Brassworks radiator!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brassworks radiator!

Received my new Brassworks radiator from Bert's today. It's a beauty! It is one part of my effort to stop my coupe engine from overheating and seizing up. When it cools off a little outside in a couple days (106 tomorrow in Portland, dropping to the 80s next week), I'll try a loose fit of the original shell. Preliminary measurements indicate there should be no problems (not that I expected any). Will report back later.

Good move Ray thanks for the update
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Ray I put a new brassworks in my30 tudor everything went together like the original no issues.

Comment

My fit was perfect, however the '30 style repo caps with flat tabs wouldn't fit. Found one more like an original I have with the roundish bent tabs, along with vaseline on the gasket which made it fit.

Comment

I flushed the radiator out as Brassworks instructs, and did a preliminary fit this morning, and everything looks good. It has to come back out because my engine is still out.

Comment

I fitted a top of the line brassworks radiator to my '29 Phaeton after the old one was found to be not quite able to disperse enough heat. It was no better. Lots of $ down the drain.

Comment

• Bill in Al.
              Bill in Al. commented
              Editing a comment
              Something else is a problem.

• Greynomad
              Greynomad commented
              Editing a comment
              Cooling system clean, water pump new, timing right (auto advance electronic distributor), carburetor fine (rebuilt Stromberg downdraught but not like you guys have - better). What else is there??

Be sure to cover the engine side with a piece of cardboard when you install it. With the engine in it is very easy to dent the fins on the fan nut. Don't ask how I know that.

Comment

sorry , forgot to mention while at it, check the hood/ shell alignment if possible. The additional or lessor number of pads under the radiator tabs may be needed but not totally eliminated. Also, try to get equal spacing from shell bottom edge to the fenders. I also called Brasswork to inquire about the paint they use. It's a diluted oil base flat they buy in quantities. I use the least aggressive rattle cans available by trying finding some without a lot of acetone or pigments in the ingredients.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Mitch
                Brassworks Radiator Debacle
                by Mitch
                When I built Lucy we put in a new Bergs radiator. Since then I decided I wanted the dimpled fin look even though the Bergs has better cooling. Yea well call me nuts if you want to, and I know there is no substitute for better cooling. I pulled the Bergs out being very careful not to scratch Lucy up and layed in the Brassworks show 30-31 radiator. Carefully she went in flawlessly the shell mountings...
                05-27-2018, 12:35 PM
              • dmdeaton
                Radiators
                by dmdeaton
                Brassworks radiators good? I am thinking of one in my future, maybe modern core.
                03-15-2018, 07:16 PM
              • 2manycars
                Brassworks radiator
                by 2manycars
                Both sides of the radiator brackets have come loose from the tank.
                04-23-2018, 03:04 PM
              • sunnyorm
                Original radiator shell
                by sunnyorm
                Well, I finely got my original radiator shell, after going thru several methods, which all proved to be unsuccessful.
                Now the background: first I bought a radiator ('28/29), which turned out to be some aftermarket from a few years back, and turned out to be 5/8" too tall, which, also, would not fit with repro commercial shell, so next, i was able to purchase an original radiator, which...
                07-11-2018, 07:31 PM
              • 2manycars
                Observations on pulling the engine.
                by 2manycars
                I pulled the engine out of the tudor this morning for a refresh, and found a few surprises, and some usual nuttiness from Henry.
                Who thought of running the headlamp wires through the radiator shell should be fired. A real pain with the early headlamps that have the tiny screws attaching the wire to the insulating barrel at the headlamp connection.
                I can guess why original engine splash...
                03-30-2018, 12:15 PM
              • ClaudeC
                Model A vs Model B radiator
                by ClaudeC
                These radiators seem to have identical inlets and outlets yet is the model B radiator different capacity/ greater heat exchange than a model A radiator?
                01-04-2018, 04:26 PM
              • Ray Horton
                UPDATE on my coupe engine rebuild -it runs!
                by Ray Horton
                Finally got my overheating coupe engine reassembled and completed the installation today, including all the finishing touches. There were no leftover parts, and it started on the third turn. It sounds great. The new Brassworks radiator looks beautiful, with only one small hiccup: the lower pass. side shell bracket did not line up with my original shell. The other three mounting screws were right in...
                08-24-2017, 05:59 PM
              • old31
                Bergs Radiator Installed in a 31
                by old31
                I installed a Bergs 13 fin radiator. It is a first class build. WOW, WOW,WOW. Oh did I say wow.

It cooled me off by at least 30 degrees. Before on 20 minute run at 55-60 i would get up to 200-210. No front license plate installed. At 45 mph and under it would stay around 185. The problem was always at speed.

Now, on a 90 degree day at 60 mph for 45 minutes the car stayed...
                07-15-2018, 09:06 AM
              • Mike V. Florida
                Modern radiator core design
                by Mike V. Florida
                There is a radiator manufacturer near me that advertises all types of radiator cores. While I don't need one now I thought I might take an A core down to them and see what they can offer the hobby. I don't think any of the "Model A" radiator guys sell just cores anymore and was wondering if there would be a market for just cores that you would use your tanks....
                09-26-2017, 01:27 AM
              • Hoogah
                Radiator Re-Core
                by Hoogah
                After stuffing around for too long unsuccessfully trying to nurse my maybe 60-year old radiator back into health via soldering and flushing, I admitted defeat and have gone for a re-core. I took the old radiator into the repair man and, after having read a few horror stories in the other place, peppered him with questions about ensuring that his measurements would be sufficient to ensure a good fit....
                07-23-2018, 06:12 AM
              Working...
              X