Done with Hershey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Done with Hershey!

Well, as the title says, I'm done with Hershey! Why? you might ask. Some time in the past, I'm sure they had a problem and these were the solutions. First off,I had no idea when I left at 6 AM to get some coffee, I could not get back in until 7 AM. I was told by the "Security Service" the I had to go cool my heels in the Chocolate field parking lot. I hate seeming stupid laws. I don't believe the people who actually run the Hershey event are stupid. So what problem did this solve? How does this make life better?
    Number Two! I go in under the auspices of a man who was very powerful in the AACA. I could go back to him and make him aware of this, but I'm choosing not to for my own reasons. The problem is as follows, I am Disabled. I have my hanger on my mirror. I have documentation to this effect from the state of Pennsylvania. I use a 3 wheeler bike for transportation. I can walk about 100 yds and my hips begin give me such pain, I have to sit down. That being said, I had registered the bike at the main tent of the Chocolate Field and the lady put the pink ribbon on (With last year's Green ribbon) I was Legal! So why am I cruising around near the car corral (Not in the corral, but that's how far I was from the Chocolate field). The "Rent a cop" who accosted me told that I couldn't ride a bike through the show. I was astounded. I had registered my bike according to all the rules I knew about. I am Disabled. I had been using it since Tuesday. So I asked him how do I get the bike back to the Chocolate Field, his answer, "Walk it back" What was going through my mind at that point was "You stupid imitation flatfoot, I can't walk! That's why I use the bike in the first place!" Besides, Anyone ever try to walk a 3 wheeler? Especially, when the basket is full of auto parts! It was almost a mile back to light post 38. I ain't walking it and I didn't. But the two events leave a bad taste in my mouth.
    3. As has been said many times, Hershey attendance has been dropping for years. So, what is their solution? Make up for the lost revenue by raising the price of the spots! Instead of lowering the rent to bring people back, they're increasing it which will have the effect of being the final straw to many others got not make the trip. It's called "Dwindling". Rumor has it , 2019's rent will be $90. So, pretty soon they will have their shows in Walmart's parking lots. So, I used to love Hershey and thought it was a highlight of the year, No more! It's just becoming a royal PITA. Thanks Guys, for taking the pleasure out of it!
    Terry
    Last edited by Terry, NJ; 10-13-2018, 11:35 AM.

Terry, it is terrible that they put you through that. Someone at Hershey needs to read this, because i doubt you are the only one that this has happend to.

Comment

Yikes!
      I am pretty sure they cannot legally stop you from using a handicapped scooter.
      A complaint needs to be filed at the highest level

Comment

Don't understand. On Tuesday I saw scooters all over the place. You should send a complaint.

Comment

I believe he was in the car corral and signs posted say: No Scooters,etc............
          I was down 2 years ago and drive thru the corral, no "Rent a cops :rolling" around.
          Paul in CT

Comment

Doesn't matter, you cannot legally deny a handicapped person their scooter, ever
            Trust me on this one

Comment

• Mitch
              Mitch commented
              Editing a comment
              He was not on a scooter

""""I use a 3 wheeler bike for transportation.""""

Terry regardless I'm sorry to hear this happened it is BS

• Terry, NJ
              Terry, NJ commented
              Editing a comment
              Why didn't the lady tell me that when I registered it. Those restrictions, I think, are a little too restrictive to meet ADA requirements!

• Mitch
              Mitch commented
              Editing a comment
              They licensed your bike with a tag, so to be told you can’t use it does not make sense

Q: Unauthorized Moving Vehicles
            A: You can use your personal electric mobility vehicle--2 occupant maximum--(no gasoline powered vehicles) after it is registered with the Hershey Region. Registration sites will be located in the North end of the Hersheypark Maintenance building beside the Hersheypark Stadium, on the west side of the Giant Center, or on the Chocolate Field close to the Main Tent. Register by showing your state issued handicap parking placard.

A: For the safety of our visitors and members, moving vehicles, including bicycles, motorbikes, scooters, roller blades, skateboards, mini-bikes, motorcycles and privately owned motorized carts, are not permitted to operate on the flea market, car corral or show fields. No gasoline powered vehicles permitted.

