New "A" owner with carb problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New "A" owner with carb problem

This is my first post. My wife and I are the proud owners of a beautiful '31 A Deluxe. We have named her Sarah - an acronym for the women in my life: Susan (wife), April and Robin (our daughters) and Ainsley and Hannah (our two granddaughters.) Sarah rides and runs great and we plan to drive her almost daily as weather permits.
    I now have a problem with the carb. When I turned off the engine it was dripping gas out the breather throat. My friend, who recently rebuilt the motor on an A, thought the needle might be sticking and unfortunately, I let him open the carb to check it out. Now we can't seem to get it adjusted. We have repeatedly tried to adjust the idle air mixture, but when we get it under a load or up to speed it sputters as if flooding. (Its almost as though adjusting the mixture has little effect on how she runs - idles ok but sputters at high revs.
    I was told by the previous owner when the car was restored in the late '90s they installed a B engine from an AA truck (with pressed barrings). The oil filler pipe is larger than most As I have seen, so I believe that to be true. The carb is a Zenith and appears to be exactly like other As.
    Suggestions???
    I am not a mechanic, and I fear my friend may have messed up when he reassemble the carb.
    This is my first experience with the Model A, but I believe its going to be a lifetime love affair.
    My Sarah

Are you in a Model A club, or do you have other Model A guys living close? There are a couple of good Zenith carb books sold by the parts houses, such as Bert's, Bratton's, and Snyder's. You also have Mike's fairly close to you.

Comment

MAFCA Model A ford Club of America. Chapter in Lilburn. Contact info http://www.mafca.com/chapters/GA.html. Join and meet wonderful people. Model A owners are 99% great people.
      Last edited by Ted Duke; 10-06-2018, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Or MARC Model A Restorers Club
        GEORGIA REGION - 1956 C/O MARSHALL CORLEY 1409 ROBERTS CT LOGANVILLE, GA 30052 470-268-5651 [email protected]
        GOLD MINE REGION - 2005 C/O GEORGE MERRY 3070 WENDWOOD DR MARIETTA, GA 30062 678-560-0218 [email protected]
        LIVE OAK A'S- 2017 C/O BOB LEVY 19 RIVER BLUFF DR SAVANNAH, GA 31406 912-441-8449 [email protected]
        SHADE TREE A'S - 1987 C/O JAMES MC PHERSON 4424 REYNOLDS ST HEPHZIBAH, GA 30815 706-592-4835 http://www.shadetreeas.org [email protected]
        SOUTHSIDE A'S - 1989 C/O JIM WINGO 116 WINDALIER RIDGE PEACHTREE CITY, GA 30269 770-486-8858 http://www.southsideas.com

Comment

I met Mike and his crew at A-Ford-able parts last week. They are 30 min. down the road and will be very helpful. Thanks for the Model A club info. Joining is on my to do list.

Comment

• Ted Duke
            Ted Duke commented
            Editing a comment
            That's great! I had no idea Mike's was so close to you. Lucky guy. Enjoy that A.

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Def look into getting some professional help, and keep us posted on the problem

Remember that it adjusts air, not fuel. counterclockwise is lean
          http://jmodela.coffeecup.com

Comment

The idle air screw does just and only that....adjusts the mixture at idle. Your issue seems to be at higher revs from what you said.
            To me, either the float setting is incorrect or the GAV (gas adjusting valve) on the dash is not properly set. The GAV is also the choke knob, you pull it out to choke it, but it also rotates to adjust the fuel mixture at everything higher than idle speed. Feel free to play with it, that is why it is there. Once warmed up, we drive the car at about 30-35 and play with that adjustment until the engine smooths out. We will actually screw it in until the engine begins to stumble, then open until it smooths out, and then out about another 1/4-1/2 turn, so we don't burn the valves with too lean a mixture.

This is best done with the motor under load, which is why we are driving the car when we do this. If the GAV is waaay out of whack, then try messing with it at idle to try to smooth it out somewhat.
            Often, the GAV has to be open more when the engine is cold, and closed up some when the engine is hot. You will have to experiment. No two cars are the same. Some say they run the car when hot at 1/4 turn, some say at 1/2 turn, etc. On my Marvel, the GAV likes to be a full turn, and it was overhauled by Renners, and runs like a dream. But a Zenith would prolly never need to be open that much.

Some might wonder if your jets are correct but I am not ready to blame them yet, we assume the car ran fine when you bought it. Work with the GAV first and get back to us
            Dave
            Last edited by tbirdtbird; 10-06-2018, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the VFF!!

3 ~ Tudor's
              Henry Ford said
              "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

The name SARAH is most outstanding; and your Model A is just great.

All of the above information is most helpful and in addition, here is a site from on line which explains with animated diagrams Model A carburetor basics.

Carb Basics - Model A Basics modelabasics.com/carb%20basics%202.htm

Hope this helps.

In my opinion, you came to a Model A site with compassionate Model A members who are willing to listen, assist in any way possible.

Comment

Hey mysarah, WELCOME to the VFF!!

You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Welcome to the VFF!
                  Glad to have you here. Love the name for your car.
                  Jeff
                  Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

• Tom Wesenberg
                    Tom Wesenberg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree. Sarah is one of my favorite names.
                    I can't believe my friend's wife is named Sarah, and she doesn't like it, so goes by Sally.

