top wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• top wood

Has anyone ever tried filling the nail holes in the top wood and then successfully nailed the top material and molding down? I'm working on a 30 170B deluxe. I replaced the header but wonder about the rest of the top wood.

I'm surprised that no one has responded to this. I have no personal experience on this but I know there are products on the market that can be used to restore dried out and water softened wood. These are probably resin based and harden holding on to the wood fibers something like bondo on metal. However, I would also think that driving nails into the repaired wood may not hold because the overall composition has been changed. Try it on a small area and see what happens.....

Comment

I do it Brents way. just finished a coupe top last week. Had lots of nail holes.

Comment

I’ve only ever done the windshield screw holes. Similar to Brent's method, using popsicle sticks or other pieces of small wood.
        Jeff
        Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

FWIW:

A. If one has all kinds of wood fastening tack holes, screw holes, and bolt holes to fill for any type of wood work, here is one (1) hobby site where one can find inexpensive wood dowels for many different uses.

B. Wood dowels are also great to have in one's shop for the ancient art of strengthening new or patched wood joints.

C. Just Google: www.createforless.com and under Search, type in: wood dowels.

​​​​​​D. Scroll down further for inexpensive packs of 12" long dowels as small as 1/16" diameter on upwards to larger diameters.

E. For Model A wood roof or wood door work, never a bad idea to always use waterproof glue ..... especially on a Model A driven occasionally in the rain.

Comment

Thanks for the great ideas, I'll give them a try.

Comment

We've used a product called Kwik Poly which is a 2 part type epoxy that comes with a binding powder which looks like baking flour. It was surprisingly strong and held wood screws after predrilling in areas with bad access.I suppose one can use fine hardwood sawdust as a binder also. One can make a small form out of stiff paper, etc. to prevent it from flowing out in some areas. We didn't use it for tacks but it held barbed nails OK. As stated, the dowels, etc. held in with Gorilla glue work well also, especially for the inside garnish molding finishing screws.
              Last edited by plyfor; 09-12-2018, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Like Brent said above, artificial substances like epoxy or bondo just don't last. It's like using bondo to fix a rotted piece of wood on your house. It's ok to use on a house if you are selling it in a month or two, but it will fail between the wood and the bondo. Good enough to make it past initial inspection and maybe 6 months after that and it's back to crap after that. Fix failed pieces of wood with new.

Comment

While on the subject of wood what did Ford use for wood? On the same breathe what is recommended?

Comment

• Tom Wesenberg
                    Tom Wesenberg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    All the wood in mine has been Maple

Hardwoods from the U.P. of Michigan. I've seen maple and ash. I doubt oak. Cut around Paqaming, Iron Mountain . Rough cut in Alberta and shipped out of Lanse and Kingsford. I'm sure there were several other sources.
                  Lanse, MI as in Lanse green.
                  Kingsford as in Kingsford cgarcoal.
                  http://jmodela.coffeecup.com

Comment

• pAAt
                    pAAt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice history lesson Jim !

Stand corrected on the oak . What I thought was ash must have been birch.
                  Do you have the m-1208 spec sheet?

Comment

"Linderman Joints Permissible"..........is that what I've always called a "Finger Joint", where several VVVVV cuts fit together?

Comment

Found this on the MTFCA site. Double taper dovetail.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1314939430

Comment

I will no doubt use red oak. It is available here easier than birch or ash.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• 28A
                          What to use for wood preservative
                          by 28A
                          Got a Briggs body with some wood that needs to be fixed up. What are we using for new or existing wood to protect it?
                          I've heard boiled linseed oil is good as well as Gilsonite, but I have no idea where to source Gilsonite?...
                          08-22-2018, 09:49 PM
                        • RockHillWill
                          Looking for any Model A Ford wood related information or 'notes'
                          by RockHillWill
                          I have been attending a wood working class locally for about two years and at each event there is some one that presents about an hour talking about some sort of a wood project. I am just a little bit smarter than a rock about wood working, but feel that I ought to contribute in some way, and all I could think of was something like: 'Using Wood in Vintage Auto Restoration'. I thought that I could...
                          01-15-2019, 07:38 AM
                        • mshmodela
                          HF wood dollys
                          by mshmodela
                          I saw in "Model A News" the use of Harbor Freight wood moves followers under a Model A each wheel.

Now there are some things I would trust to Harbor Freight but not a 2,700lbs car. If the wood was very solid Oak and quality wheels wood would be fine.
                          02-13-2018, 03:49 PM
                        • wrndln
                          Glue to glue top bow wood
                          by wrndln
                          I have some top irons for my 29 phaeton that need some wood installed toward the top part. I am planning to use thin strips of hard wood, like white ash. I will either steam the strips or soak them in water to make them pliable, I am looking for some glue that will work on wet wood. I have heard there is a product like I need, but I don't know what the name is. Any help would be appreciated....
                          08-28-2019, 06:20 PM
                        • wrndln
                          Kwik Poly
                          by wrndln
                          There was a product called Kwik Poly. It was a 2 part epoxy product, I think, that could be used to repair decayed wood, like body sill wood. It appears the company that made it went out of business. Does anyone have any information about Kwik Poly or a similar product that can be used to repair wood?
                          Thanks
                          Rusty Nelson
                          07-12-2019, 04:44 PM
                        • Bill G
                          Vendor recommendation for top wood '29 Tudor
                          by Bill G
                          I have a '29 Tudor with some very questionable and even rotten wood. I have seen some vendors who sell wood kits. Fordwood, Classic wood Products, and it seems too, all the Model A vendors, Bert's Bratton's, Snyders, Mike's, Mac's, CW Moss, Sacramento, and probably others. It looks like the going price for a top wood kit is just north of $600, especially when considering shipping and hardware....
                          06-12-2018, 01:13 AM
                        • dmdeaton
                          Top Wood Question
                          by dmdeaton
                          How do the wood kits from Classic Wood Products rate? I am thinking of ordering a top kit for the fordor. I sawed out some new top ribs and planned on scabbing them in this winter, but I am thinking of the whole kit now. I need to research some on what its going to take to get this project started....
                          05-09-2019, 07:44 PM
                        • gdaquilina
                          Treating original wood?
                          by gdaquilina
                          I will soon start removing the original interior of my Town Sedan to install the new Classtique interior expected in late December. Since much of the original wood will be exposed is it worth applying any treatment to it? From a few sections that I have previously exposed the original wood is in very good condition. The threads that I found on the forum seemed to deal with treating new wood or repairing...
                          11-24-2019, 07:31 PM
                        • Bill G
                          Nice ending to a wood header issue
                          by Bill G
                          At the tail end of summer I was installing a top wood kit for my '29 Tudor After a lot of work, the last step was to install the header piece. It did, as the Les Andrews book suggests, take some sanding in order to make the bull-nose piece fit properly, and some to get the bottom to fit the contour of the outside ends. After all that, I went to put the piece in place with the 3M sealer, clamps and...
                          10-23-2018, 12:05 PM
                        • Dennis
                          Wood Kits
                          by Dennis
                          Well I didn't have much luck finding an answer maybe I'm doing something wrong. Who do you recommend for a wood kit for most of the top on a 1930 Coupe, Deluxe if there is a difference?
                          08-03-2019, 01:08 AM
                        Working...
                        X