EXCEPTIONS: Handicap registered, electric scooters or electric golf carts. To register your electric vehicle for handicap use, go to the north end of the Hersheypark Maintenance building beside the Hersheypark Stadium, or to the west side of the Giant Center, or on the Chocolate Field close to the Main Tent, and show your state issued handicap parking placard.

Approved electric scooter for the handicapped.
            3~ Tudor's & 1~ Coupe
            Henry Ford said,
            "It's all nuts and bolts"
            "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Mitch
              Mitch commented
              Editing a comment
              I saw bicycles, gas powered golf carts, gas powered mini bikes, roller blades, roller skates and skate boards being used on the fields.
              sellers bring them in with their trailer of parts, so that's how they get passed the gate. I also saw people purchasing old bikes from vendors to drive around with

• Ted Duke
              Ted Duke commented
              Editing a comment
              This has been a joke for years. In addition to those things listed by Mitch, there are pickup trucks, cars and whatever driving around. I was in Orange-green for several hours Thursday afternoon checking out the motor-homes and trailers (because everything except old junk was covered due to the rain) and had to "move aside at least fifteen times for motorized vehicles. Thursday afternoon was a waste, but I had a great dinner at Fenicci's!

I had a similar experience with a rent-a-cop at hershey several years ago. I had dropped off a fender to have a spare tire well installed, and when I went to pick it up in the morning, the rent-a-cop said I could drive in, but could not drive out until the end of the day. I drove in, got the fender, and headed for the gate. He was sitting there in his golf cart blocking the exit, so I floored the truck and headed straight for him. Just in time, he moved and I escaped. I reported his actions to the AACA main tent, but that went nowhere. Stupid rules, and zelous rent-a-cops who think they are in the Army or something.
            Bill
            http://www.brauchauto.com/
            Eastern Connecticut

Comment

• Terry, NJ
              Terry, NJ commented
              Editing a comment
              Complaints like that usually don't go anywhere. They just can't be bothered!

Last flea market I was at 2 weeks ago, had a gas powered picnic table with seating for 8 driving around.
            I understand that these events need to have limits.
            Sorry about your experience Terry.
            Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

• Jeff/Illinois
              Jeff/Illinois commented
              Editing a comment
              I just saw one of those Sat. nite tooling around Illinois!! Weird!!

Hi Terry,

Thanks for sharing.

Even Wal-Mart has motorized indoor shopping carts for even partially disabled individuals.

Many Americans have no idea how serious this is: ..... NOT provide ADA compliant entrances and ADA compliant areas for events and use of facilities.

Every year since its inception, Federal ADA requirements become stricter to allow even partially disable citizens to very simply participate in more and more activities.

It gets real when one thinks that his/her grandson or granddaughter has no ramp provided at a movie theater.

A. Why just talk about it?

B. Please first call the Federal ADA: 1-800-514-0301 to find exact rules for your particular situation.

C. Second: Ask for a phone number for filing a formal, written ADA complaint.

D. Third: After becoming informed about anyone's certified ADA Federal rights, call any lawyer, and ask if he is interested in your Win-Win-Case.

Most sincerely hope this helps.
            Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 10-13-2018, 04:12 PM.

Comment

While speaking of these motorized people movers in the flea market there are some users that do not respect that the pedestrian has the right of way. I saw people speeding through heavily trafficked (by pedestrians) areas with wild abandon. They all used to drag a can under the vehicles to warn pedestrians of their proximity but not this year. If anything I believe that these individuals need to have their motoring privileges in the flea market revoked.

Comment

Well Guys, I held off responding to your very worth while opinions and comments just to see how many would read something else into the situation. First off, I was NOT in the car corral! I was in the last row next to it. Earlier, I was in the car corral looking at the Kurtis-Muntz (Cool Car, I have pics that I will post), But I left the bike on the other side of the curbing. In other words, the twenty five feet or so was not outside my limits. Remember, I can walk somewhat, just not the length and breadth of the show which I reckon to be about a mile end to end. Maybe not, but it's the better part of a mile anyway. Henry, I will not take legal action of any kind because I'm not looking for any kind of compensation. Also, I'm not sure where owner/lessee's rights are in regards to the ADA. However, I am familiar with the ADA's stated purpose of making all of life's experiences available to everyone, no matter what physical problems they have. I once had to make an outdoor restroom available to blind people although I personally thought that was a little too much (I mean, How are they going to get to it on their own, they're going to need help getting through the woods. Imagine! Brail signs for the men's and women's rooms!) And in the Grand Canyon's designs, are provisions for people who are Quadrapledgic to see it from all points that a person with no disabilities can. I don't wish to make a lot of trouble and expense for Herco (?) or the AACA. I think that they put on a heckuva car meet or maybe, they used to! I spent many happy hours in there, But that was when I could walk better. I usually came Wednesday and Fridays. Wednesday I would do half the show and Friday I would do the other half. It was almost pure pleasure! Then I encounter some A-Holes who feel it's their task in life to suck the fun out of everything.
                Terry

