See less

Clutch matters...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charlie is QUITE understanding and he thought right off why the flange was bent, figured (as I had guessed) that the crank had probably been dropped on the flange at one time. He showed me what they would do to true up the flange, then the flywheel and then balance the whole shebang. Gave me a tour of the separate room where he does balancing. Said that we'd be within one gram when finished!

Comment

Now that's doin it right. ken

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Ayyy
        Clutch Pressure Plate: New vs. Rebuilt Original...Which Do You Recommend?
        by Ayyy
        I'll be replacing the clutch in the next few weeks. My stock pressure plate options seem to be either a brand new one, or a rebuilt unit. Which type do you prefer?

For reference, this is Bert's New Pressure Plate:
        https://parts.modelastore.com/show_Product.asp?ID=13103...
        04-09-2018, 08:22 PM
      • Rowdy
        Ford Ahead of Auburn in Design by Late 1928
        by Rowdy
        Shocking statement to make, but have the proof is pictured below. The first pics are of the 1931 to 1935 Aubrn pressure plate. Please note the notches in the ends of the clutch fingers. Second pics are of a stock Model A pressure plate used by Ford from Nov 1928 through 1934. No notches. While the Auburn pressure plate can be used in the Model A as they have the same spring pressure and surface height....
        04-09-2018, 06:39 PM
      • Tom Wesenberg
        Adjusting Pressure Plate Fingers / Clutch & Flywheel Info
        by Tom Wesenberg
        Original Thread
        https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...-plate-fingers

Anytime you install a new pressure plate or are chasing the cause of clutch chatter, you need to check to be sure all 6 pressure plate fingers are at the correct height and even with each other. I made this simple tool to make the job quick and easy. I just use a bolt and two nuts through a piece of aluminum channel,...
        01-23-2018, 11:20 AM
      • Paul K.
        Clutch Disc F150 3spd w/OD
        by Paul K.
        I need a Clutch Disc for the F150 Transmission Input Shaft. Need 9"dia, 10 teeth spline and 1 1/6" shaft to install with a Model A Clutch and Throw Out Bearing on Model A Flywheel.
        The hole for the Torsion Spring hub on the Model A Pressure Plate is 5" dia.
        Folks say use 86 TBird 2.3L 4cyl Turbo, but that hub is about 5 3/4" dia. Have learned that are using the...
        03-14-2018, 04:57 PM
      • 40B1930
        Clutch Chatter Diagnosis
        by 40B1930
        After 60 miles of shake-down drives, I am hearing clutch disc chatter with the trans. in nuetral. When I press the clutch pedal in to the point where the slack is taken up the chatter stops. After driving the car for a few miles the chatter is gone (maybe the grease on the new throw-our bearing thins after warming)?
        1. All parts are new
        2. Clutch disc was centered
        3. Pressure plate...
        08-26-2018, 07:08 PM
      • Jerry Kzoo
        Pressure Plate Adjustment Screws
        by Jerry Kzoo
        Does anyone know of a source to get the pressure plate adjustment screws? I am looking at cleaning one up and adjusting it and it looks like the screws that were staked will not be usable once they are taken apart.

Thanks, Jerry
        10-22-2017, 08:17 PM
      • Tom Wesenberg
        Adjusting Pressure Plate Fingers
        by Tom Wesenberg
        Anytime you install a new pressure plate or are chasing the cause of clutch chatter, you need to check to be sure all 6 pressure plate fingers are at the correct height and even with each other. I made this simple tool to make the job quick and easy. I just use a bolt and two nuts through a piece of aluminum channel, and lock the bolt head 11/16" from the face of the aluminum channel. If the...
        01-23-2018, 11:20 AM
      • 2manycars
        Multi Plate Clutch Info!
        by 2manycars
        The inside of the flywheel is the most critical part. If the internal splines are worn to where they have divots from the teeth on the clutch pack rattleing, the clutch will not release well. Also, that flywheel looks from the photo to be the early flywheel with out the releaf for the starter drive, so an early starter would be necessary. The transmission gears look good, so that is a plus, and the...
        03-01-2018, 07:23 AM
      • Steve Plucker
        Converting MD Clutch to a SD Clutch system...
        by Steve Plucker
        Has anyone ever converted a Multi-Disc Clutch system to a Single Disc Clutch system on a 1928 Model A/AA Ford YET maintain that 1928 look on the outside of the chassis???

If so, just what is the procedure to do so?

Could it be wrote up to include in this fourm???

Thanks.

Pluck
        11-10-2018, 11:35 AM
      • Captndan
        Flywheel
        by Captndan
        What was the reason to build flywheels so heavy? Common to shave pounds off when doing an overhaul. I'm working on another car with a smaller engine than an A and the flywheel weighs close to #50. There must have been an engineering reason.
        08-28-2017, 08:39 AM
      Working...
      X