Announcement

Collapse

Model A Forums

General Discussion
See more
See less

Converting MD Clutch to a SD Clutch system...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting MD Clutch to a SD Clutch system...

Has anyone ever converted a Multi-Disc Clutch system to a Single Disc Clutch system on a 1928 Model A/AA Ford YET maintain that 1928 look on the outside of the chassis???

If so, just what is the procedure to do so?

Could it be wrote up to include in this fourm???

Thanks.

Pluck

I assume you mean the tranny case and 3/4" shaft for the clutch and brake pedals. Normally everything from the flywheel to the U-joint is the way to go, as was done on my 28 Phaeton. I've purchased all the correct 1928 multiplate parts to put it back correctly. If it is possible to just swap the flywheel and clutch parts, I can't see it being done without some modifying and machine work.

Comment

I think your going to need a flywheel and of course your clutch and correct tranny imput shaft , throw out bearing pilot bearing and clutch release fork

Comment

Use a lightened flywheel and V8 clutch. Beleive you have to machine the bellhousing to fit the later bearing retainer for the throwout bearing. Rod
        At some point in time standardization was a creative idea.

Comment

On mine the transmission was not drilled and tapped for the front bearing retainer. Easy way is to change flywheel housing, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, transmission. And clutch and brake pedals.

Comment

Steve
            Have done a few over the years and ironically there is a parts list required in the ford Model A service bulletins .

I don’t have them handy at the moment but you should easily find it.

Larry Shepard

Comment

I think he wants to retain the early bell housing.

Comment

I don't believe tha'ts possible with the changeover. It's been a while since I compared housings but I think there's some physical issues which is why the later housing must be used. Ford wouldn't have specified it in if it wasn't necessary. Just change it and be done.
                It's not that big a deal.

Comment

Sorry if a little off topic but are there parts and instructions to rebuild multiple disc clutch anywhere?

Comment

treuland WELCOME to the VFF!!
                    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Originally posted by treuland View Post
                      Sorry if a little off topic but are there parts and instructions to rebuild multiple disc clutch anywhere?
                      Welcome to the VFF

Here is a technical thread on the subject.

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...832#post178832
                      3 ~ Tudor's
                      Henry Ford said
                      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

The big question is WHY?????

The multi disk was a better smoother clutch.
                        It problem was related to everyday use and not being in oil like the Lincoln. The dust built up and it stopped working. Something a restored car is not likely to see.
                        If I had an early car I would go out of my way to use one.

Comment

Originally posted by treuland View Post
                          I used this one extensively when rebuilding my July of '28 transmission a couple weeks ago...

http://jmodela.coffeecup.com/xmissionrebuild.html

And the clutch
                          http://jmodela.coffeecup.com/clutch.html
                          Last edited by WTSHNN; 07-11-2019, 10:38 AM.

Comment

I have multi-disc clutches on both my early Model A's and I love them. I am told replacement discs are almost impossible to find. Anyone know if they are available?

Comment

I have some ....

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Hillyard View Post
                                I have multi-disc clutches on both my early Model A's and I love them. I am told replacement discs are almost impossible to find. Anyone know if they are available?
                                Repro? No.

But NOS ones aren't all that difficult to locate.

-Tim

Comment

Thanks Tim, I don't need any at the moment but it is good to know. - Tony

Comment

Treuland, if you want to learn about how to rebuild a multi-disc clutch unit, attend the MARC National Meet in Dearborn in August. Bob Martino will be giving a seminar on all aspects of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
                                      The big question is WHY?????

The multi disk was a better smoother clutch.
                                      It problem was related to everyday use and not being in oil like the Lincoln. The dust built up and it stopped working. Something a restored car is not likely to see.
                                      If I had an early car I would go out of my way to use one.
                                      I agree with Kevin, and have NOS and as good as NOS parts to restore my 28 Phaeton to multidisc clutch.
                                      When I get time to swap the motor, then I'll also install the multiplate clutch and tranny.

Comment