Model A LED Headlights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model A LED Headlights

Ok, first off I would like to explain that you will need to purchase the reflectors with the mounting for the Halogen bulb, the 3 ear mount and this LED light set.
    http://www.jdmastar.com/product/318/...-Set-of-2.html

Now, in the following pictures I will make a comment under each one to try to explain what is needed and what was done.

Please read the comments on the pictures, and I will answer all questions. There will need to be a few fitments done to align the bulb and focus correctly.

Hmm,, just noticed something on the 11th picture. In this picture I am trying to show the indexing button that is used to set the alignment and focus of the bulb. Since I can't read the full text I put on the picture I will state here that there will need to be multiple fitment of the bulb in the reflector because the original bulb mounting might be different on your reflectors from the ones on my reflectors. There will need to be another hole drilled in the mounting to set that ball in the correct position to help hold the bulb in correct orientation and alignment to get the optimum focus.
    This is the mounting of the LED light "mount" This shows how the spring clips hold the light mount in. Another shot of the mounting. From the back side, and a little ShoeGoo goes a long way to help hold it in place. Here is the back of the reflector with the light bulb in so you can see just how shallow it is. 
It doesn't take anymore depth than the stock light mounting. Here is the LED "bulb" itself. Another shot showing that there are 2 sets of LEDs The reducer mounted with a smear of ShoeGoo, to the inside of the headlight bucket. Excuse the extra wiring, I have done and will do more experimenting with different lighting, so I have extra wires. Another mounting, and you can see the headlight plug for the halogen bulb used. In the center of this picture is a small chrome ball, this ball is the indexing ball like on your favorite ratchet that allows you to set the depth and alignment of the LEDs for focusing.
There will need to be an extra hole in the base mount to get the alignment and focus correct.
Your mount and distance may vary. This is the bulb installed Another shot of the bulb installed showing how to orient the bulb for high and low beams, the turn bulb on mine is on the bottom, yours may vary. Installed. Let's see if that is easier to see the ball mentioned in pic#11
    Last edited by DaWizard; 10-29-2018, 01:06 AM. Reason: correcting information
    "We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing ...
    NEVER Be The First To Get Old!" Pilfered from the MAFC SA Newsletter

I JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID!!

Thanks Wiz.

Comment

Good info Wiz, I bought some LEDs for the rear, and this is probably the next step, I'm paranoid about being seen.

Comment

While this does require 12v neg chassis, as I have posted in the past, these are a ONE MILE set of lights. Meaning, on high beam, I can see illumination for One Mile. I know this because where I live the city is divided into 1 mile grids for major streets and half mile for minor streets and on the low beam I can see the reflection on the parking restriction signs to the half mile street, and on high I can see the reflection of the same signs to the next major street.

This is serious illumination through the stock Model A lenses. NOT the early fluted lenses as all they do is blast the light out without the focus of the later lenses.

Comment

When you get a chance show us a picture of what the beam looks like from 25 feet from a wall or garage door.

Comment

• DaWizard
            DaWizard commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll take a few shots tonight.

Ok, you asked for it, I deliver.

The lighter ones were at dusk, the darker ones were taken just a few minutes ago.

You should be able to tell high from low beams

Comment

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Watch out that you don't burn a hole in the garage door with those intense lights.
            Nice thread BTW

Great job Wiz, thanks for the info.

Comment

Thanks Wiz.
            One question: in your pictures it appears that you are also using your headlights for parking lamps, or is that just a reflection of the headlight bulbs?
            Alaskan A's
            Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
            Model A Ford Club of America
            Model A Restorers Club
            Antique Automobile Club of America
            Mullins Owners Club

Comment

• DaWizard
              DaWizard commented
              Editing a comment
              Those are the turn signal LEDs. I had to have something that was bright enough to be seen when the headlights were turned on, and I tried to take a picture of them working but it caused the phone to go cross eyed.

I like this setup. I have a set of the Vintiques reflectors with the turn signal sockets in the box waiting for something like this. I think I may order a set and give it a try.
            So the plastic ring that you drilled the orientation hole into comes with the lights, correct? This assembly is made to retrofit the Halogens?

