is the procedure to do so?

Could it be wrote up to include in this fourm???

Thanks.

Pluck
                11-10-2018, 10:35 AM
              • Roadster Rich
                Stuck Clutch
                by Roadster Rich
                My car is now in Venice Florida since last summer. I last drove it in September and had a pretty bad leaking water pump. So I repaired that and just went to go for a ride. Started up like a champ, but the clutch is stuck and pushing in the pedal does nothing. I am right on the gulf and in a garage that is not dehumidified so I suspect it is corrosion causing this.

I seem to have heard...
                02-19-2018, 03:37 PM
              • pAAt
                early 28 multi disc clutch package
                by pAAt
                I have the chance to buy this setup and it would have been originally in my truck. Question is, would this be as reliable of a clutch as the newer single disc ? Thanks, Pat...
                02-28-2018, 09:37 PM
              • Paul K.
                Clutch Disc F150 3spd w/OD
                by Paul K.
                I need a Clutch Disc for the F150 Transmission Input Shaft. Need 9"dia, 10 teeth spline and 1 1/6" shaft to install with a Model A Clutch and Throw Out Bearing on Model A Flywheel.
                The hole for the Torsion Spring hub on the Model A Pressure Plate is 5" dia.
                Folks say use 86 TBird 2.3L 4cyl Turbo, but that hub is about 5 3/4" dia. Have learned that are using the...
                03-14-2018, 03:57 PM
              • canadian
                clutch adjustment.
                by canadian
                I have a 29 , all stock but 12 volt conversion. have just completed a 500 kilometre road test, back a year or so ago while assembling this project when it came to clutch I replaced disc and bearing . I made a finger adjustment tool as per Toms specs. everything operates smooth , no slippage . My issue is , seems like clutch pedal is off floor almost 1/2 to 3/4 of its travel to engage . by depressing...
                06-21-2018, 06:44 PM
              Working...
              X