Quick, Easy, and Cheap Car Cover

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick, Easy, and Cheap Car Cover

I bought some $55 car covers for my Model A's and Studebakers, but they are shot after a year or two in the weather. This plastic cover is handy to take along for car shows and overnight trips, where you might get caught in the rain. I bought a 100' roll of 6 mil clear plastic, then cut the length needed for the car, and use magnets to hold it in place. Harbor Freight had the bar magnets on sale, 2 for $1, so I bought 20 of them. This may blow off in a strong wind, but should work well most of the time. For modern cars it will keep the ice off the doors and glass during the winter.

Car Cover Clear.JPG

Good idea Tom

Here is what I use for temp emergency situations

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...2544#post42544

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...2457#post42457
    1~1931 Tudor ~ Dad
    2~1930 Tudor's ~ Lucy & Paul

Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I'm on board! Thanks for the ideas. I have to park the challenger outside and it takes a beating over the winter.

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        These are only for a quick one time use and will rip easily. Purchase a CCC (california car cover) for the best protection

Also use quilts or moving blankets under plastic for long term storage. I found out the hard way back in 1970 what happens when you store a Studebaker with plastic tight to the body. After 6 months, I came home on leave and found a lot of paint bubbles on the roof of the car.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Ray Horton
        I need a car cover
        Ray Horton
        About 12 years ago I got a nice car cover for my peekup. It is light weight, kind of a silky material, and was made by a company called Pro-Tech. They seem to be out of business now, and I need a new...
        08-12-2017, 02:02 PM
      • Jeff/Illinois
        Cheap car cover
        Jeff/Illinois
        Just picked up a $25 car cover 'fits all' kinda deal at WalMart for the '36 Pickup. Fits good! Covers the whole vehicle. Elastic on the bottom keeps it on pretty nicely.If the truck had a high point...
        12-04-2017, 09:52 PM
      • Mike
        Car covers
        Mike
        After 30 plus years I need new car covers, my last purchase was from Beverly Hills car covers. What is the best car cover to purchase?
        Thank you,
        Mike...
        06-25-2017, 05:18 AM
      • BNCHIEF
        Storing your car for the winter
        BNCHIEF
        Good ways to store your car for the winter may be we could compile the tips for a good checklist.
        1. warm engine drain oil add fresh to remove all contaminants.
        2. clean engine block and radiator...
        10-25-2017, 09:02 AM
      • mshmodela
        Lucy in my mailbox covered in plastic
        mshmodela
        Behold! Lucy on the cover of Model A News, Congrats Mitch! Funny I knew kt was her just by the color on the cover.

Oh and you're getting your Father's car back...do you recall I said one...
        10-18-2018, 04:23 PM
      • ClaudeC
        Clear plastic seat covers are available again, just like the good old days.
        ClaudeC
        Several years ago I special ordered lower seat covers to protect my original interior mohair seats. They worked great because getting in and out is easy sliding without wearing the 85 year old fragile...
        05-03-2018, 08:41 PM
      Working...
      X