Gas tank welt - 29 Tudor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tank welt - 29 Tudor

When installing the welt around the gas tank, should I use any adhesive or sealer, or is the pressure provided by all the small bolts around the tank and cowl enough to keep the rain out?

I never used sealer, and think it might cause problems if you need to remove or paint the tank.

Comment

Same here that would make a mess. These cars were water resistant not waterproof
      2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I agree with Tom and Mitch...If you make your "cuts" right...the Anti-squeak material should slip into the area just fine...Just make sure you are pulling the the strip as close to the mating surface as possible.

Pluck

Comment

make your cuts, do not cut all the way to the bead. Staple on some pull strips of cloth that hang inside, remove them later.
          It really is a two-man job, if possible. I have done them myself, but it is a bear

I have a touring and take water in a few places, mostly at the windshield corners, in heavy rain, but never had any come in at the tank
          Last edited by tbirdtbird; 11-06-2018, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Like Dave said!!!
            The Les Andrews red book shows this pretty clearly. ((cutting and stapling strips))

Thanks, all! A great place to get the details from those who know!

Comment

If there are any gaps in a car that need to be filled to keep out dirt, water, or exhaust fumes, then GB makes a gray putty like dum-dum, which is good for filling spaces. I just bought some to fill holes in the A post on my 1999 Olds, where water had been leaking in for the past 12 years. I found it in the electrical section of Menards lumber yard. GB stands for Gardner Bender.

Comment

• jordanka16
              jordanka16 commented
              Editing a comment
              I need some of that, I have a couple light leaks in my car.

• BNCHIEF
              BNCHIEF commented
              Editing a comment
              Stands for great bend where I live, just kidding Tom.

yep, electricians use the stuff all the time where the service cable enters your meter trough
            https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-...-110/100212441

Comment