TIMING "HUMOR"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIMING "HUMOR"

I'll NEVER run out of "HUMOR" as long as timing problems exist! ANYTIME there's a problem, "IT'S THE TIMING"--LOL
    Terms like, "Whar's the dimple"?---"Looked with a flashlight"---"Felt with a wire"---"Thumb in the plug hole"---"Dial indicator"---"WHICH cylinder"?-----"WHY??? TDC"?----"Maybe the crank gear slipped"???---"I can SEE the piston"!!!---Etc.
    Remember, if timing's OK & after quite a few miles, sweet spot or best running spot GRADUALLY changes, just re-set points to .020, grease the lobe & all is WELL again!!---"Sometimes" we're our own WORST ENEMIES!!---Chief called it, "OVER-DOODLING"!!!

Reminds me, a Guy looks at his watch, asks, "What time do you have"?---Other Guy sez, "10:10"---"Duz your watch run FAST or SLOW"?----"Loses 3 minutes a day"----They BOTH re-adjust & go away as if they're the ONLY ones in the WORLD, with the CORRECT time----LOL
    I've tiped the proper sounds a Model A should make, when it's PERFECTLY TIMED! Find it & READ & RE-READ it. I'm TOO TIRED to tipe it agin!---("Maybe" MY timing's off??)
    Bill Odd

Bill you probably run fast in the morning and slow in the afternoon, like a lot of of us.

Comment

• DaWizard
      DaWizard commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL, hey Chief, if that is indeed the case, his timing is never right!!

• BILL WILLIAMSON
      BILL WILLIAMSON commented
      Editing a comment
      Chief,
      I HATE mornings, I can hardly move, after my ANTI-PAIN-PILL & 2 cups of JET-FUEL Coffee, I begin to pick up speed, up to 2 MPH, then it's bedtime & do the same routine AGAIN! Never know what the Dog will do, sometimes up early with me, sometimes out harassing the CATS & sometimes sleeps in for an hour & a half!
      Bill Oldandslow
      Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 08-01-2017, 07:19 PM.

Too bad he is not at gettysburg helping his son make new friends.

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Amen chief

Related Topics

Collapse

• Tom Wesenberg
    Spark Timing, Set It and Forget It, Timing info, Timing lights 101
    by Tom Wesenberg
    Spark Timing, Set It and Forget It,

There are at least a couple ways to set the timing. You first must set the point gap, and I always set mine to .020" with the points setting on the highest part of the cam lobe. This remains the same whether you use the "A" cam or "B" cam. After the points gap is set, you can then push the spark lever all the way up,...
    05-16-2017, 02:34 PM
  • tbirdtbird
    Timing, does it matter?
    by tbirdtbird
    Not long ago Wild Bill Williamson gave us a brainteaser regarding turns of the crank with a multi-cylinder motor. Engine timing is a brainteaser to many.

Let's start a thread and have opinions given about various timing issues.
    For example,
    1. Does it really matter anyway? Just what is it? Is it more than a pin shoved in a hole?
    2. is there such a thing as too advanced...
    04-02-2018, 04:06 PM
  • Manager
    A couple of questions on spark timing.
    by Manager
    I'm going to set the timing as per Tom's post . It has got to the stage my car won't run sweet unless the advance /retard is in the last 3 clicks all the way retarded.(down) I'm thinking the timing needs reseting? I checked the working of the lever and it is working correctly as in all the way up just on one side of the slot all the way down just on the other side. Am I on the right track or is it...
    06-02-2017, 01:18 AM
  • DaWizard
    Having timing problems
    by DaWizard
    I need to pick the brains of those here..

Let's say I had a B block with B timing cover with an A cam.

Would setting the timing with the pin in the B hole into an A cam timing gear make the timing ahead so far that after setting the timing advancing the spark handle make the engine too far advanced as to make the engine stutter and fall on it's face?
    05-27-2018, 10:19 AM
  • Mitch
    Timing lights 101
    by Mitch
    I received a PM regarding the use of those Timing indicators that bolt onto the front cover. Are they needed? NO...

Find TDC with the timing pin...
    Put a dot on the crank pulley and a dot on the front cover so that it is even with the dot on the crank pulley. The location of the dots on the pulley does not matter, just as long as they are directly across from each other.
    Use...
    09-07-2017, 08:18 PM
  • Tom Wesenberg
    Spark Timing, Set It and Forget It
    by Tom Wesenberg
    There are at least a couple ways to set the timing. You first must set the point gap, and I always set mine to .020" with the points setting on the highest part of the cam lobe. This remains the same whether you use the "A" cam or "B" cam. After the points gap is set, you can then push the spark lever all the way up, which is where it should always be when starting the engine....
    05-16-2017, 02:34 PM
  • canadian
    timing
    by canadian
    trying to get some bugs out of a 2 year project, I am on the road but have a couple of concerns... had fuel running out of carb when engine shut off and figured out a float setting issue.... engine starts instantly , but my concern is that advance is to full of its stroke for engine to sound healthy... GAV shows immediate response to turning and also AIR /Fuel mixture screw set at 1 1/2 turns and...
    05-29-2018, 03:23 PM
  • BudP
    Recommendation for Timing Equipment
    by BudP
    In 1972 when my time in the USMCR ended I found myself with some free time on weekends I wasn't working. I enrolled in a local vocational tech school to learn auto electronics and timing. It lasted four Saturdays: the first Saturday was on theory while the second and third Saturdays were hands-on. The fourth Saturday was the relatively "new" electronic ignition system. Time passes. ...
    06-04-2018, 03:48 PM
  • BILL WILLIAMSON
    READ & RE-READ!
    by BILL WILLIAMSON
    I read & re-read, OFTEN I find something I MIS-UNDERSTOOD & change my mind about my REPLIES & have to APOLOGIZE to the WORLD!
    Bill Dufus
    08-17-2017, 12:47 PM
  • Mike V. Florida
    Timing check, no test light required
    by Mike V. Florida
    This is from Larry Brumfield,

Here’s a good and easy and accurate way to check to make sure you have your engine correctly timed. No test light required.

Remove #1 spark plug and position it so you can see the plug spark by laying it on its side to touch a head nut for ground. Attach a wire from the distributor body to the plug to conduct the spark to the plug.
    05-19-2017, 12:36 AM
Working...
X