Model A listing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model A listing

I could use some help. My A is listing to the right. I am thinking that during the assembly of the rear spring to the frame, I must have made a bad mistake.
    Now, what should I do to correct this list? Do I need to raise the frame and drop the rear axle?
    Should I invest in a new rear spring?

Thanks

Do you have better pictures of the spring perches and shackles ?

Comment

Two things come to mind. Is your square bolt head for the spring in the rear crossmember pocket?
      It looks like your body is setting too far to the right, which would make it lean like it is.
      My 29 Tudor leaned to the left, but after I fixed my clutch chatter, then it sets level, so I have to assume someone had the 4 nuts on the spring U bolts tightened too much on the left side. When I reinstalled the rear end I tightened all 4 nuts evenly.

Comment

Was the body level to begin with? Are the bumper brackets bent?
        Doubt you need a new spring, the lean from the weight of the driver for 80 yrs is usually the other way, although maybe you flipped the spring around? Doubt you need to drop the axle.
        As Tom said, some lean can be corrected by loosening the four U bolt nuts, deliberately shifting (rocking) the body to where it should be, then tightening the nuts evenly

Comment

Did you do anything to the spring prior to vehicle reassembley? If not it could be a dry rusty spring.

Comment

Did anyone besides me notice the block of wood between the bumper bracket and the body? I think the body/frame may be setting fine, but for some reason there has been a block placed between the body and bumper bracket. That block of wood don't belong there.

Pull that block of wood out and see how it sits!
            VFF Recruiter

"We do not stop playing because we grow old;
            We grow old because we stop playing ...
            NEVER Be The First To Get Old!" Pilfered from the MAFC SA Newsletter

I JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID!!

"Why so Serious?"

Comment

• pAAt
              pAAt commented
              Editing a comment
              Wiz, I figured he put that in to keep body off the tire ? I was wondering if one shackle was up ?

• Bobm90
              Bobm90 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes the block of wood seems to be a temporary shim to get the body straight now. I think the question is why is one side lower than the other according to the level placed from one side of the frame to the other. Pictures of the spring hangers (?) might be helpful

• DaWizard
              DaWizard commented
              Editing a comment
              Look closer, that block of wood has not moved the body, but dropped that side of the bumper bracket instead, and the level is on the bumper brackets. It just doesn't look to me like that block needs to be there, or at the very least, a thinner block.

Sorry Wiz you're right maybe the block should come out, car be placed on the floor and maybe the level used to check floor then across the rear, for more accuracy.

Comment

Step on the running boards on each side or push the body up/down and see if the spring returns or doesn't return to "level " position. If the latter, the spring may be sagging. Also, look closely at the spring clips, the right side appears closer to the cross member indicating the sag perhaps on the right side. The rear spring may have the typical driver's sag but was installed backwards? Concur the wood block may be redundant.
              Last edited by plyfor; 10-09-2018, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Sorry I had a Brain Fart and deleted my last post.

My guess would be the block is there to level the body and show how far its off. I think we need the answer to what Tom posted about the center bolt. More detailed pictures of the whole shebang incld the shackles would be helpful.
                2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
                "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• tbirdtbird
                  tbirdtbird commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I started to write about the wood then realized he put it there so that the level would tell its story, so I had to delete a bunch of text

I put grease on the top of the top short leaf and bolt head, then if the bolt head doesn't drop into the hole, I push the body sideways until it does.
                Make sure the square bolt head is positioned square to the spring, or it won't fit the square hole in the center of the rear crossmember.
                The body looks really close to the right tire.

Comment

Looking at the spring on the drivers side, I think the spring is not seated in the rear cross member.

Comment

jump up and down on driver side running board and when level tighten you bolt on that side.