Comment

• DaWizard
              DaWizard commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, all you will need to do relocate that hole, as the I'm not sure if the orientation of the mounting in the reflector you have.

You will find that it might need to be back just a tad to get the focus correct, but that was barely needed on mine.

Thank You
            A couple of questions.
            What reflectors are you using / where purchased ?
            You mention a "reducer" The website asks about a "decoder". Are they the same?
            Thank You
            George

Comment

George, I removed the original headlights complete and installed a set purchased from CW Moss that were already set up for Halogen and parking lights. Now, these happened to be a Vintiques item, but I am tickled pink with the fit and finish. Their new stainless headlights are great.

Yes, the reducer is the decoder.

Just an FYI, I also removed the "stock" style plugs and wiring that came with the headlights and installed 6 conductor Amphanol connectors so I didn't need to worry about connections, and had enough connections to do other light things in the future. The stock 3 connector unit can be used, but I can not impress upon you the need for a very good ground on the housing.

Comment

You mentioned above that this set-up requires H-13 mounting. The Vintique reflectors I have I believe are for H-4 bulbs. Is that a problem?
                Alaskan A's
                Model A Restorers Club
                Mullins Owners Club

Comment

Well, I looked at both headlights and it appears that they are the same, or close enough that it shouldn't matter. The H-4 bulb has what appears to be a tin style mounting, while the H-13 style has the mounting like I am using.

I will need to call them tomorrow and confirm the type, but I believe it is the replacement 8th Gen 9004 bulb. I know it was an 8th gen headlight conversion.

Stand by until tomorrow and I will confirm what I purchased. My login doesn't work so I can check tonight......please stand by.

Just looking back at the link in the first post, it is the 9004 replacement bulb, not the H-13 mounting.

Comment

• CarlG
                    CarlG commented
                    Editing a comment
                    OK, one more question: Do I buy the set with the decoder, or without the decoder?

Ok, UPDATE!!

Carl, you do NOT need the decoder, that is for the modern computerized cars!

Now, to solidify the unit needed, it is the 9007 replacement, and here is the link to that bulb.

http://www.jdmastar.com/product/314/...-Set-of-2.html

This is all that is needed and if you have the standard 3 prong halogen light socket, it plugs right into that.

Comment

• BNCHIEF
                    BNCHIEF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wiz we are talking about Carl here maybe he has incorporated a ecm into his car. Carl I had the absolute pleasure of meeting your neighbor Jim in Iowa such a nice man he says my car is his car's evil twin.

• CarlG
                    CarlG commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Chief, not sure what an "ecm" is.
                    And Jim is probably the reason why many of the Model A's in Alaska are alive and well.

• CarlG
                    CarlG commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wiz, So if I don't need the decoder, what you show in picture #8 & 10 is not needed?

Like Lt. Columbo says: Just one more question— Is there any problem with cooling since the fan is enclosed in the air tight bucket?
                  Alaskan A's
                  Model A Restorers Club
                  Mullins Owners Club

Comment

Actually, there are no fans, and IF you have a reducer fail like I did, it was replaced the next day. These guys are great to deal with.

Comment

• KB9JLO
                      KB9JLO commented
                      Editing a comment
                      So you have the one's without the fans Wiz? Good to know.

• DaWizard
                      DaWizard commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, no fans

Looks like this is going to be one of my winter projects this winter.
                    Alaskan A's
                    Model A Restorers Club
                    Mullins Owners Club

Comment

• CarlG
                      CarlG commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Placed my order today. Procrastination doesn't exactly work though, price went up since I first looked at them.

Ok, the posted pictures are the items that come with the actual lights and all parts are needed. There is a separate "decoder" that is needed for the new generation of computer controlled cars to fool the computer, or some such, but the Model A isn't in need of those.

And yes, looks like the price has increased by $40.00!

Not my fault.

What I would do is call them and see if the new price reflects the need for the "decoder" and explain that for this application it is not needed and maybe they will send you the set without that part for a better price.

Comment

• CarlG
                      CarlG commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Procrastination was my fault, not yours! And if you want the "decoder", it's $10 more