Comment

• Jeff/Illinois
                  Jeff/Illinois commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Terry I never understood why they put a braille pad on the drive up ATM machine!!

You need not take legal action per se, but a complaint certainly should be filed, else they will continue to harrass handicapped people.
                "Also, I'm not sure where owner/lessee's rights are in regards to the ADA. "
                This is a non issue, since the event was open to the public; thus the ADA had to be complied with

Comment

Somebody was a Asshole and It wasn't you Terry .

Comment

I am not handy capped but I am old. I had a hard time Wednesday walking around to see everything I wanted to see. I would like to be able to ride my bicycle around the flee market aria but no they won't let you do that. Yet they do let you run a big golf cart around that will probably go 20 MPH. These people think they have the right of way and I was nearly mowed down a couple of times. What harm can a little old bicycle do compared to a golf cart.

Comment

• Tom Wesenberg
                      Tom Wesenberg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I agree that golf carts are way too big to be running around swap meets.
                      They are a real pain and hazard at every swap meet where they are allowed.

• H. L. Chauvin
                      H. L. Chauvin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I saw an elderly lady get run over recently in an airport with one of those large Airport Multi-Seat Carts.

Lady driver blew her horn several times and the lady out front kept walking and did not move when the rest of the crown cleared the way.

It was really a sad sight to see this elderly lady laying down suffering.

Sounds like these scooter problems and such have become worse since they paved over the fields. I've never been to Hershey but friends that have still talk about back in the 70's when it would rain and rain and everything turned into a sea of mud. It made it hard to get around. I don't ever recall them telling me problems with scooters back then.In that kind of mud they would be useless anyway.

Comment

Me and wife walked it for 3 days. I am 58, she is 60. My hips almost locked up and I am paying the price today. We bought a eco air meter way back by race car row. I bought a $10 wire cart from a vendor 2 stalls up and hauled the meter along with 4 barn lights all the way out to the grass parking. I would have paid someone with one of those carts to haul this stuff close to the exit. Like above said, we saw all sorts of wheeled things people were using to get around. I didn't mind it, only thing that bothers me is the rules say no to most of this.
                      I go to some machine gun shoots/swap meets and they have guys staged all day with vehicles that will haul you and your purchases all the way to your car in the parking lot just for tips. Works out great.

Comment

• Terry, NJ
                        Terry, NJ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I don't know if it was Hershey, but years ago, at some swap meet, they used to employee the local Boy Scout troop to haul your parts in a coaster wagon for a buck or two. Where has that gone?

At our swap meets here, including PATE, there are people whose specific job is to haul parts. I am one of the haulers for a meet the Dallas club puts on. I haul stuff all over the place. Guys have tried to pay me, but I refuse it, we are there as volunteers for that very purpose.
                      How else are you supposed to get your stuff back to the parking lot, anyway? I recently hauled a huge vintage Pepsi machine for a guy, how was that gonna happen without a hauler

Comment

• Jeff/Illinois
                        Jeff/Illinois commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Simple if he had been Popeye just squeeze out a can of spinach........ackk acck ackk acck

Well, I've called it quits! I didn't make that much money, my time at home seems more valuable than arguing with someone over a bike. The rental costs are going up next year. I'm not fond of the drive out there and I realize I'm closer than most. Too many stupid rules and not enough return. The hell with it. Trouble is, I'm going to sugar coat my memories of it before and I will miss it.
                      Terry

Comment

• Mitch
                        Mitch commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well Terry maybe just change it up a little. Go for the day to see the sights like I do and be home for dinner. I'll let you borrow the VFF Hemi powered golf cart for next year.

