Pinion bearing lock nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinion bearing lock nuts

When I was working in a restoration workshop a while ago, I made a spanner to do up the pinion lock nut. I left it there when I retired (again). I can't remember what the distance is across the flats on such a spanner. I now need to make a couple more. Can anybody tell me what it is please? (1 1/4" comes to mind but I'm not going to make them to that only to find out my memory failed me AGAIN)

1-1/16th
    http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...r-Apr-2003.pdf
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Greynomad
      Greynomad commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Mitch. That's 27mm. Not a standard size for steel but I have the tools to put a couple together in not much time. As you well know, 2 open ended spanners are needed to lock it up.
      Looking at Tom Endy's article you posted reminds me. Yesterday, I saw a guy dismantling a Model A diff and the spider gear carrier had 4 "arms" on it, not 3. Is that a later model? Is it any better/stronger?

Originally posted by Greynomad View Post
    Thanks, Mitch. That's 27mm. Not a standard size for steel but I have the tools to put a couple together in not much time. As you well know, 2 open ended spanners are needed to lock it up.
    Looking at Tom Endy's article you posted reminds me. Yesterday, I saw a guy dismantling a Model A diff and the spider gear carrier had 4 "arms" on it, not 3. Is that a later model? Is it any better/stronger?
    I wonder if that was a truck unit with 4 arms on it? I haven't worked on the AA differential, but I think they had 4 spider gears.

BTW, look in "Homemade Tools" on this site, and you will see the 2 open wrenches I made to work with.

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks Tom i was not sure either

Related Topics

Collapse

• Ed Saniewski
    Pinion preload
    by Ed Saniewski
    I am helping a friend rebuild the rear axle on his 1930 Sport coupe. He had installed a 4 speed O.D. transmission 2 years ago and at that time changed the rear to a 4:11 rear. He is not happy with the top end speed and so we are putting the old 3:71 ring and pinion back in. I am at the point of reinstalling the pinion into the banjo and have pressed the inside Timkin bearing onto the pinion shaft....
    01-26-2020, 05:37 AM
  • 1930murray
    Speedometer gear housing lock nuts
    by 1930murray
    I cleaned up the mounting hardware for the speedometer gear housing today and came across two different styles of lock washers. One has serrations on the flat and the other has serrations on the edge. Both hex head screws and the lock washers are the same size and shape. What is the correct lock washer style? This is part number A-22150....
    03-24-2019, 07:11 PM
  • carolinamudwalker
    Wheels
    by carolinamudwalker
    At Branson I saw these machined lug nut washers. They fit the lug nut precisely and will not pull in cocked as the stamped SS washers do. They are made of aluminum. I tap them onto the lug nuts and then thread them as a pair finger tight all the way around while turning the wheel. They will not crack like the stamped washers and I feel that they help keep the wheel centered on the drum. I passed them...
    08-15-2018, 01:38 PM
  • Terry, NJ
    Differential Stuff
    by Terry, NJ
    Finally came to a decision about rear gears! I'm gonna buy a set of 3.54s and the bearings (OUCH!) at $38 @ ($160) cups, $25 ($50) 2 sided cup, $51 gears, $465 assorted little stuff $25. And then drive myself nuts assembling this collection of stuff. Inch Lbs are not a problem. Figuring out what gets torqued 20 In lbs is. If it's those two big nuts on the pinion, it may be! Is that the preload...
    01-22-2018, 08:54 AM
  • DaWizard
    Lock Nuts
    by DaWizard
    I have been sitting here pondering the need for castellated nuts and cotter pins.

I understand Henry was thinking, "damn thing needs a bolt and nut, but does it need a split washer or cotter pin?"

I hear him saying that the cotter pin was cheaper than a split washer. There is no doubt in my mind he went with the cheapest of the options.

Now, today with
    06-01-2017, 02:23 PM
  • STEBS
    Specialty tools...
    by STEBS
    So with working on these early models, like any other car/truck I work on daily, I find myself needing specialty tools that I end up investing in to have and use.

I've already been shopping around for a banjo hub puller, although I have ideas on modifying an extra pitman arm puller I have. But I've been looking into spring spreaders, which got me to thinking...

In doing the...
    02-04-2020, 09:22 PM
  • Grover
    Before torque wrenches were standard.
    by Grover
    A friend called and said he had found some old tools for me.

The big one is a "5-Z-1901 45/64 Comb L and T wrench for cyl. head nuts" from the '31 Parts Price List. I have never seen one and have been doing this for almost 60 years. Obviously when the dealer installed a head, just good and tight is good enough. If it leaked a little water, tighten it up a little...
    07-26-2018, 04:43 PM
  • carolinamudwalker
    Want to clear the record
    by carolinamudwalker
    There are no 8 slot front axel nuts. Called Bert's & they don't know where that photo came from in their catalog. "maybe as much as 30 years old" But guess what, the front spindle bearing shims are a perfect size. The other choice would be to grind down the back of the castle nut. Trying to snug up without binding.
    08-02-2018, 07:57 AM
  • Terry, NJ
    A new problem or Rear end 3
    by Terry, NJ
    OK as some may recall, I bought a new R and P (3.54). I'm just now getting around to assembling it. This was NOT a Mark Gear product! It was made overseas, in Italy! OK OK I know all the jokes (Fix It Again Tony) But I've seen some pretty good stuff made in Italy, too! So before returning it, I wanted to give it at least a try. Here's the problem, I was trying to set the backlash of the teeth and...
    06-07-2020, 12:11 PM
  • jordanka16
    Spare Engine
    by jordanka16
    I have a spare engine for my car that I think is good. This winter I plan to tear it down and see. I want to measure and make note of every part so I know what is good, how good it is, and what is bad and needs replaced. I haven't looked yet but I'm sure I can find all the specs and tolerances of the various parts, I might already have that in one of my books somewhere.

What I want to...
    10-02-2019, 02:04 AM
Working...
X