Comment

Do you have the rear floor pane in the car? If the rear seat pan is out, you can see the rear cross member. You can then see if the square head of the bolt is in the hole. My bet is it is not so loosen the u bolts and rock the body as everyone has said. Let us know what you found and what you did to correct the problem. Good luck, Robert

Comment

As others have stated, make sure center bolt is in the hole in the frame
                        get rid of the wood block, loosen the 4 nuts on the U-bolts, shake the body side to side. Tighten the 4 nuts the same. That "should" fix it. JMO
                        Paul in CT

Comment

A Friend had a similar problem, he carried a cement bumper stop in one side, to "even" it out.
                          On Minerva, if I left one door open for 3 DAYS, she'd lean that way! Open the OTHER door for 3 DAYS & she wuz level, again!---LOL---What else do you expect, from "BUGGY SPRINGS"?---Another Friend hauled a Cement Bumper Stop, in the front trunk of his CORVAIR, so side winds didn't BLOW him off the ROAD!!! It's because the Aerodynamic Center of Balance is KAPOOT, same with VW-Bugs
                          Bill Uneven
                          Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 10-09-2018, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• Bobm90
                            Bobm90 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Don't the owners of the parking lots miss those things when you "borrow" them ? Sounds like a workable plan though.

Bobm90,
                          A close Friend, Bill Buller, made ALL kinds of exposed Aggregrate Garden products, also made Bumper Stops for local parking lots! He GAVE away the REJECTS.
                          Dad Notathief

Comment

Sorry Bill, because I never saw those things for sale ( I never checked on ebay) I thought the only way to get them was to recover them from a parking lot .

Comment

Thanks guys. Back when I worked on the rear axle, I did remove the rear spring. So, when I reassembled the rear end, it is most likely that I reversed the spring.
                              So, now I have a winter project to try to disassembly the axle from the frame and reverse the spring.

Thank you for your help and advise.

Comment

• Mitch
                                Mitch commented
                                Editing a comment
                                There is no front or back on the spring, so I doubt that is your issue

• pAAt
                                pAAt commented
                                Editing a comment
                                You can call Mitch anytime JohnBeauford15632 Your in good company here John, except for me of course !! Pat

In my nonprofessional opinion, I'm "leaning" towards......Something is wrong with something.

Comment

Mitch is correct; if the sag was on the driver's side before removal, then reinstalling the spring "backward" or reversed would put the sag on the right side. If all else checks OK dimensionally, the spring may need replacement.
                                We had the driver's side sag, and no adjustment of ubolt nuts or spring leaf shifting around would cure it. A new spring was eventually purchased.
                                Last edited by plyfor; 10-11-2018, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• Mitch
                                  Mitch commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I never reuse old springs anyway. I found that to be futile and double the work in the end.

Before you pull the spring, go thru the items listed in post # 14, you might save yourself a LOT of work. JMO
                                Paul in CT

Comment

I think that about 80% of your problem lies with the bumper arms. Drawing parallel lines on the rearend and the bottom of the body subframe crossmember would seem to indicate a body "tilt" of only about 1/2". Must be something wrong with the bumper arms, their mounting, etc..

-

Comment

Remove the 1x on the right bumper bracket or better remove the bumper brackets altogether. Remove the wheel skates. drop a vertical from the center line of the body (plumb bob?). align the center of the body with the center of the chassis. (most likely the center bolt of the spring will drop into place on the rear crossmember). compare the body with the rear axle/floor. ignore the bumper brackets for now. get the foundation right first, then worry about the rest.
                                    jmodela.coffeecup

Comment

In answer to post #22, The problem is with the rear spring as it mounts to the rear frame. The bumper arms have nothing to do with this problem. The level rest on the frame, not the arms. I will look into a new spring. Thanks,

Comment

John, there is a problem with your reasoning. At the place you have the level there is NO frame, those bars sticking out are the bumper mounts. For the level to be frame mounted it would need to be hung from the bottom at the spring perch.

If you will remove that block of wood from the right side between the bumper mount and the body that will allow you to set the bumper mounts at the same level setting.

The front of the bumper mount it is mounted under the frame rail ahead of the rear spring, and the rear mount atop the rear cross member. This mounting not only keeps the bumper mounts from sagging, it also insures a sturdy mounting.
                                        VFF Recruiter

"We do not stop playing because we grow old;
                                        We grow old because we stop playing ...
                                        NEVER Be The First To Get Old!" Pilfered from the MAFC SA Newsletter

I JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID!!

"Why so Serious?"

Comment