• Terry, NJ
                        Terry, NJ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's how I used to do it until I got in with the "Wrong crowd" and they go in on Tuesday and emerge Saturday night. Believe it or not, they do best on Saturday. I left on Friday. When you took those pics of the MARC tent and that green fordor, you were standing at the edge of our spaces. Trouble is, I'm getting old! I don't want to quit going, but I need my bike and I don't want to fight anyone over it. I just want to go, enjoy the day and not be pushed around by anyone.
                        Terry

I was at the Big Three swap meet in San Diego several years ago I bought two 19" wheels and was carrying them out to my car. The guy at the exit was a Model A guy (A400) and had access to a golf cart. He loaded me and the wheels in the cart and drove me to my car. We were out in the parking lot, outside the fence and outside of the swap area. We shared photos of our cars and I thanked him profusely for taking me. What a nice guy!!

Comment

We already made hotel arrangements at the Hershey lodge. Monday Tuesday Wednesday $200 and some change a night. After that it doubles. I am going to walk out of the hotel room and to the meet. Then go crash when we need to. I hate fighting the crowded roads and wearing myself down. I can only imagine those that need a scooter. This will only be a few more dollars than the sleazy motel we stayed in.

Comment

• Jeff/Illinois
                          Jeff/Illinois commented
                          Editing a comment
                          A good friend years ago, bought a little dinky pull behind trailer and parked it in his swap meet space just to avoid the hotel charges. Worked out well for him but I understand a LOT of folks do that kind of thing now and big RV's are crowding out the swap area?? I don't know never been out there............

The real reason why Hershey is just so bad is simple. Taxes.

The state has some overbearing sales tax rules that drove all the major non PA vendors away or significantly changed their practices.
                        The requirement that everyone has to have a sales tax certificate also hurts. It has worn away. Yes, they are missing out of the tax of stuff sold, but really the money draw from the sheer number of people should far outweigh the loss.

A secondary problem is the eBay and internet effect. For much less work you make more money on average selling through eBay. Hershey only helps for the big stuff.

If they were to 'move' Hershey to a state that is easier on taxes I think you might see a surge in vendors returning.

Me, I have moved on and have not attended Hershey for a number of years. I have started back on eBay even though there is about a 12% premium on the sales by the time you get done with fees, but you sell stuff often for much more.

As for the problems with the cop. Simple you say yes sir and start walking away. As soon as he can't on see you, you get back on just like everyone else does.

Comment

Hey! Kevin! You are correct on all points! It's no longer just a big,big swap meet. I've heard the Pa treasury has agents on the field. Fortunately, not many folks were buying much, just looking! Gettin' like Jersey! But that aside, Why couldn't I get back in a6 AM? What purpose did that serve? As far as that stupid Rent-a-cop goes, that's pretty much what I did! For crying out loud, I had it and me registered! She had put the ribbon on (Next to last year's) I wasn't anymore of a danger to anyone than those golf carts. Insane!
                          Terry

Comment

Terry,
                            I wish you had a better experience this year. I was in the red field and I am sick of all the people just paying for a space and use it as a parking lot.
                            Hershey is not the same because of many reasons but I will continue to make this event as long as my knees hold out.
                            mike
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 2 photos.
                            Michael
                            1928 speedster
                            1929 closed cab p/u
                            1930 standard roadster
                            1931 deluxe tudor sedan
                            1967 ss/rs conv.camaro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              Terry,
                              I wish you had a better experience this year. I was in the red field and I am sick of all the people just paying for a space and use it as a parking lot.
                              Hershey is not the same because of many reasons but I will continue to make this event as long as my knees hold out.
                              mike
                              That finished it off for me. There were row after row of motorhomes in the flea market, with nothing for sale, or maybe a card table with 2 or 3 items to satisfy the officials. Hotels are much too expensive, I dont need any more cars or car parts, I gave up selling many years ago, and it is a 6 hour drive, so I quit. I started going with my father in 1970 when I was discharged from the USAF, but quit 3 years ago.
                              Bill
                              http://www.brauchauto.com/
                              Eastern Connecticut

Comment