oil capacity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil capacity

what is the proper oil fill capacity on a 28 model a with a oil filter ?

What number oil filter are you using? There are a couple different sizes used on the A.
    2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

last owner used a fram f8A

Comment

Change your oil as usual and fill your filter.Run your motor then let it sit for a while then check the level and add if needed.Keep track of what you put in the filter and what you added if necessary and that will give you the total oil needed for a oil change.

That's how I did it and found I needed to add about a 1/2 qt.

Comment

That’s the bigger filter which holds about a quart.. The Fram # is PH8A... with that being said Fram’s are junk now.. Go with a Wix
          2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I HAVE AND NEVER LIKED A FRAM BUT WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IS CRANKCASE CAPACITY

Comment

Here is the owners manual.. Look at page 6

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...-owners-manual

Another thing you may want to consider is oil drain back from the filter after the engine is turned off.
              2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Thanks Guys very helpful / Going to the forums now

Comment

Oil capacity can be kinda relative in these old monsters. It depends on whats in the oil pan. I've seen over a qt of 'crud' [ technical term] in them.

Normally they hold 5 qts. when engine completely empty. 4.0-4.5 qts on a normal oil change. With an oil filter I guess one would consider the capacity of that filter.

Over the decades it hard to tell if the dip stick is always correct [or even being installed correctly]. With a clean oil pan I add 4 qts [ 2 of those thru the distributor hole] [ with no filter] and file mark the dip stick. Then I add the 5th qt and again file the dip stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                  Another thing you may want to consider is oil drain back from the filter after the engine is turned off.

Has anyone encountered this???
                  2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• cpf240
                    cpf240 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I would think that would depend on the filter orientation, as well any anti-drainback features the filter or base may have.

Pat brought up a good point about the crud in the bottom of the oil pan. Dipsticks don't change, and that's why some people think the markings are wrong when they add a certain amount of oil, and it doesn't agree with the mark on the dipstick. I know I've removed about a quart of crud from the bottom of some oil pans.

Comment

• Mitch
                    Mitch commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is a good point X2

Somewhere there is posted the actual correct dimensional location of the marks on the 2 styles of dipsticks. Our repro stick: 7 7/8" from bulb to end, F mark 1 1/8" to end. Our fill is approx. 4 3/4 with oil in dipper tray and filter, about 1/8" below F mark. Motorcraft FL1A filter is available also.
                  Last edited by plyfor; 10-12-2018, 03:07 PM.

Comment

I know there is a huge thing against Fram filters today. We've probably installed a bizillion of them over the decades without any issues. [ I wish I could say that about some other brands].
                    I know they have changed over the years. I still use the 'orange' filters in some stuff, but, have switched to the 'better' grades in most cases. I guess I'm one of the few that still use them.

Comment

If you have Mike's side cover type oil filter, the Wix number is 51515

Comment

What OCI are you guys with filters running? I assume that is one of the reasons to run one, aside from less crud in the oil overall.

Comment

Not sure what OCI is.
                          Other than that I try to be as nice to my bearings as possible.
                          Especially the new aluminum lined inserts, IMO they don't embed as well as babbitt

Comment

• jordanka16
                            jordanka16 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Sorry, that's "oil change interval"

• tbirdtbird
                            tbirdtbird commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Got it. We have aluminum lined shells (modern inserts), and tour at 60+ mph, and change oil and filter every 1000. Cheap insurance! Got too many $$$ in these motors

• jordanka16
                            jordanka16 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Agreed, I have babbitt and tour at the same speed, no oil filter but I have an air filter, I change every 500. Really dont feel like paying for a rebuild at 12k miles, lol

Comment

• Bobm90
                            Bobm90 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks for that Fhane, made a copy of the photo and keeping it in my Model A info folder.