Welcome to the VFF! And the world of model A s! You stated that you have a model B engine, correct? Did you get a Mod B carb with it? They are very similar in appearance to someone who is unfamiliar with the differences. If it's a model B carb. count yourself lucky. I've posted these 5 pics of the two carbs and the differences. However there are internal differences too. I'm afraid that your friend may have done some damage. If you don't know how to disassemble a model A (and B) carburetor, you can damage it. These are the only carbs that use a removable venturi, but it's made out of pot metal and they break easily. (Don't ask me how I know)
                  Terry

Comment

Welcome to the forum, being so close to a good parts house you are lucky, if you are not experienced in rebuilding these carbs I would follow the advise of others and visit Mike with it, get'er done right then drive and enjoy your lovely car !!

Comment

Originally posted by mysarah View Post
                      This is my first post. My wife and I are the proud owners of a beautiful '31 A Deluxe. We have named her Sarah - an acronym for the women in my life: Susan (wife), April and Robin (our daughters) and Ainsley and Hannah (our two granddaughters.) Sarah rides and runs great and we plan to drive her almost daily as weather permits.
                      I now have a problem with the carb. When I turned off the engine it was dripping gas out the breather throat. My friend, who recently rebuilt the motor on an A, thought the needle might be sticking and unfortunately, I let him open the carb to check it out. Now we can't seem to get it adjusted. We have repeatedly tried to adjust the idle air mixture, but when we get it under a load or up to speed it sputters as if flooding. (Its almost as though adjusting the mixture has little effect on how she runs - idles ok but sputters at high revs.
                      I was told by the previous owner when the car was restored in the late '90s they installed a B engine from an AA truck (with pressed barrings). The oil filler pipe is larger than most As I have seen, so I believe that to be true. The carb is a Zenith and appears to be exactly like other As.
                      Suggestions???
                      I am not a mechanic, and I fear my friend may have messed up when he reassemble the carb.
                      This is my first experience with the Model A, but I believe its going to be a lifetime love affair.
                      My Sarah
                      This is my Sarah...……..I like green too!!!

Welcome to the VFF
                      Last edited by Apple Green Wheels Rule; 10-07-2018, 01:05 PM.
                      "Bullshit and Brilliance Comes with Age and Experience"

Comment

Wow! Thanks to everyone for the valuable input. I am posting a picture of Sarah's carburetor. I am a little concerned about the fuel mixture from inside the car on the choke. Mine seems to go all the way around, 360°. I tried to reconnect with the sleeve and the sleeve may not be fitting tightly. I will definitely call Mike's and seek professional help on Monday. If this carb is a regular A Zenith, would I be wise to trade it in for a factory rebuilt unit?

Comment

Yes that is a late 1931 Zenith side bowl, correct for the indented firewall.

Comment

Since there are no "factory rebuilds" for that carburetor, it would be wiser to get someone to rebuild it IF you think there is a problem. You might be able to find a "vendor rebuild", but at a terrible price tag as that was a one year only carb, and only half that years production.

The GAV adjustment, the inside turning of the choke rod, has a long thread, try just turning it to the right to see if it closes down completely. If you get it to tighten up, do not wrench it down, only tighten to a snug stop, then back out ½ turn. If you turn it clockwise and all the proper parts are installed, it will close to a tightened position.

If you have any other questions, you can PM me, I will do what I can to help out.
                            You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• mysarah
                              mysarah commented
                              Editing a comment
                              DaWizard you are a genius! GAV was the problem. I followed your instructions this morning and just took Sarah for a 5-mile ride with no hiccups. She cruised right along at 55. Thanks for your help. It's great to have her healthy again.

DaWizard, thanks for the advice on the GAV. I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know.

Comment

If you can take the carb off and bring it over between blairsville and blue ridge ga. I will be glad to help you. we can put it on my car and make sure it is right. also i have a late 31 carb. sitting in the shop that we can try, i rebuilt it but haven't run it. currently running a marvel you can call 706 374 6783 if you wish.

Comment

• mysarah
                                mysarah commented
                                Editing a comment
                                My problem was the GAV. She is now running great. I still hope we can get together, because I would like to get to know other Model A enthusiast here in Northeast Georgia.

Thank you Joe for your help. I could come tomorrow afternoon if you are available. I will give you a call in the morning if that is okay. I am overwhelmed by the responses, thank all of you for your advice.

Comment

Hmmmmmmm: ASK and you were given answers; SEEK and you found; getting close ..... per your above Reply #20 ..... all you have left to do tomorrow is KNOCK !!

Don't you just love this wonderful VFF Forum?

Comment

Yes monday afternoon is fine with me. Wife will likely answer the call, I don't stay in the house much during the day, just tell her it is model A related I will also tell her to expect the call. with any luck we will get it fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe k View Post
                                    Yes monday afternoon is fine with me. Wife will likely answer the call, I don't stay in the house much during the day, just tell her it is model A related I will also tell her to expect the call. with any luck we will get it fixed.

3 ~ Tudor's
                                    Henry Ford said
                                    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Model A people are the best!

Comment

• tbirdtbird
                                        tbirdtbird commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        You got that right!
                                        Location on your User ID can be extremely helpful, there could be another Model A guy just 10 minutes away!

Wow! What a great forum. Getting the GAV adjusted correctly was the problem. My Sarah is running great today, which makes us both very happy campers. Thanks to everyone for your help. My wife and I look forward to many happy years in the Model A community. Thanks for all the help.

Comment