Fan belt problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan belt problems

Anybody run a fan belt that is not wrapped or a cogged belt. Mine developed a squeak that wasn't consistent with valve train noise nor crankshaft or rods.I have all three fan pulley, crankshaft, and alternator new with about 1500 miles on them. They look new. I never have had luck with the wrapped belts. Any suggestions?
    Attached Files

First, to insure it is the belt that is squeaking, remove it and run the engine to see if that is the problem. If it is, you can use soap or belt dressing to help remove the squeak, or just run the belt a bit looser.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Already ran it off the engine. Look at the pictures Wiz. It's falling apart. The alternator pulley is just too small diameter for a wrapped belt. I need a cogged belt. I bought one from a place last year online for my truck, a cogged belt and it works perfect.

Comment

I actually have one from the auto parts house, narrower but works fine for my alternator. I just took a string and measured around the pulleys and got 3 different lengths, used the one that fit, took the other 2 back.
        You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Ok, who is your auto parts house? Is it a cogged belt?

I think I found the place I ordered from the last time for my truck. $2.38 each. Shipping is more than the belt. I can't drive to a parts store that has one for that much. I'll post back when I get it and try it out.

Comment

• DaWizard
            DaWizard commented
            Editing a comment
            Dennis, I think it was Auto Zone, and no, not a cogged belt.

The cog belt is a better choice when running an alternator. The gates # BX40 or BX42 works nice

Fwiw ,,,,i don't like to use any belt soap or dressings as the noise usually gets worse or is temporary at best
          3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Big hammer
            Big hammer commented
            Editing a comment
            When I was a teen had a mechanic offer too fix a squeaky belt if I bought him a coke. I did he drank most of it and poured the remaining on the belt :-(

Mitch, that has been my experience also. Rod
          Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

Belts are sold by Car Quest now bought out by Advance Auto Parts here.

These belts are for trucks and are a little wider than some and work well with the wide pulleys on Model A.
            The notches allow belt to go around the small pulleys on alternators without damage to belt.

A notched belt is good idea on Alternators as it wraps tighter and slips less I think.

Notched belts use a different number system

Truck and Bus Series made by Gates

This one fits the smaller alternator pulleys ... smaller than the ones on a stock Chevy V8 alternator

Numbers on label are:
            TR22425
            15A1080
            11/16ths by 43-1/8th

They are NOT wrapped and are cut rubber on the part that goes into the pulley groove.

Last edited by benson; 08-07-2017, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaWizard View Post
              First, to insure it is the belt that is squeaking, remove it and run the engine to see if that is the problem. If it is, you can use soap or belt dressing to help remove the squeak, or just run the belt a bit looser.
              You can also hit it with a squirt from WD-40, will stop the squeak immediately if that is the issue. Usually the belt is worn, thus riding inside the pulley not on top where it belongs.

Comment

I have used the BX40 with good results for many years. The internal cogs let it curve around the small alternator pully nicely.
                Bill
                http://www.brauchauto.com/
                Eastern Connecticut

Comment