replacing glass in a windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing glass in a windshield

I believe I have found a windshield frame that is in pretty good condition. I say " believe " because I have yet to pull it apart. The glass is cracked and needs to be replaced. This leads me to some questions. First, is there a good source for the glass. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and hate to have to pay to much shipping. Other questions pertain to difficulty of removing the old glass and installation of the new. What do I need to be careful with and whatever other helpful tips are out there. This will be an after Christmas project as our local holiday (deer season) is taking precedents. I am spraying the fasteners with kroil already to hopefully make that part easier.

Take the the existing cracked glass to your local glass shop, and have one cut out of 1/4" laminate using that template. A little warmth and and an impact driver may aide in removing the old frame screws. Def an impact driver
    Tap the frame apart with a rubber hubcap mallet and a piece of wood. Clean out the old frame channels and then get new setting tape. I sell the original style cork and rubber tape (see the classifieds or ebay) or just buy the poor fitting junk the suppliers sell. Buy a new screw kit from your favorite supplier

Here is a link to some videos on glass installation, a VFF exclusive

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...094#post106094
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Flip the glass end for end on a paper template to make sure your glass is square. I used my old glass, and found out it was not. I made a template from an orginal that jw hash had and fortunately the glass cutter remade it for free.

Comment

I went to our local glass company and had him cut a piece of safety glass for my roadster. Since I had just the frame and not glass for a template, the fit I had to work with made the job a pain. It’s the exact same concept of having a nice straight frame for your restoration = things generally fit better. Good luck and ask questions, I wish I had known about Mitch prior to the wrong black gunk I used. I made it work, but what a nightmare.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• richsfords
          correct windshield s/w
          by richsfords
          The pervious owner put a new glass windshield in his car and wanting to save bucks, install a regular 7/32 plate glass.
          I removed the w/s frame to get it powder coated, Could not see a offset double image in the glass. SUPRISE
          What is the correct thickness for tempered laminated glass as per Henry's specs. Also to fit with new glazing.

I had no idea that it was not the correct...
          08-31-2018, 05:11 PM
        • JohnB15632
          Glass installed in Windshield
          by JohnB15632
          Here is my question of the week.

How is the glass installed in the windshield? Does the glass bedding go all around the glass as it is installed?
          Or is the glass bedding mitered is the corners?

Thanks,
          05-20-2019, 05:16 PM
        • wrndln
          Installing glass in windshield
          by wrndln
          I bought some setting material from Mitch several months ago. I will be installing the glass in the frame for my 29 phaeton soon. I am wondering if I should use any liquid, like something slick, to help the setting material/glass go into the frame. Maybe the glass/setting material will go into the frame OK with nothing, but I am not sure. I have never installed windshield glass in an open car...
          08-05-2018, 06:23 PM
        • George Miller
          Glass for a 1923 high radiator coupe
          by George Miller
          I need to replace all the glass in my coupe with safety glass. Does any one sell glass for the T?
          02-23-2019, 07:22 PM
        • Mitch
          Glass Cleaner
          by Mitch
          Most of you know that I show my cars, so perfectly clear glass is so very important. This has been something that I battled forever, trying just about every product on the market. Invisible glass was the last thing I have been using until I received a small sample of this stuff. I was amazed no haze just crystal clear glass. I have since bought a larger bottle and I am now in clean glass heaven. ...
          06-23-2019, 02:54 PM
        • ronnaab
          Glass Etching
          by ronnaab
          31 Victoria Mfg. January 31: All 5 windows plus windshield have safety glass installed. For fine point judging do I need the Trademark on all 6 windows or just the windshield
          03-14-2018, 01:26 PM
        • Beauford
          Windsheild Survey
          by Beauford
          I got a nice new windshield frame and glass installed and it needs to be painted black. Should I mask off and paint or break the seal and pull out the glass? I know the easy route I want to take.....
          08-10-2017, 05:14 PM
        • old31
          Need a 31 Deluxe Roadster windshield.
          by old31
          Who make the best 31 Deluxe Roadster windshields?

Would you go to the typical suppliers or go to a local glass shop?
          08-27-2018, 09:16 PM
        • Paragon
          Windshield weatherstrip installation
          by Paragon
          Windshield glass, weather seal around glass and frame all went together well. Have installed bottom weatherstrip and let it rest overnight to "adjust" for any stretching. What's the trick to installing the two side weatherstripping around the windshield square nuts that are in the channel? Do you guys cut a notch in the bead to go around the nut? Is there enough stretch to get the bead...
          12-24-2018, 08:35 AM
        • greenhornet
          gas gauge magnifying glass?
          by greenhornet
          Well I needed a better gas gauge and I got a couple nice ones but of the three or four I have had one is different from the rest. The one has instead of the flat glass a convex glass that magnifies the graduations,pretty neat.Was this just on a certain year or just because it was a different supplier ? Thank You.
          03-02-2019, 04:02 PM
        Working...
        X