Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking carb

Hello all
    i am getting fuel leaking from where choke rod goes in. Shouldn't my shut off prevent this?

Welcome 2020 to the VFF!
    The choke rod turns the GAV (gas adjusting valve) which richens or leans out the fuel mixture by turning it. The GAV is a tapered pipe thread into the carb housing. If its leaking from those threads inspect the casting for a crack from it being over tightened. Make sure the leak is not running down or out from another area.
    And no the shutoff does not always stop a carb from leaking, there is fuel in the line. Along with that a shutoff can stall an engine when turned off, but still leak fuel by the valve
    2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe the GAV is loose?

Welcome to the VFF!

Comment

Hey 2020, WELCOME to the VFF!!

What Mitch said. That is a pipe thread, you can gently tighten it. That is providing it is a Zenith carburetor, if it is anything else, use special care since the other carburetors are made of pot metal and break very easily.
      "We do not stop playing because we grow old;
      We grow old because we stop playing ...
      NEVER Be The First To Get Old!" Pilfered from the MAFC SA Newsletter

I JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID!!

Comment

Does this leak continue, or is it just wet after running? If it continues, then I'd polish the tank valve and carb valve (needle and seat) with tooth paste. When I first bought my 29 Tudor I lost a full tank of gas over the winter. After I polished those two valves it holds tight and doesn't loose a drop of gas.

Comment

• tbirdtbird
          tbirdtbird commented
          Editing a comment
          toothpaste being a very fine mild abrasive....

Personally, I use the toothpaste with baking soda in it, that just gives it a wee bit more grit.
        "We do not stop playing because we grow old;
        We grow old because we stop playing ...
        NEVER Be The First To Get Old!" Pilfered from the MAFC SA Newsletter

I JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID!!

Comment

Welcome!!

Comment