Gas tank welt - 29 Tudor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tank welt - 29 Tudor

When installing the welt around the gas tank, should I use any adhesive or sealer, or is the pressure provided by all the small bolts around the tank and cowl enough to keep the rain out?

I never used sealer, and think it might cause problems if you need to remove or paint the tank.

Comment

Same here that would make a mess. These cars were water resistant not waterproof
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I agree with Tom and Mitch...If you make your "cuts" right...the Anti-squeak material should slip into the area just fine...Just make sure you are pulling the the strip as close to the mating surface as possible.

Pluck

Comment

make your cuts, do not cut all the way to the bead. Staple on some pull strips of cloth that hang inside, remove them later.
          It really is a two-man job, if possible. I have done them myself, but it is a bear

I have a touring and take water in a few places, mostly at the windshield corners, in heavy rain, but never had any come in at the tank
          Last edited by tbirdtbird; 11-06-2018, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Like Dave said!!!
            The Les Andrews red book shows this pretty clearly. ((cutting and stapling strips))

Thanks, all! A great place to get the details from those who know!

Comment

If there are any gaps in a car that need to be filled to keep out dirt, water, or exhaust fumes, then GB makes a gray putty like dum-dum, which is good for filling spaces. I just bought some to fill holes in the A post on my 1999 Olds, where water had been leaking in for the past 12 years. I found it in the electrical section of Menards lumber yard. GB stands for Gardner Bender.

Comment

• jordanka16
              jordanka16 commented
              Editing a comment
              I need some of that, I have a couple light leaks in my car.

• BNCHIEF
              BNCHIEF commented
              Editing a comment
              Stands for great bend where I live, just kidding Tom.

yep, electricians use the stuff all the time where the service cable enters your meter trough
            https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-...-110/100212441

Comment

For my '30 coupe, I just purchased some new cowl welting w/the 1/8" bead and have loose fit it around the tank after making the cuts around the corners. Good suggestion...thank you. Do any of you have the problem with the bead of the welt not laying flat, even after bolting the mating surfaces together but not in the car. My bead seems to have a "set" from being rolled up so long and it doesn't lay flat between the two surfaces. I may try warming it a bit before installing but it could return back to its original shape. Any thoughts would be appreciated -

Comment

I always use the tank welting from Roy N.. (fordbolts.com) It’s the most authentic available and lays in nicely. It’s more like a material compared to a vinyl or plastic look
                3 ~ Tudor's
                Henry Ford said
                "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Supergnat
                  28 Fordor Leatherback gas tank installation problem
                  by Supergnat
                  I am attempting to install a replacement gas tnk in my Oct 28 Fordor Leatherback. I have the tank bolted to the cowl but am unable to fit the firewall piece that holds the sediment bulb and terminal box in place. The opening is about 1/4 inch too small. Does anyone have a suggestion to resolve this problem. I This panel was difficult to remove when I was trying to get the old tank out. I'm afrais...
                  05-25-2017, 01:52 PM
                • wrndln
                  Checking 28/29 gas tank for leakage
                  by wrndln
                  I have what looks like a nice gas tank I plan to use on my 29 CCPU. I bought it at a swap meet, so I have no idea of its history. It is a rare tank that doesn't need the radiator bracket areas repaired on the firewall of the tank - I have 6 or 7 gas tanks and all need the bracket area repaired, some more than others. Some 28/29 gas tanks have seepage around the steering wheel bracket on the tank...
                  07-27-2019, 12:25 PM
                • CSPIDY
                  Gas Tank Rust Removal
                  by CSPIDY
                  Finally got around to addressing the rust in the gas tank of my 28 Tudor.
                  the plan is to remove it, fill it with 10 gallons of Evaporust, clean with Por-15 cleaner degreaser, then prep with the Por-15 metal prep, followed with Por-15 paint coating.
                  what are your thoughts? I have heard good reports on the Por-15 paint but have some reservations using an internal coating.
                  any advise...
                  01-18-2019, 01:52 PM
                • BillLee/Chandler, TX
                  After you get it clean .....
                  by BillLee/Chandler, TX
                  I am getting ready to replace a leaking gas tank in my Tudor, I have a very good one coming from Berts, but ..... I'm not totally sure what I should do now.

I have read Brent's thread over on the old barn regarding getting a tank clean, by cutting apart and then re-welding. But what do you do AFTER you get it clean? What do you do to keep it from turning back into a rusty tank?
                  02-04-2018, 12:54 PM
                • Supergnat
                  Fordor gas tank felt sealer
                  by Supergnat
                  I am ready to install a replacement gas tank on my 28 Fordor Leatherback. The original 6" X 6" felt was salvagable after removing the hardened tar-like sealer arounf the hole for the tank filler spout. What sealer should I use on the felt before I install the tank?
                  Thanks, Supergnat
                  05-22-2017, 12:46 PM
                • P. Crosby
                  Gas Tank Face Finish
                  by P. Crosby
                  On a 31 Standard Tudor is the face of the gas tank, the inside visible portion, glossy or satiny?
                  04-09-2018, 09:41 PM
                • Corley
                  Gas tank sealer
                  by Corley
                  When I built the 29 pickup, I used some Red Sealer on the gas tank. It came in a quart can, and when I dumped out the excess, I had almost a full quart left over. So, I saved it. Saw that can a few months back, shook it, and it was still liquid. So, I planned to use it on the new tank that I just welded a new filler spout in, just I case I had any pin hole leaks. It is a VW van tank, long and...
                  12-09-2018, 09:56 PM
                • JohnB15632
                  Filler trip above gas tank
                  by JohnB15632
                  What is the correct color for the filler strip that runs across on top of the gas tank?

Is it the body color (Maroon in my case), or is it painted black? ...
                  04-24-2019, 07:46 PM
                • Beauford
                  Gas tank blues...
                  by Beauford
                  So when I received a gas tank I purchased I really didn't give it a good once over since the deal was done and guy said it had no dents and was a really nice tank. Got it back from sand blaster....what a waste of money. Huge whammy in the top corner. Nasty welds on upper corners of dash. Looks like fuel valve was snapped or cut off so there is a mess there....nobody will work on a tank correct due...
                  07-18-2017, 06:44 PM
                • Paragon
                  Gas tank install - 30 Coupe
                  by Paragon
                  The body work on my 30 coupe was performed, refitted and then all parts were painted separately. It's been a long time since I disassembled the car and now have to reassemble freshly painted parts. My next step is to install the gas tank and I have some questions:

1. In the Les Andrews handbook, it states to remove the gas tank from under the dash rail support. Does that mean for reinstallation,...
                  12-09-2018, 11:42 AM
                Working...
                X