Headlights - convert back from sealed beam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlights - convert back from sealed beam

I was reasonably sure my headlights had been converted over to sealed beams (6V). I opened one of my headlights and that is correct. Typically when this was done how much has been changed inside the headlight housing?

How hard would it be to convert them back? At the least back to a reflector and lens...
    Dan Reynolds

I changed my sealed beam lights back to original. Required removing the sealed beam light connector and its wiring in the bucket. Removed the seal beam bulb holder. Installed the original style internal wiring harness inside the bucket. Put the original style connectors on the ends of the main wiring harness and installed them in the plugs and base sockets. Installed reflector with adjusting screw and spring with bulb. Single bulb installation. It was a simple, successful conversion.

Comment

• KB9JLO
      KB9JLO commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Paul. I was worried that structurally something was modified inside the housing to make the sealed beam fit. I'm new to this so there is still a since of mystery to some parts. But I'm still enjoying it! My housings say 2-bulb.

make sure you buy the correct shaped reflectors from brattons. Should be about $90

Comment

There were two types of conversions available. One used the outside ring and the original lens and the other did not use the outside ring.

Comment

This one does not use the original lens - that was the giveaway when I was looking at them. Well besides it looking like sealed beam.
        Remember I'm new so I don't have a lot of experience with all the details. Heck I have NO EXPERIENCE! LOL!

There is a spacer ring around the sealed beam and it is rusted all to heck.

What book has an exploded view of the headlight assembly? That's what I want to see. Will it be in the judging standards?
        Dan Reynolds

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          You might be able to pick up a used set of headlights cheap with bad plating and steal the parts

Bert's, Bratton's, and Snyder's catalogs have lots of pictures of the parts, and might even have the exploded view of the headlamp.
        Off hand it sounds like you need the lens, retainer clips, reflectors, bulbs, and sockets.

Comment

• Mike V. Florida
          Mike V. Florida commented
          Editing a comment
          This is a case where a paper catalog beats out the internet.

• SeaSlugs
          SeaSlugs commented
          Editing a comment
          Also need the cork or neoprene seal

• KB9JLO
          KB9JLO commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, as big a computer geek as I am - I still appreciate a good catalog. I have noticed though some suppliers on their web pages have PDFs of their instructions. Quite useful beyond just the instruction part - many of them have diagrams.

Hey Dan, refresh my memory, what are you workin on? Like Year and Model. I have a set of original '28-early '29 headlights that need a home.

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...-28-headlights

These would be great for a Pickup.
        You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• KB9JLO
          KB9JLO commented
          Editing a comment
          1930 Town Sedan. Other than the buckets those parts look nice. I'm going to try to get by with just getting lens though. Thanks for offering and seeing them helped fill in some blanks as well.

Originally posted by KB9JLO View Post

What book has an exploded view of the headlight assembly? That's what I want to see.
        Me thinks you are going to need everything except the shell and mounting.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 10-23-2018, 03:24 AM.

Comment

• KB9JLO
          KB9JLO commented
          Editing a comment
          Well as they say in the movies, "I have a cunning plan..." I want to end up with LED headlights - to see and be seen. I have an idea for a reflector and I want to put the park/turn signals in there too. But gosh darn it I don't want sealed beams. I want the original headlight lens...

• Mike V. Florida
          Mike V. Florida commented
          Editing a comment
          You can see and be seen with properly restored stock headlights.

• tbirdtbird
          tbirdtbird commented
          Editing a comment
          Some would argue not very well

I found a couple of pics. One was from Les Andrew's book, one from the judging stds. book...
        Dan Reynolds

Comment

Dan before you buy leds get the reflectors in bucket and check how much room there is
        i fitted leds to aftermarket rod style buckets and had to find deeper buckets
        the leds come with a big fan on the back

Comment

• DaWizard
          DaWizard commented
          Editing a comment
          I really should do a tutorial on my headlights.

• KB9JLO
          KB9JLO commented
          Editing a comment
          Pooch, yep I've been looking at all of those bulbs... Hard to sort through their marketing speak.
          Last edited by KB9JLO; 10-23-2018, 05:04 PM.

• CarlG
          CarlG commented
          Editing a comment
          Wiz, I wish you would as well. I’m still toying with the LED idea.

It is strongly recommended that you get an original socket and parts over repro. Less hassle and it will just work.

Comment