See less

Help! Car dead . . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just measured my 28, and from ball center to ball center, it measures 16 7/8".

Comment

Well, you all will probably not approve of my fix, but the spark lever would not go fully up . . . It would hit the right side of the cut out on the distributor body. So instead of messing with the links of the rod I used my dremel tool and just made the cut out 3/8 inch longer on the right side. That may sound a little crazy but everything seems to work just fine and my spark lever now goes to the top. Thanks a lot to everyone for their help. Car is running excellent.

I am now replacing the gas gage . . . my only question is I have two types of floats both the same size but one is very soft and the other one is hard as a rock. Which one would be best to use?

Comment

• DaWizard
        DaWizard commented
        Editing a comment
        If both of them are cork, neither as the gasahol will eat the cork. Use the newer black plastic or a brass float.

Tom, my spark rod measures the same as yours. In lengthening the slot on the distributor body my only concern was to be sure the top plate didn’t pop-up out of its place within the distributor but mine is far from that happening. I made sure the spark lever was it it’s full up position when I set the timing. Toms, thanks for your feedback.

One last note . . . the cutout on the new distributor body I purchased is not exactly the same as my old distributor body . . . probably almost a quarter inch different. That makes me think that about half of my adjustment was due to the cutout being incorrect.

Comment