Stocking up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stocking up

So, I intend for my car to last at least as long as me, to that end I have been thinking about extra parts to keep on hand. I know from reading that certain NOS parts are much better than any new ones, points for example. Are there any other NOS parts that it would be worth searching ebay for just to have on hand, parts that the repros do a poor job of replicating?

I would stock up on one of everything

Here is some info from the not so distance past
    https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...lems-and-fixes
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• jordanka16
      jordanka16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol, if I did that pretty soon I'd just have another model A, then I'd have to start all over.

• jordanka16
      jordanka16 commented
      Editing a comment
      That thread is a good read, thanks.

Originally posted by jordanka16 View Post
    So, I intend for my car to last at least as long as me, to that end I have been thinking about extra parts to keep on hand. I know from reading that certain NOS parts are much better than any new ones, points for example. Are there any other NOS parts that it would be worth searching ebay for just to have on hand, parts that the repros do a poor job of replicating?
    Jordan, you kinda forgot to mention the parts you were referring to.

I would get a second generator, water pump, distributor and starter, and distributor parts, ie:rotor, cap, body, points, or just a total rebuilt one. These NOS parts are the ones that you can't buy just anywhere, and are handy to have on hand. I personally use the "modern bendix" because I run my starter on 12v which has destroyed an original.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Originally posted by DaWizard View Post

Jordan, you kinda forgot to mention the parts you were referring to.

I would get a second generator, water pump, distributor and starter, and distributor parts, ie:rotor, cap, body, points, or just a total rebuilt one. These NOS parts are the ones that you can't buy just anywhere, and are handy to have on hand. I personally use the "modern bendix" because I run my starter on 12v which has destroyed an original.
      That's a good list, I've got a fair bit of that already, the one thing I am worried most about is the water pump, I dont know if the one on there is original or a new leakless style, and i know it's been on for a while.

I've got another starter, and a distributor, the car has electronic ignition on it now, but I'm tempted to convert back to points, maybe I'm crazy

Comment

• DaWizard
        DaWizard commented
        Editing a comment
        I think there is no substitute for original. I have found the top plates on "moderns" float way too much and cause trouble, and they are way harder to try to get a point adjustment with things moving around.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273519105997

would that be a decent core to get and rebuild?

Comment

• DaWizard
        DaWizard commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, good for a core.