• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOT PROBLEMS? NEED ADVICE?

DON'T be hesitant to just ASK!!
    Bill W.

okay i need advice

I am replacing the zinc strips on my late 30 running boards. i removed the old zinc strips and have the new one started on the top side. now the bottom of it needs to wrap around underneath and tuck up. i have it started by using a plastic mallet but i am hesitant to try and clamp anything onto it so as not to dent or mar the outside surface. i am also doing this with the boards installed on the car. any ideas on wrapping it around to get a nice clean finish?
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      There's a first Mitch asking us how to do things. Mitch i would get some wax paper and put it along the top edge of the running board maybe a little film of grease or light oil on the paper and start the trim at the bottom of the board and then pull the wax paper out from under the top edge seems like i have tried this before on something else but not on my model a that should keep from skinning things up.

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks chief for the suggestion
      The trim needs to start at the top and then tuck to the bottom. There is a lip that protrudes up at the top so there would be no way to snap it over that.

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      it will work at the bottom as well Mitch i went out to the shop and looked at it after i posted but the principle is the same your ruler should keep from marring things a piece of masking tape on the face of the trim will prevent blemishes.

How about cutting a notch in a piece of 2x4 say a foot long and using that to roll the edge back under?
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      i have it rolled under as they do come prebent. now it has to tuck up on the backside, the metal is decently stiff
      maybe i'll take a pic tonight

"MAYBE" a small wallpaper seam roller????
    Dad

Comment

Hmmm, maybe my description wasn't clear enough.

Let's say you take a table saw and run a foot long piece of 2x4 along the blade about an inch in from the side edge, and make it as wide and a bit deeper than the finished desired size. Now, taking this block of somewhat finished wood, you lay the cut upon the edge and use the hammer to roll the edge up under the board. See, I'm thinking that the cut in the wood would fit the edge without damage, and if you angled it you wouldn't make marks on the surface, but be able to slide it along finishing the edge.

Now, If I am not understanding what you need, maybe it won't work, but I think it will.
      You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

I would look for a piece of 1/2" thick teflon. Would have to experiement on how best to use it. Rod
        Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

So i found this hard plastic yard stick that i cut a 6" piece off. Tomorrow I'm going to try and squeeze the two pieces with a couple C clamps. This wont mar the zinc and i think it will clamp the bottom inside lip nicely..
          will report back when i try it
          3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

So here is what i rigged to work for me:
            after tapping the bottom with a plastic mallet i took my snap on brake piston caliper tool ( proff techs don't use a C-clamp ) and used a level i had laying around to act as a spacer. Pumped up the brake tool and walla a nice smooth finish. I had everything protected with tape, the pics are a reenactment after the job was done! The next side will be a piece of cake
            Thanks for all of the suggestions

3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Mitch,

Nice job as always.
              Mike
              Michael
              1928 speedster
              1929 closed cab p/u